Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nomex Flyer jacket

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Most excellent looking jacket, and excellent photos. I agree perfect fit too! What size is that?

Now you've got to find a vintage bi-swing Greenbrier 45/P, plus get a couple of 36/P summer jackets. I think you'll find the 36/P is an all-round great warm weather jacket. I love mine.

I might also suggest a 106/P, but before you buy let me know and I will advise on size.

Hey Dr Damage, how is the size of the 106/p so special?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Justhandguns said:
Hey Dr Damage, how is the size of the 106/p so special?
I have several 45/P and 36/P jackets in Large and they fit me just right, although the sleeves are just barely long enough. I have two 106/P jackets, one in Large Long and one Medium Long. I bought the LL thinking I'd need the same size and why not get some extra sleeve length; it fits huge, much bigger than a 36/P jacket in L. It's comfortable if you don't mind a loose fit and you can fit a dozen layers underneath (which is actually how it's intended to be worn). So I got the ML and it fits just right except the waistband is uncomfortably tight. Basically, these 106/P jackets fit much, much bigger in the chest than the 36/P jackets. I suppose if you're in the military you will wear several layers underneath them so the extra room is welcome, but if you're a civilian and wearing only a thin layer underneath then you should probably size down (like when buying a G&B jacket). You can get them in three lengths, short regular and long, which is nice. But they do seem to fit long as well. Anyways, those are my observations, for what they're worth. Also they're not as waterproof as advertised, plus they're very expensive new and used, so unless you're obsessed with nomex flight jackets, then most people should just stick with the 45/P and 36/P jackets.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have several 45/P and 36/P jackets in Large and they fit me just right, although the sleeves are just barely long enough. I have two 106/P jackets, one in Large Long and one Medium Long. I bought the LL thinking I'd need the same size and why not get some extra sleeve length; it fits huge, much bigger than a 36/P jacket in L. It's comfortable if you don't mind a loose fit and you can fit a dozen layers underneath (which is actually how it's intended to be worn). So I got the ML and it fits just right except the waistband is uncomfortably tight. Basically, these 106/P jackets fit much, much bigger in the chest than the 36/P jackets. I suppose if you're in the military you will wear several layers underneath them so the extra room is welcome, but if you're a civilian and wearing only a thin layer underneath then you should probably size down (like when buying a G&B jacket). You can get them in three lengths, short regular and long, which is nice. But they do seem to fit long as well. Anyways, those are my observations, for what they're worth. Also they're not as waterproof as advertised, plus they're very expensive new and used, so unless you're obsessed with nomex flight jackets, then most people should just stick with the 45/P and 36/P jackets.

Wow, that is very useful! I shall keep them in mind when I decide to get the 106/p.

jback

Familiar Face
Most excellent looking jacket, and excellent photos. I agree perfect fit too! What size is that?

Now you've got to find a vintage bi-swing Greenbrier 45/P, plus get a couple of 36/P summer jackets. I think you'll find the 36/P is an all-round great warm weather jacket. I love mine.

I might also suggest a 106/P, but before you buy let me know and I will advise on size.

Hold your horses, doc! lol lolI'm still a leather jacket guy! The jacket is size large.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ I should have said that the 106/P jackets are not only big in the chest and upper arms, but tight in the waist, so you'd better have an athletic build or be a 22 year old airman or helo crewman for it to fit. Also, they're a much more technical jacket than the older nomex, so they aren't as "wearable" by civilians. I showed one to an exec at one company I work with and he said he prefers the sheen and style of the old nomex better, and I have to agree the 45/P and 36/P jackets look like cool flight jackets. I'm keeping my 106/P jackets since they're waterproof enough for a walk in the rain and because I'm obsessed with nomex, lol

But to be blunt, most people should stick to old nomex and vintage/repro nylon, or leather.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a USAF pilot and Polish Air Force pilot on an exchange meeting. Look at that awesome embroidered image on the back of the Polish pilot's nomex jacket!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
USAF website guide to nomex jackets:

flight_jacket_1.png

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
^ I should have said that the 106/P jackets are not only big in the chest and upper arms, but tight in the waist, so you'd better have an athletic build or be a 22 year old airman or helo crewman for it to fit. Also, they're a much more technical jacket than the older nomex, so they aren't as "wearable" by civilians. I showed one to an exec at one company I work with and he said he prefers the sheen and style of the old nomex better, and I have to agree the 45/P and 36/P jackets look like cool flight jackets. I'm keeping my 106/P jackets since they're waterproof enough for a walk in the rain and because I'm obsessed with nomex, lol

But to be blunt, most people should stick to old nomex and vintage/repro nylon, or leather.

For jackets, leather or nomex are the only way to go. Having been in the center of a fuel fire within a few feet of point of ignition when it lit up, I'd pass on the nylon, because when it burns, it drips and sticks to skin.

Litag8r

New in Town
Probably way too late to answer the initial question about size, but this is a flight jacket made for pilots and aircrew. That means that it is designed to be worn, in part, while seated. So it is waist length (short) with lots of room in the chest. This is my first post on TFL, so I have included a picture of the tag and the jacket while worn (if the link works right). I wear a 32 waist jeans and 43 chest jacket. This is a Large size (42-44) jacket and it is almost too large in the torso for my taste. I have my shirt out, but you can see that it comes just to my belt. You can also see that I have to pull it a bit to zip it up. I also have to admit that I found it at an antique mall for $30. I had to seek the advice of another TFL member to understand the value I got. I got the black leather tab (actually 4 of them) from www.flightbadge.com for the incredible price of $20 even though they had to create the combat crew badge for the first time for me. I have ordered a replacement unit patch from eBay to avoid digging through the attic for mine. Ironically I paid less for the tab and patch that I did for the originals when I was in the Air Force and Ronald Reagan was the POTUS. As to the tag, I can't make out whether the first letter is a C, an S, or a 6; although it should be a C. Of course mine was made by the low-bidder-cancelled-contractor Irsatex, so who knows.

TPD166

One Too Many
Welcome to Lounge (it's about time) - jacket looks great!

Probably way too late to answer the initial question about size, but this is a flight jacket made for pilots and aircrew. That means that it is designed to be worn, in part, while seated. So it is waist length (short) with lots of room in the chest. This is my first post on TFL, so I have included a picture of the tag and the jacket while worn (if the link works right). I wear a 32 waist jeans and 43 chest jacket. This is a Large size (42-44) jacket and it is almost too large in the torso for my taste. I have my shirt out, but you can see that it comes just to my belt. You can also see that I have to pull it a bit to zip it up. I also have to admit that I found it at an antique mall for $30. I had to seek the advice of another TFL member to understand the value I got. I got the black leather tab (actually 4 of them) from www.flightbadge.com for the incredible price of $20 even though they had to create the combat crew badge for the first time for me. I have ordered a replacement unit patch from eBay to avoid digging through the attic for mine. Ironically I paid less for the tab and patch that I did for the originals when I was in the Air Force and Ronald Reagan was the POTUS. As to the tag, I can't make out whether the first letter is a C, an S, or a 6; although it should be a C. Of course mine was made by the low-bidder-cancelled-contractor Irsatex, so who knows.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fit is fine: note how it's just right in the shoulders. These are short but they're also "wide" if you know what I mean, so if you're thin they'll always be a bit blousy. Looking at my notes I've seen jackets made by Isratex with dates from 1985 to 1992, so your jacket is from near the end of that company's contract (although I'm not sure which year was their last - the next I have is Alpha in 1995). And yes the first letter is a C... that particular tag looks like it had a wrinkle in it when it was printed, because the ink is smeared in several places. Prices of these are gradually rising, so you did get a good deal. Anyways, thanks for posting!

Litag8r

New in Town
How does Nomex wear compared to nylon? Fire is no risk for me but how is it with abrasion and water?

I don't have a "nylon" jacket per se, but I have several that are made out of nylon-like synthetics (windbreakers and rain jackets). This jacket looks shiny and slippery--just like nylon--but has more hand to it than that. The material feels bulletproof--literally (but it is not, so don't try and then blame me). (And by literally, I mean the 2014 literally, not the 2015 literally which means figuratively since they had to change the definition because the Twitterati could not keep the two words separated. But I digress.) We have had unseasonably warm weather, no doubt thanks in part to my carbon footprint, and I have a bunch of jacket vying for my attention, so I have not worn it much. However I have worn it a few times in light rain and cool conditions. I rains all winter in Georgia. The rain was not a problem. The jacket is also warmer than I would think for a fairly thin jacket. I suspect a Thinsulate like material sewn into the liner. I would not hesitate to wear this jacket for the roughest activities unlike Nylon jackets that could pick. A rain jacket it is not. But my jacket would laugh at the thought of abrasion and light rain. Next time it pours I will put it to the test and report back. I suspect that I will be warm and dry (so long as I have on a good hat and boots).

As an aside, I'm planning on repopulating my jacket with some appropriate patches that were sadly removed prior to my purchase. (I bet they thought they would get more $ for the jacket without the patches. Boy were they wrong!) If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'm going to start with some patches from my former USAF unit until I find something more exciting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran