Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

cowboy76 said:
They cost much less because they do not garuntee their tires like Coker does,..I know because i was going to go with Diamondback untill I asked them about their garuntee....its lousy. Coker offers tire insurance that runs $10 bucks a tire,...they replaced the tires if anything happens to them. Cokers are also made in America, I'm not sure about Diamondbacks,...they may be as well.

Diamond backs are made here as well. Ohio if I remember right.
Coker needs the guarantee. Their tires wear like tissue paper. :p
I've had both. I know which lasts longer. Its no contest. :D

Forgotten Man said:
It's not slow, it's a cruiser-mobile ;) it just likes to take it’s time, see and it ain't big compared to the 50's land yachts ya mug!:p

Oh, there will be a 15mph speed limit within the down town area! And outer speed limits on the open roads will be set at 45mph!;) So, my "Brick" as James calls it will be a hopped up speed queen by those speed limits! lol

Sure, handcuff all my cars because yours can't keep up. My cars coast at 15mph. ;) :p
I think we can put a blower on yours and a few side draft carbs to make it road worthy. :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
jamespowers said:

James, they wear like tissue paper because the way you drive :p My bias ply tires last for about 25,000. miles or so… roughly about a year or more.

I don't buy Coker, I buy Firestone! Coker also supplies good reproduction bias ply tiers perfect for vintage autos.;)

Forgotten Man said:
James, they wear like tissue paper because the way you drive :p My bias ply tires last for about 25,000. miles or so… roughly about a year or more.

I don't buy Coker, I buy Firestone! Coker also supplies good reproduction bias ply tiers perfect for vintage autos.;)

25,000 miles!? :eek: What are you doing? Doughnuts in a parking lot? :p
Tires should last much longer than that. I get way more than that out of mine.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, that's what they're rated at... but, I may get more out of them. I don't drive very long distances unless I drive out to Redlands now and again and that's only 65 miles.

I only put period correct bias ply on my car... and I know they didn't last that long even in the 40's... that's how it was since day one. ;)

We'd have a tire store next to the fillin' station and one can buy the widest of white walls or the darkest of black walls! All sizes tube type or tubeless. :)

Also, the employees will wear olive green or khaki coveralls with matching caps with black bills and black bowties!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Okay, if I gotta keep the Firebirds garaged except heading out to or back from the outside world, can I at least run the DeLorean?
"It's a... weather experiment."--Dr. Emmett L. Brown, November 1955

lol

lol... nice try! Just keep it under a tarp and for quick errands to the future ;) HAHAHA!

Man, I slay my self!:p

cowboy76

Suspended
jamespowers said:

Well I'm strickly a Bias-Ply man myself,...I havent looked recently,..does diamondback even make a bias-ply? I've had Cokers on three cars so far,..two got a lot of use,...my old truck I used to have got a LOT of use, and I never really noticed much wear.....[huh]

I DID however see a Coker tire on a car with a bubble,..NOT kosher!!!:eek: More like a "DEATH DOUGHNUT!!!!"

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ada Cowboy!

I'm a bias ply man too... even though the ride of radials are superior, I just love the way my bias ply pie crust edge tires look! I'm all about the Firestone Deluxe Champions! They just have the look! Also I hear BF Goodrich also offers a good period styled black wall! I was going to look into buying some but, they're priced higher then the Firestones.:rolleyes:

I used to roll with Wide Whites but, I'm now a black wall man! Just as how my car would have rolled off the line in '46.

1946plymouthp15deluxetj2.jpg

This is another reason why I love Fierstone's... They'er Gum-Dipped!
au30335.jpg

firestone.jpg

cowboy76 said:
Well I'm strickly a Bias-Ply man myself,...I havent looked recently,..does diamondback even make a bias-ply? I've had Cokers on three cars so far,..two got a lot of use,...my old truck I used to have got a LOT of use, and I never really noticed much wear.....[huh]

I DID however see a Coker tire on a car with a bubble,..NOT kosher!!!:eek: More like a "DEATH DOUGHNUT!!!!"

Nope. Diamond Back doesn't produce bias ply tires. They give a few reasons why they only sell radials:
• easier steering
• quicker steering response
• improved ride
• better stability
• less “wandering”
• less road shock
• better puncture resistance
• less rolling resistance
• better fuel economy
• better braking
• improved traction
• longer tread life
• much safer
The DB Classics also have a three year warranty.
I used to get about six months out of Coker bias plys on my 59 oldsmobile. Denman classics are even worse and no, I don't work for Diamond Back. I just like my tires to last. ;) :D

Regards,

J

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Getting "tired" of this topic

Sorry guys, you can continue this discussion in the back room.
I want to make a suggestion here. Many years ago a friend of mine from
western Pennsylvania and I decided to create the Mythical State of Alleghany. Having grown up in that area, and loving its sort of worn down charm, we decided to create this state that would have everything old fashioned that we loved. It comprises the three western counties of New York (Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Allegany) the western half of Pennsylvania, and the entire state of West Virginia. It would be (we hoped) the poorest state in the Union. But it would have lots of character.
I'm realizing that some people may want our vintage town to be a small village of maybe a couple thousand souls. Others may want a thriving sub metropolis of a couple hundred thousand. Solution? Our own vintage state!
We would have access to the open sea via the port of Erie, Pa. We'd have a huge number of late nineteenth and early 20th century commercial and industrial buildings. We'd have plenty of coal, and good old Pennsylvania grade crude oil.
Is this an idea whose time has come?

dhermann1 said:
Sorry guys, you can continue this discussion in the back room.
I want to make a suggestion here. Many years ago a friend of mine from
western Pennsylvania and I decided to create the Mythical State of Alleghany. Having grown up in that area, and loving its sort of worn down charm, we decided to create this state that would have everything old fashioned that we loved. It comprises the three western counties of New York (Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Allegany) the western half of Pennsylvania, and the entire state of West Virginia. It would be (we hoped) the poorest state in the Union. But it would have lots of character.
I'm realizing that some people may want our vintage town to be a small village of maybe a couple thousand souls. Others may want a thriving sub metropolis of a couple hundred thousand. Solution? Our own vintage state!
We would have access to the open sea via the port of Erie, Pa. We'd have a huge number of late nineteenth and early 20th century commercial and industrial buildings. We'd have plenty of coal, and good old Pennsylvania grade crude oil.
Is this an idea whose time has come?

Too big. Too many logisitical problems with running a state that large. A town is about all we could afford anyway. :p

The Wingnut

One Too Many
By making a small 'nation-state' out of the ideal town and outlying area, you'd have the basis to set up the sort of environ being discussed. Consider that most Native reservations in the U.S. are considered their own nations and while their infrastructure and governments are run on a smaller model of U.S. government, you effectively pass out of the United States when you enter them.

...this isn't a new concept...I've seen it on anther site, although less based in reality and more of a 'what if you could do anything you wanted' scenario.

Doubtful anything like this would ever happen unless you got a few individuals with almost inexhaustible income to support it...and then you're at their mercy. Running a small nation-state usually falls into the hands of an select elite few and their immediate family.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...you and another guy I know that runs a '37 Buick Special every day on Firestone Gum-Dipped Wide Whites!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The Wingnut said:
...you and another guy I know that runs a '37 Buick Special every day on Firestone Gum-Dipped Wide Whites!

I know that mug... He even took me for a ride... no worries, it was just a joy ride with good friends ;)

In our special town, we must have a "Strip mall" if you will. In Arcadia CA near me there used to be a really swell string of shops that were on a large plot of land on the corner of Huntington Blvd and First Ave. There was a grocer, baker, dry cleaner, tailor and maybe a repair shop... and at the very corner of the property, there was a fillin' station. If I can, I'll try and dig up a photo of this place... it was really neat.... built around the late 1920's I believe... it's long gone now but, I'll try and dig up a photo soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany