Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

Bayern

New in Town
Cuban Cigar Brands

zeus36 said:
Gleaned from the WEB:

Cuban cigars like Cohiba, Montecristo, and Romeo y Julieta are not the same cigars as their Dominican and Nicaraguan cousins. When Fidel Castro took over Cuba in 1959, one of the first things he did was seize the local tobacco factories for the government. Owners of the factories fled Cuba and took with them, the knowledge, the processes, and sometimes even the seed used to grow their world famous tobacco.

Interesting to note that the afformentioned brands (Cohiba, Montecristo, and Romeo y Julieta, ect.) which are not manufactured in Cuba cannot be sold in Europe as these are trademarked Cuban brands. So here in Europe it is not posible to by a Dominican Montecristo.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
CAO has just released the CX2, brother of the MX2, but a very different cigar all around. The cigar sports a nice cam. shade wrapper with a unique band design. I have only had one but I did enjoy it, I hope to try more very soon. CAO keeps growing and growing with more great products. Oh and for an inexpensive smoke try a La Finca, they are only about $1.50 a stick, wow, yes, wow. Don't be skeptical of it though, for that price it is a darn good smoke. It makes a good golf cigar, or everyday. Give them a try all.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
hey folks,

CAO has a new cigar out on the market, The Saprano's Edition. I have yet to try these cigars, as the price here is a bit much. The line starts with a robusto size at $10.00 a stick here, all the way up to $14.00 for the large torpedo. The cigars looks very tasty and the packaging is by far the best I have ever seen, check them out. Also Rocky Patel has an interesting infused cigar out I just sampled today. It's called Java, the wrapper is sweet to the taste which goes way as you smoke it. More and more of the cigars chacolate tones come through as the sweetness goes away. It's a nice box pressed smoke!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Indeed, I really have enjoyed Patel's vintages, great cigars. A cigar I have been enjoying lately is the Aroma De Cuba Immensa. A big cigar by name with a 60 ring gauge, but a nice 5 or so inch length. It's such a nice smoke!

Bogie1943 said:
Indeed, I really have enjoyed Patel's vintages, great cigars. A cigar I have been enjoying lately is the Aroma De Cuba Immensa. A big cigar by name with a 60 ring gauge, but a nice 5 or so inch length. It's such a nice smoke!

60 ring gauge? Sounds like something I could get enjoy as well. You would never see me with a robusto size cigar. I like the larger sizes. They tend to be more flavorful as well. Makes sense because they have to keep your interest a lot longer. ;)
The 5 inch size is kind of short for me. I usually like the 7 inch size. The ring gauge makes up for it in this case. Don't get me wrong. If I can't find time for a Churchill size cigar I can sneak in a Short Story but I prefer to make time. :p :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

jamespowers said:
I doubt you would choke if you lit up a pipe. Just remember you are not smoking cigarettes here. You do not have to inhale if you do not want to and the effect is just the same. ;) My problem is that my "vintage" stash of tabacco is running out and I need to find something today that is compatible or equivalent. Perhaps someone out there knows what became of a few of them. There is Edward G. Robbinson pipe tabacco and then there is Dream Castle. Dream Castle is great because it fills the room with a pleasant aroma and is a fine experience all around.

James, there are several pipe tobaccos available that are similar to the old vintage blends. As I type this, I am smoking on House Of Windsor's Barking Dog. HoW has come out with the old Philip Morris blends in retro packaging within the last two years. Highly popular and very good too. Check out http://www.smokersforums.org I am one of the moderators over there (going by the name Wartooth). The place is dedicated to pipes, tobacco, etc. Some cigar info, but not much.

Richard

WetDog said:
James, there are several pipe tobaccos available that are similar to the old vintage blends. As I type this, I am smoking on House Of Windsor's Barking Dog. HoW has come out with the old Philip Morris blends in retro packaging within the last two years. Highly popular and very good too. Check out Got to page 56.http://www.smokersforums.org I am one of the moderators over there (going by the name Wartooth). The place is dedicated to pipes, tobacco, etc. Some cigar info, but not much.

House of Windsor is a great source of good pipe tobacco. I particularly like their Argosy Black but it appears as I am not the only one. They are having a hard time meeting demand for it.
Barking Dog is also one I have tried along with Revelation, Field and Stream, Bourbon Street and Country Doctor. You can get a sampler of all of these through Thompson Cigar at: http://thompsoncigar.richfx.com/catalog_thompsoncigar/December_2005/index.asp?firstpage=1
It seems Bourbon Street and Revelation seem to be in high demand as well though. They are not available until the 21st. The sampler is a good chance to check those all out and decide which you like the best.
I will have to check out your pipe site. Sounds interesting.

Regards to all,

J

Barry

Practically Family
Another occasional pipe smoke here.

The two favorites of my collection are a Becker (which I managed to mess up recently) :cry: and a Colm Magner. I might add a Dunhill this weekend.

I'm usually partial to non-aromatics. I do like a blend that my local tobacconist has, it's a mix of burley, cavendish, (something else) along with a healthy dose of latakia.

Barry

Bogie1943 said:
So, who out there is a brother of the briar?

Ok, you caught me. ;) Yes, I am. My favorite pipe is a Savinelli Tobacco leaf pattern. Favorite tobacco is Argosy Black but there are several from House of Windsor that are good as well. Off the top of my head they are Field and Stream, Mapleton and Revelation.
I'll get some pictures when the camera batteries recharge. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Bogie1943 said:
So, who out there is a brother of the briar?

Yep. As said above, I am a moderator over at a pipe forum and have been lighting up the briar for many years. I have a couple dozen decent quality pipes (as well as many many cobs). My favorite is probably a Comoy canadian. As for the tobacco ... right now it's Gawith Kendal Plug. But I have about 10 years worth of various blends stored away in aging jars.

Richard

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Good to hear, I am big Savinelli fan myself, but there are just so many pipes, so little time. A good pipe is such a good investment. I buy a lot of my tobaccos from the bulk section, Lane, Peterson, and so on. I do smoke tin tobaccos from Dunhill and so on, but I tend to like fine aromatics more. At my shop we get our bulks from Altadis, Peterson, and Lane. I own two humidors that I used to stock both with cigars but now one has been taken over by pipe tobac. There is just something so wonderful and meaningful to pipe smoking. I feel such a connection to my forefathers and even back to the great birth of the tradition of smoking the great tobacum. It's marvelous!

TheRetropolitan

New in Town
I'm a pipe smoker as well -- it helped ween me off of the cigarettes. My roommate gave me a cheapish red, curved-neck pipe for my birthday a few years back (forgive my ignorance of the proper pipe lingo), and I pull it out every week or so. (More often now that I live alone.)

I make monthly runs to Nat Sherman's in midtown for a new take of tobacco, lately being Manhattan Twilight blend -- I'm a sucker for that subtle vanilla scent. Like many people, I'm sure, it brings back pleasant memories of my grandfather...

...and it makes my apartment smell really nice.

geo

I like cigars and pipe too. After trying them all, I settled on Nat Sherman for pipe tabacco. I also like small machine-made cigars for everyday smoke, they don't take too long to smoke. Romeo and Julieta pack of 5, wrapped in plastic. Once in a while I also like a real Cuban cigar. I have no preference, as they're all very good. The only criterion is the price, not the flavour; I wish I could have an endless supply of pipe tabacco and cigars.

Bogie1943 said:
If you have pics of your pipe collections fellas, post um!

Here you go:
Picture039.jpg

This is two of about two dozen that I have. I think I posted them before. The small one is a Lark and the other is from my father. I use a few other pipes more than these but they are old standbys.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ