1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Notre Dame Cathedral

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Apr 16, 2019.

1. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

A fascinating, but so cynically true, text that I received from a good friend, made me think about Notre Dame's reconstruction. My friend noted that in WW2, the cities of Coventry & Dresden were bombed to oblivion. Dresden's Gothic Cathedral rose from the ashes, painstakingly over many decades. Coventry got a slab sided, modernistic monstrosity. I do hope that the French take the same route as Dresden.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean Call Me a Cab

Let' not forget, only the roof was burnt down, the rest is still standing so not really in the same category as other cathedrals that were completely destroyed. Besides, the whole world is watching which may help those involved from not " Creating a carbuncle on the face of an old friend." ;)

Edward and Zombie_61 like this.
  3. Lean'n'mean

Sooooooo, the cost of the repairs for this edifice has been estimated at between 300 million & 600 million euros. The installation of the scaffolding alone is expected to cost 25 million.....jeez, those guys know how to charge.:eek:
    Anyway, the debate is now on; what to do with the rest of the dough. I say don't make any plans yet 'cause when it comes to building work, the final bill is usually considerably higher than the initial estimate.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

A new railway line across London, via a tunnel was estimated to cost £2Billion at 1993 prices, it should have been finished last year. The opening date keeps getting pushed back, now we are looking at 2021, and the cost? £21Billion and counting.

5. Artifex

Artifex Familiar Face

The authorities who put these jobs out for tender have a habit of giving it to whomever promises to do it fastest and cheapest. Since the techniques used for such work are generally well-established standards, the prime ways for a company to make such a promise are:
    1. Be incompetent at planning
    2. Do a substandard job that technically meets the specifications
    3. Lie
    With such credentials, is it any wonder that these projects routinely run into difficulties?

On the other hand, I strongly believe that any nation with the economic resources to do so should invest in sustainable infrastructure. The construction of railways (preferably electric ones) has enormous long-term benefits at every level. What would London be without the Underground?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. Edward

Edward Bartender

It would be interesting to peak into an alternative London where the tube did not run... certainly in the short term (as we see when there is industrial action) there would be chaos. It's frustrating to see crossrail running so slow, but at least the work is happening..... one of our former mayors had to resort to campaigning to host the Olympics to strongarm central authorities into investing in the long-underfunded tube over a decade ago. It was dreadful having the Olympics here, but the long run benefit to transport was great.

Always going to be a balance between such precautions and preservation of historical originality.

Absolutely, though that doesn't necessarily detract from them haing grat cultural significance and therefore value.

No doubt, though at the same time I know that St Paul's here in London - and, I'm told, Westminster Abbey - costs so much to run that it would be very difficult to keep open but for the tourist income, so it's not purely a profit-driven affair.

It was similar in the UK in the wake of the Windsor Castle fire in 1992: turhed out then that no insurance at all covered the building, because it was simply rated as uninsurable given that a claim would inevitably mean the total bankruptcy of any firm who had taken it on. Initial suggestions that the public purse would meet the £36.5million cost (closer GBP60 million in today's money) were somewhat controversial. In the end, 70% of the cost was covered by opening Buckingham Palace as a tourist attraction for part of the year (this was based on an initial five-year period, but proved sufficiently popular and thus profitable that it became a standing arrangement). The Queen also contributed GBP2 million from her private wealth, and further agreed to pay income tax from 1993, becoming the first monarch since the 1930s to do so. Assuming the donations to Notre Damme tat have already been pledged materialise, they aren't likely to have a problem funding it.

Something lost and yet something added to the rich history of buildings which are often, it is easy to forget, still living places of worship for many people, not just an an cient building prese4rved in aspic.

7. Haversack

Haversack Practically Family

The day after the fire I was feeling somewhat depressed so I watched the 1966 movie about the liberation of Paris, Is Paris Burning? The cathedral plays a central role in the film. I had also forgotten that the end credits feature an aerial colour shot of Notre Dame from a helicopter circling around it.

8. A couple of other notable examples are Cloth Hall in Ypres, Belgium (destroyed during WW1) and St Mark's Campanille in Venice, Italy (collapsed in 1902, rebuilt 1910-12)

9. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Practically Family

10. Lean'n'mean

Amusing as the proposals are, it looks like the roof will be reconstructed similar to how it was since being a historical building, there are limits both structurally & legally as to what can be done.

Edward and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. Artifex

Artifex Familiar Face

Somewhere, out of the public gaze, a lone competent architect is moaning in despair at the abandonment of aesthetics and ignorance of history that these lunatics have brought down upon the profession.

Buzzwords and poetic gibberish are no consolation to the future populations that would have to put up with those carbuncles.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  12. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Meanwhile, the "architects" who designed Las Vegas' current incarnation are jumping for joy. :rolleyes: