Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orignal A-2 Jacket Care

Deacon

Familiar Face
I have an original WW2 Rough Wear A-2, and I was wondering whether it was best to keep it on a hanger or laid out flat in a drawer or trunk? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Actually I'd be interested in hearing what the experts here have to say on this too.

I read somewhere not terribly long ago that keeping leather jackets on coat-hangers was bad for them, something about stretching the leather or what not over time. Now this was the first I'd heard of this and I store all the jackets I own, leather or otherwise, on coat-hangers. To be honest, I thought it seemed like the writer was a little neurotic. But joking aside is there some truth in this or is it bunkum?

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Putting leather jackets on hangers depends on the hanger. What I mean by this is that if the hanger is thin say a wire type, this may over time leave an impression or even stretch part of the leather. This or course will vary due to the thickness of the leather and indeed the weight of the jacket pulling on the pressure points on the hanger. I believe that Eastmans recommends putting leather jackets on wide wooden hangers (thus spreading the load) and sheepskin jackets are to be laid flat (they are heavy and the sheepskin is more prone to stretching).

I myself use wide ended hangers that fit the shoulder width of my jackets. I am not an expert but like you have thought about this and like to take the best care of my jackets.

Having said that they do get a tough time when worn!:)

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
I have several of the following hangers that I put leather jackets on. They are plastic, but are quite wide, tip to tip and the ends are flared out nicely to protect the shoulder area.

They are available at "The Container Store" which is a nation-wide chain of office and home supply specialty item providers. The photo of the hanger in question doesn't make it look that great, but the look much better when you actually see one and I have had good luck with them for medium heavy leather jackets. The hanger in question is this one:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=146&PRODID=10014595

J.A. Dubow

Windsock

A-List Customer
I only keep my Goodwear United Sheeplined and RMNZ Dubow on hangars as they are new. All my others ( 3 Irvins and 5 A-2's are originals and I store them lying flat (I like to think they're resting) in ventilated suiters with cedar balls and air them out at regular intervals and check for aging/ damage/ critters. If one is displayed it's on a torso body form or a highly padded out hangar for a limited time. I don't think this is perfect but I haven't thought of anything better yet.

Sitting a heavy old jacket straight on a normal hanger will over time definitely affect the shape of it- especially with something as heavy as an Irvin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR