Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

spiridon

A-List Customer
:p
RedPop4 said:
He "tends to like La Luna":) :) :rolleyes: :)
Hee hee hee.

Hey Tommy, I stumbled upon a stash of LLMFs & LLNFs I had stashed away in a cooler this past weekend.....I'll be bringing some to the herf at the end of the month.:p :cool: :cheers1:

Once these are gone, they're gone!:cry:

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Retro

Anyone ever seen or tried the retro tobaccos?

page76.jpg

Bogie1943 said:
Anyone ever seen or tried the retro tobaccos?

page76.jpg

Yep, All nine of the bottom ones. It really just depends on what kind of pipe tobacco blend you like. I love, and you have heard me say this time and again, Argosy Black. It has that special aroma when smoked and has a smooth taste to it with enough body to make it worthwhile.
Filed and Steam is a good one as well without so much of the aroma but just as much taste. I just took a liking to the darker tobacco leaf.
I gave a friend a sampler of those nine and he liked just about all of them as well. Then he came to the Argosy Black and understood my affinity for it.
I can give you reviews of the others as well if you like but it depends on what you want in a pipe tobacco.

Regards,

J

Neps

New in Town
No Cigar is a Bad Cigar

RedPop4 said:
He "tends to like La Luna":) :) :rolleyes: :) :) :)
Hee hee hee.

Many of Jon's favorites are mine as well, we have similar tastes. ALthough I can appreciate some milder cigars than the ones he listed.
I like many cigars, and there are only a few I've found so far that don't do it for me. I have two coolers, two desk-top humidors, one vintage brass/copper cannister humidor as well.

I'm pleased to have found this thread, and will do my best to keep up with it and to add whatever tidbits I can.

I have never found a cigar I truly disliked - depends on where I am. I did get some "counterfeit" Cohibas from Cuba one time that I almost had to run a wire up to smoke - rolled so tight - that is the worst experience I can remember - still had a fine flavour. All time favorite is a Montecristo #9 - save them for special occasions. When fishing - a 99 cent special will keep the flies away and the fish biting

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hello Gents,

I thought I would post a pic of my pipe collection, just a simple photo here of my pipe rack. I have four Savinelli's do date, the others are some mixed Italian pipes. I am fazing out those cheaper pipes, making room for more Savinelli's and some other higher ticket pipes. I have found a new tobacco, Benjamin Hartwell Private Reserve "Evening Stroll". I must say I love this mixture and the story behind it I find so very nostalgic. This mixture was made by Benjamin for his good friend Jim Murdoch, who loved to take long strolls while enjoying his pipe. He wanted a mild smoke with a pleasing sweet hint in taste and aroma, to please the ladies as he passed. Best of all Jim was always dressed in the best of fashion for his day. Try it!

pipes.jpg

RedPop4

One Too Many
I had a couple decent cigars this weekend.
Saturday evening, I had a Graycliff G2, it was a double corona size. It was a nice, somewhat mild cigar, per the Graycliff reputation. It had an interesting flavor, but not one I liked a great deal. I got this cigar from the Graycliff exhibit at the Retail Tobacco Dealers of America trade show in New Orleans last August. I wouldn't go out of my way for this cigar, and it's certainly not worth the price that Graycliff charges for their cigars.

Last night, was a better offering. It was a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992. It was quite tasty, I expected it to be a bit mild since it's made with tobacco from the 1992 crop. It had some oomph and compexity to it, though, which was quite surprising in a pleasant way. It burned as straight as a razor, with a solid almost defiantly large ash. This is a well-made cigar, I'm quite pleased to have a couple more of these.

Bogie1943 said:
Hello Gents,

I thought I would post a pic of my pipe collection, just a simple photo here of my pipe rack. I have four Savinelli's do date, the others are some mixed Italian pipes. I am fazing out those cheaper pipes, making room for more Savinelli's and some other higher ticket pipes. I have found a new tobacco, Benjamin Hartwell Private Reserve "Evening Stroll". I must say I love this mixture and the story behind it I find so very nostalgic. This mixture was made by Benjamin for his good friend Jim Murdoch, who loved to take long strolls while enjoying his pipe. He wanted a mild smoke with a pleasing sweet hint in taste and aroma, to please the ladies as he passed. Best of all Jim was always dressed in the best of fashion for his day. Try it!

pipes.jpg

Very nice. I see a few empty spaces on that pipe rack calling for more pipes. ;)
What kind of tobacco is in Evening Stroll? I am more interested in the dark tobaccos than the lighter stuff myself. :D Just not Perique please. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Sounds like a good blend. I'm smoking Peterson's 2006 Reserve right now, its nice and pleasing. Medium body and no stingy taste.

Benjamin Hartwell Private Reserve
One of the stalwarts of the tobacco trade, Consolidated (which also makes great cigars), is playing traditional themes with their new tinned tobaccos, sold under the Benjamin Hartwell Private Reserve rubric.
Chesdin Mixture is a full-flavored, but very mild, traditional English blend, with a good helping of Latakia, Turkish, Virginia, and black Cavendish. There's a natural sweetness in the Cavendish, but no top dressing to get in the way of the real tobacco taste. Excellent after a meal or with your favorite drink.

Evening Stroll is an aromatic blend of black and brown Cavendish with a sweet nut and fruit flavor. A crowd pleaser, this blend is super as a quiet evening smoke, with its mild yet interesting spice overtones.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
The tobacco seems to be a mix of light and dark cavandish, I will look further into that. Yes indeed, I need more pipes, lol, those spaces will be filled and some of the those pipes will be replaced. I have had Graycliffs, honestly, they were some of the worst cigars I have ever had in my life. I tried several of them, did not like any of them.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Okay I am fired up now, I am going to rag on one cigar brand and praise another. Starting off with the rag, this being the Graycliff. Like I said before some of the worst, maybe the worst cigars I have ever had. One, they are poorly constructed, two they taste like something you find in your yard when your friend next door has an animal that does not like you. My biggest beaf with them, is their prices. They are charging prices that should reflect in their product, but no. I would not pay a single penny for anything they make. I was never so turned off or disgusted by a cigar.

Now for the praise and that goes to the Rocky Patel products. I love them all, each and everything I have tried has been so so pleasing. I even love the JAVA line, infused yes and usually hate anything infused or flavored, but this is wonderful. The vintage lines are outstanding as well as the Edge line. My big fav would have to be the JAVA Toro and either of the Vintage Churchills.

One of my favorite cigars of all time is the Punch Rare Corojo, a masterpiece.

Bogie1943 said:
The tobacco seems to be a mix of light and dark cavendish, I will look further into that. Yes indeed, I need more pipes, lol, those spaces will be filled and some of those pipes will be replaced.

Light and dark Cavendish would not be a bad blend. I am going to have to try it.
You could try to add a Cavendish pipe to your collection for it. ;)

Regards,

J

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Bogie what do you think of the Fuente Hemingways? I have one that I haven't smoked yet, thought I'd give them a try. I've been smoking CAO flavoreds, Eileens Dream and Bella Vanilla, along with the Gurka Expeditions.

But since this is the pipes corner right now, I alternate between 2 Petersons, a Savenelli, 2 Yello-boles, and a small no name churchwarden

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hey Nick, anything goes around here! I have had several of the Hemingway's, the Short Story is fun, I like a medium size, but I have had the largest size they make in that line. What I huge cigar, must have been a foot long it seems. I will post a photo of it later.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Mr. Misanthropy was kind enough to redirect me to try a new thread for my question (I'm pretty new here), but when I hit "search" it showed that there is already some discussion of pipes going on here. So here is my question: Does anyone know why you don't see pipe smokers anymore? Cigars, yes..but I NEVER see pipe smokers. (Fedoras and pipes make such handsome companions!) Thanks, Gentlemen!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
TIME TIME

Smoking both I'll say the reson you don't see any is that most people have no patience. Cigs give you a quick fix, cigars are more time consuming but not that long. Pipes on the other hand have to be lit and relit, tamped, packed, smoked, cleaned and conditioned. There is also the storage and transport of the tobacco. Most people just won't take the time.lol

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

Pipes

And pipes, as hats, were wrongly associated with strange elderly men. This was true for cigars as well for a certain time, but never that strongly.

And on top of it all some people associate it with drug paraphenalia! :rolleyes: :rage: "You smoke pipe?" They think you mean a crack pipe. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
In good weather I will stand out in front of the house and enjoy my pipe. I bet the neighbors think I am eccentric, crazy or both. :p Good! Nothing like a little fear to keep them from letting their vegetation grow onto my side or their kids for that matter. lol :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21