Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Dutch Chases Dirt - But Do You? How?

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Plus tax. The week it was finished and every 6 months thereafter.

What to do with the dusty doodads? I have little antique bulldogs all over the place, and the little nits gather dust faster than their live counterparts. Have you noticed that you can carefully clean the shelves in the china cupboard/cabinet and soon after, remove something to show someone and there it is: a dustless spot where the object sat, surrounded by gray fluff...
I know a lot of you are compulsive readers. Books and bookshelves are a particular chore. I tend to find drama in pulling a fat volume off the shelf and blowing the dust away before opening it, but that's me.
You want to see dirt? Open the case of your computer. Or turn your keyboard upside down and give it a shake. :)

Try Tilex Root Penetrator. The stuff is like holy water. Comes in a blue container, not to be confused with the regular Tilex that comes in the white container. Just spray and walk away. Be warned, the stuff has a very strong smell.

Other than that, the 99 cent Comet container is my arsenal. Of course, there's the swiffer...

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Thanks to both Rosie and ClassicIsBetter! I was hoping to r... flush out some new stuf to try.

and Classic: Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Thanks! Been on here lurking for quite some time now. The irony of making a "clean" start on a thread of this nature...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I admit that my absolute nemesis is paperwork. No matter how much I file or think I have gotten rid of, it seems that piles of paper grow around the house because they demand follow-up attention. Our office desperately needs a major filing and cleaning effort. Not this week, though.:(

No wonder I like email and online transactions.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I don't clean nearly as often as I should, especially with a cat in the house (the great hairy beast, GHB for short). I have never been the type person who can do a surface clean and be happy with it. When I clean it is an all day affair and everything gets moved, cleaned, washed, you name it. My least favorite chore of all is floors. Hate doing them, so they end up rarely getting done. But I love doing windows, figure that.

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
The wife and I usually share all the cleaning duties. Every so often we decide it is time to clean, we break up the jobs and then get to it. No set routine, just whatever is dirtiest gets cleaned first and then move on down the list. Oh, and Old Dutch is truly awesome. I love that stuff. It reminds me of my Grandmother because she always had a can out cleaning something.

Haversack

One Too Many
Dust cloths are good for woodwork, particularly with a little polish. However, do not use on electronics or the television screen. For that, an old cotton t-shirt, (NO PRINTING!), works best. For all the knick-knacks, especially if you do not want to pick them up and wipe them individually, a good old feather duster works very well. The Vermont Country Store sells a decent one. Similarly, the Fuller Brush dust mop makes quick work for cleaning hardwood floors on a routine basis. For the stone flooring in the bath and kitchen, hot water and Pine-sol applied with a mop is just about as quick as using the vacuum and gets it much cleaner. Having a comfortable scrub brush is occassionaly necessary as ground-in food particles can be otherwise difficult to remove. The vacuum does get used on the rugs, laundry, and for extensive cleaning. (Do your PMCS on it before using as a full or dirty vacuum just redistributes the dust.) For the stainless steel kitchen sinks and the enameled bathtub, I use Comet and let it sit damp for a while. A scrub brush is then applied.

Haversack.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
When I really want to get the house clean, I invite company over. All the cleaning gets done so much faster and better when I'm motivated to avoid embarassment.

This is my mother's strategy as well :)

I too, find I do best when I have routine for cleaning. Now if only I could settle my life down enough to have routines for anything...

Clean?

Clean? And keep the dust bunnies from breeding? My 1948-ish mid century modern apartment is quite drafty and dusty with much particulate matter from a busy nearby avenue. A splash of white vinnegar in water to mop the aging hardwood floors, a soft brush for dust - been using my hat brush - shame. Shop vac for floor dust & parrot debris. Otherwise looks prety much like the dusty museum it is. BarKeepers Friend scrub powder for tile but carefull, it is powerful - Rubber glove time, too. Wishing for glass display cabinet/s for knicknac ephemera - reduces dust and presents "stuff" nicely.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
magneto said:
Now Tony, "cleaning" is a ritual performed by gentlemen who want to make a good impression on ladies and thus no longer be bachelors. ;)

Lol isn't that what my housekeeper is for?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I operate on the less is more principle.

You can do anything for 15 min.

So set a timer, pick something and clean it up for 15 min. Then stop.

You will make a bigger dent in things then you would beleive. And it never gets to where its this giant 'oh I have to spend the whole -day- cleaning' torture chamber.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
I'm pretty bad about cleaning myself.

But, in a general sense, I do hear one can help cut down on how fast the dust accumulates by making sure you keep your heating/ac systems filters clean (and using good filters).

Rafter

Suspended
Paisley said:
When I really want to get the house clean, I invite company over. All the cleaning gets done so much faster and better when I'm motivated to avoid embarassment.

Just completed a full Spring cleaning over the weekend! You name it the works.
Painted the porch, railings, and doors. Even washed all the air conditioner filters, and the spreads and drapes!! Who would have "thunK", they're actually white.
Saved the worst of the cleaning for last.....the bathroom, the floors, and the windows. Did them just before I had some "company" over. It does take some motivation to do those mighty three gruesome tasks. As for Dutch Cleanser, can't use it. Prefer "Ajax"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24