Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
spiridon said:
:D :D .....I musta had a "dyslexic" moment.......or more likely a "Senior" moment! Tommy, I can't remember if I've had the Blue labels....I picked up the "JJ" (I believe that's what it was) at a B&M several months ago and REALLY enjoyed it. At any rate, anything I've tried by Pepin has been at the top of my "list"......right up there with La LUNA!!!!:D ;) lol

Taxman?.......Hmmmmmm, that addy DOES look vaguely familiar!

Baxtard!;) Nice to "see" you again, Jon!
Blue Labels, Black Labels, JJ's.......all amongst my favs from Pepin. For you to use the word "Pepin" in the same sentence as "La Luna" , well........

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is such a fine thread...

And so educational too!! It deserves to be re-lit.;)

Cigar003.jpg

brackenberhousedinner07005.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Like the "port and cigars" shot on a warm summer evening.

And there's something oddly Kray-like about the other snap :D

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Show me your ceeegar pics!!

Have any pics of you in ceegar heaven? go on, let's have a look!:eusa_clap

(I know there's one of B-K around somewhere, and the cigar is as BIG as he is!!).

luvthatlulu

Suspended
farnham54 said:
This is a great idea!

One question, and I know it'll probobly be tough to answer: What is the best value of a cigar? Best all round experience for you dollar?

Regards,
Budget-concious Craig

www.cubanlous.com Cubans...guaranteed real Cubans...delivered right to your front door for not that much more than some over-priced Dominicans. Opus...who?;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Cigar heaven? - Must be Cuba!:D

2-1.jpg

I admit - not the sharpest outfit. Not golden age in any way - but what the heck. The cigar was great. +29C in december and the rum was 18 years old. What more can you ask for?:D :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great pic Spitfire, we've been thinking of planning a trip to Cuba. Cigars, good rum, sounds good to me!

panamag8or

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
My most recent cigar was one from Padron's Aniversario series. Very, very fine cigar.

I concur wholeheartedly. I have had both the 1964 and the 1926, and they are probably the best smokes I've ever had, and @ $18 for the 1964 and $25 for the 1926, they had better be.lol

My everyday smoke is a Dannemann Espada Sumatra.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Hope to go to La Habana one day.

Went to Ybor City a couple weeks ago with TaxMan. Stayed at his place, actually, whilst commuting to Disney. Met up with his friends, the "Lazy Smokin' Bastards" in Clearwater Florida.

Gordon_Frank_Stan.sized.jpg

That's TaxMan with Dr. Gordon and Frank (a Gator fan)

Stan_and_Tommy.sized.jpg

TaxMan and I after a fine meal at Grillsmith in Clearwater.

36_Stan_at_the_Columbia.sized.jpg

TaxMan in a side door of the Columbia Restaurant on Avenida Setima in Ybor City. The Columbia, opened in 1905 is one of the oldest if not the oldest restaurant in Ybor City. It's a Spanish restaurant, which is typified by the beautiful azulejo decorations (the ceramic tiles) which cover the exterior of the building. The Columbia was also a favorite of Santo Trafficante, longtime, notorious organized crime boss of Tampa.

Check out THIS Place. Havana Dreams a lovely cigar establishment on Avenida Setima. TaxMan works retail there on Sundays, but what a great place. We visited a couple Fridays ago just to smoke and have cafe Cubano. If you're interested, you can click on the photos to enlarge them. The guy that runs/owns the place came over from Cuba ten years ago, clinging to a door.

He sells national brands, but really wants to specialize in his own cigars, which are rolled in store, and on Calle 22 a few blocks away. They're pretty good smokes, too!!
See?
63_Cafe_Cubano_at_Havana_Dreams.sized.jpg

Had a lovely Cuban sandwich at King Corona Cigar Company just down the street on Avenida Setima.
64_Sandwich_Cubano_at_King_Corona_Cigar_Company.sized.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
Tax Man needs to take the band off his cigar.lol

Looks like fun, though. 40 years in Florida, and I have yet to visit Ybor.:mad:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Great pic Spitfire, we've been thinking of planning a trip to Cuba. Cigars, good rum, sounds good to me!

You should go! Fantastic country and great people. Call me when you gets closer, I might be able to point you in the right directions.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Will do Spitty!

RedPop, that restaurant looks and sounds good, and the cigars don't look half bad either.

RedPop4

One Too Many
James, I'll do some checking on Spirit of Cuba when I get back from lunch.
I'm a band "on" smoker, too. Quite often a bit of the glue seeps through the band and onto the wrapper leaf of the cigar. Early removal, then, damages the wrapper sometimes. I don't want to run that risk. There are many who claim that leaving it on is ostentation, but I normally grasp the cigar with my fingers over the band, in any case.

Sometimes, the band is tight and you can't even move it without tearing until the cigar has heated sufficiently.

RedPop4 said:
James, I'll do some checking on Spirit of Cuba when I get back from lunch.
I'm a band "on" smoker, too. Quite often a bit of the glue seeps through the band and onto the wrapper leaf of the cigar. Early removal, then, damages the wrapper sometimes. I don't want to run that risk. There are many who claim that leaving it on is ostentation, but I normally grasp the cigar with my fingers over the band, in any case.

Sometimes, the band is tight and you can't even move it without tearing until the cigar has heated sufficiently.

Thanks.
I leave the band on as well. It reminds me not to smoke it until it reaches my mouth---in cases of good cigars. ;) I nubbed the VSG anyway though. :D

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot