Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

RedPop4

One Too Many
I haven't had a Hoyo or Excalibur in ages, I see people smoking them all the time around here lately, though.

I haven't had the Casablanca, either. Lately Ive become a fan of smaller vitolas for the most part.

This week, so far, it's been a Los Blancos with the Sumatra wrapper. I first tried their cigars at the RTDA show last August here in New Orleans. The Blanco family has created products with the most innovative packaging I've seen in the cigar business. For the tobacconist, they sell you a beautiful box to put on the shelf, and the cigars are sold in a tray made of Spanish Cedar to go inside the box. When you sell out, you send the tray back and put another tray back in the same box.

Each wrapper variety, line, is color coordinated, they make cutters, lighters, matchbooks shirts and caps all in the same color. It's a really integrated presentation.

On top of all of that, the cigars are quite good, too. I've tried every line of theirs, I think; some at the RTDA show, and some since.

warbird

One Too Many
I love the Excallibur. Mainly I love any real cameroon wrapped cigar, as it is my favorite wrapper, but I find the ex very good.

The rest of the hoyo line is pretty good and usually reasonably priced, but there are cigars to be had just as good for less money.

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
Ahh! pies and cigars what a wonderful thread. I smoke a pipe and have done for about 30 yrs. I also love a good cigar. When I first started smoking a pipe I would get some very strange looks because pipes were seen as the domain of elderly men. My first wife gave me a Dunhill pipe as a wedding present. It was very exensive and it smoked very hot. Over the years I have had many different types of pipes and usually I find one that smokes just right. It is not always the expensive pipes that smoke the best. Currently I smoke a Five Bridges pipe made in London. It is probably one of the best pipes I have ever owned. Problem is over here in Australia is the lack of quality tobbacco. Fortunatly I have a great shop that provides a blend of Dark cavendish and Nougat. He has them in big glass jars no brand labels it's just like in the good old days.
one of the reasons I like to smoke a pipe is that it tends to slow me down the whole preperation, packing and lighting is a kind of ritual. I have a smoking room (where I my allowed by my wife to smoke) and a smoking chair made of leather, It truly can take me into another world, talk about escapism.

Cigars are another matter. They for me are totally different to smoke I get from my pipe. No less enjoyable. Here there is no embargo or political problems to smoking a good Cuban Montecristo or a Romeo y Julietta. Both brands only are imported to Australia from Cuba. Totally different ritual they gives a totally different vibe and mood.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I found a lovely Partagas Lusitania in my humidor. I've had it as a gift for about five years now, it should be a great cigar. I'm heading outside right now to finish off Independence Day.

ortega76

Practically Family
Since my town will start a smoking ban on August 1, I've stepped up my smoking. I don't smoke cigarettes but I love cigars. I've been enjoying the last few times to smoke while listening to live music. Sunday night, the wife and I went to the Atomic Frolic in Champaign. A great night, with some great bands. Outside their were a few very cherry rides.

IMG_9108.jpg

While we were enjoying the show, I had two great smokes that evening. The first was a CAO Flavours Moontrance. I am not a huge fan of flavored cigars but CAO is a top quality outfit and these cigars not only have a great tobacco but the flavors are subtle and not overpowering or candy-like. The bourbon vanilla, white honey and peach flavorings linger on the pallette lightly and complimented my tiki-inspired cocktail.

The second smoke was a bit stronger and complimented my dark beer, a Don Tomas Cameroon. Not a fabulous cigar but a good smoke that I bought as a "sample" pack. My humidor(s) need to be refilled and I think I will pick up a box of these for a regular smoke. The construction was passable, as I hadn't smoked a "perfecto" in a long time but the smoke got a bit "hot" right in the middle. I have another to try, so we'll see if that was a fluke. All in all, the flavor was spicy but not overpowering. I normally prefer smoother smoking cigars like Macanudo or Dunhill but this was a nice change.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
wow, this thread is till running, wonderful. It has been so long since I have posted. Everyone still smoking I see, lol. Well, I still enjoy my cigars, pipes not so much, but Lucky Strikes, yep, gotta love um.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I had a couple really nice cigars Sunday watching our Saints lose to the Bears.

Started with a lovely Partag?°s petit corona, then a Perdomo Lot 23 robusto. The Lot 23 is a new line from Tabacalera Perdomo which debuted at the 2006 RTDA in Las Vegas. It's a middle of the road smoke, not nearly expensive as their La Tradici??n lines. It runs between $4 and $6 per cigar from what I've learned. I've had four or five of them since they came out. They're a little spice/pepper bomb especially when first lit. They then tone down and are a nice medium body smoke. Very nice.

Then a bowl of Rattray's #7 Reserve. A fine, fine non-aromatic blend. But I was trying to keep it lit, and not only did I get horrible tongue bite, but total tongue AND palate bite. But I'll have another bowl of it.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Wonderful to find this cigar thread! I don't smoke as often as I used to - a comfortable smoking room is harder to find these days. Fortunately, after a fair bit of lobbying and considerable fund raising, our club has built a new smoking room with air handling units not unlike those used in a laboratory clean room. I suppose it won't ever have the wonderful smell of old leather and cigar of my father's study. But it will be a comfortable spot for us meet over a drink and a cigar and escape the daily grind.

I am a longtime fan of Aston #20 maduros, and occasionally smoke a bowl of our local tobacconists superb blends.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
It's funny, i started this thread three years ago this September. I am glad to see it still running once again. I hope I can start updating it again more like I used to. Has anyone had the pleasure of sampling some Oliva cigars? Let me tell you they are quite wonderful. The Serie G are very much affordable and have incredible flavor.

TaxMan1

One of the Regulars
Bogie1943 said:
It's funny, i started this thread three years ago this September. I am glad to see it still running once again. I hope I can start updating it again more like I used to. Has anyone had the pleasure of sampling some Oliva cigars? Let me tell you they are quite wonderful. The Serie G are very much affordable and have incredible flavor.

I enjoy the Padilla Habano, which is made by Oliva for Padilla.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Jon, You DO know who "TaxMan" is, right?????;)

Oh, it's Pepin Garcia. ;) I think they're TaxMan's fave, too. I've had a couple of the Blue Labels, and they're tasty, strong enough for you, too.

spiridon

A-List Customer
:D :D .....I musta had a "dyslexic" moment.......or more likely a "Senior" moment! Tommy, I can't remember if I've had the Blue labels....I picked up the "JJ" (I believe that's what it was) at a B&M several months ago and REALLY enjoyed it. At any rate, anything I've tried by Pepin has been at the top of my "list"......right up there with La LUNA!!!!:D ;) lol

Taxman?.......Hmmmmmm, that addy DOES look vaguely familiar!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana