Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Issue #3 Highlights

Hello gents, Issue # 3 will be on the stands (lol) this coming Sunday and here are some of the highlights. I will be featuring some of my favorite smokes from Romeo Y Julieta, new hardware from Calibre, Cigar of the Month, ratings on JR Cigars big Cigars by the Gallon from General Cigar Co. A special look at Honduran cigars and much much more. So keep those stogies burning and the jazz playing, until Sunday, good fortune, happy life, and good smokin to ya.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Thanks a ton Bogie! Sorry it took so long to reply, i've been short on time latley.

That's some great advice. I'll be heading out to my tobbaconist today to see what I can come up with.

Another question to you: Is there any online cigar shops that you would reccomend/haev tried? Or does the environmentally sensitive nature of cigars rule out mail order?

Regards and thanks.

Craig

Bogie1943

Practically Family
JR CIGARS, is the best in my opinion as far as deals, service, and quality. I have places many orders from them and they really take care of you. They give you plenty of shipping options, order tracking through your online account. I would highly recommend JR CIGARS over anyone else.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
ISSUE # 3 IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good evening gentlemen and here is what I hope you have been waiting for, lol, issue #3 of Out of the Humidor. We have a ton of material, that I have to catch up on in this issue. So settle in for a good long, relaxing smoke and keep on reading. Topping this issue is a cigar that I have personally had my eye on for a long time but have never smoked until tonight. It is called "The Egg" from Drew Estate and I will be giving you my personal rating on this cigar throughout the issue, as I smoke it.

(Lights "The Egg"). The initial draw is perfect with a vert mild first few puffs, the starting burn is very even and looks very promising. The aroma is very pleasing and compliments the cigar well. It's odd shape can be a bit comical when I look at myself in the mirror, lol.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
"The Egg" is well constructed and it's odd shape is the work of a master roller, only a master roller could craft a cigar such as this. "The Egg" is, in my thinking, an over exaggeration of the perfecto shape, which makes it really fun.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Gear

I was at my local tobacconists about a week or so ago, and knowing me, I am always on the look out for new cigar gear. I went a made a big splurge on a new lighter from Colibri. I have to say this lighter is really elegant and to me screams Art Deco. It features a good, strong flame and dual cigar punches. I am not a big fan of the cigar punch, but I love this lighter despite. It's gold and silver combo just makes the design even more elegant. It is called the "Quantum Oscar" torch lighter and retails for $79.95, but my local tobacconist gave me ten bucks off, it's good being a VIP customer, lol.

Click the link below to visit this lighter on the Colibri website:

http://www.colibri.com/catalogs/CCatalog3.cfm?StylePrefix=QTR95100

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Featured Cigar

Well, this issues featured cigar is a good one, especially for those maduro lovers. Now, for starters I have never been what you would call a Macanudo fan, but this one has shown me the light. I have smoked two different sizes of the Macanudo Maduro, the Lonsdale and the Diplomat. The lonsdale was wonderful and had a flawless burn, whereas the Diplomat was equally tasty but the burn was a little uneven. The MM has a rich flavor and wonderful aroma that was overall very pleasing. The price on these bad boys will run you about $6, which is not bad and they are well worth it. I love this cigar, it is wonderful, and was really there for me, lol, making movies is a tough business friends.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Romeo, where for art thou Romeo

Well, per request I am going to dicuss the great smokes of Romeo Y Julieta, pronounced hooo-ly-etta!!!!!!!!! I love just about all of their smokes, they are great. I love the En Tubo lines they offer, very nice line indeed. The Vintage and Reserve are just wonderful, and hey that have that sorta of romantic flavor, lol. I love Romeo, but I have to say I am bigger fan of CAO cigar brand than Romeo. I find that their smokes are all well balanced and well constructed, some better than other as in all brands. The Reserve has to be my biggest favorite overall, hey I am maduro freak, what can I say, lol.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Cigars by the Gallon from JR CIGARS

Well, you have heard me talking about these and here they are in Connecticut and Madruo. I have to say these are great, the first batch that JR had were terrible and they totally admited that. These however are a different story, this batch is from General Cigar Co., which is one of the largest cigar companies running. Yes, true they are "seconds" but who cares, there is nothing wrong with these cigars, they are wonderful. The are indeed sceonds of big brands, that can't be named, and you can tell. They burn and draw very well and have great flavor, from smooth, to robust. A gallon of these will run you about $60, but let me tell you that is a deal and a half, for 50 cigars, hoe can one go wrong. They are well constructed, a little uneven, but that's what got them here and has nothing to do with the taste. These are one of the best deals I have ever taken part in and would recommend them to anyone as an everyday smoke.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Did someone say Honduran???

Well, this was another recent buy from JRCIGARS, Honduran bundles of 50. They may look rough but oh please don't judge a book by it's cover my friends. They are great smokes for the everyday, burn and draw well and have a very interesting flavor that is uniquely Honduran. They will run about $45 a bundle from JR's and they are well worth it in my opinion. Especially, for those on a budget, and what the heck, they are great for those not on a budget, lol. Dan Riser, needs to post a reply on these, he has discovered these as well. They come pachaged in brown paper marked with the size and wrapper shade. Underneath that the bundle is wrapped in Honduran newspaper, nice added touch.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I had some of the Romeo & Julietta Vintages about five years ago and they were very fine cigars. I think they were around 10 bucks each at that time.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
My Cigar Corner

I thought showing the very spot where each weeks issue is concieved might be interesting for you fellas. Here are some pics of where I usually enjoy a cigar during the winter time and cold nights.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
And in the end...

Well, that's about it for this issue, more to come, keep posting those questions and comments and as always, keep puffing. OH!!! FINAL REPORT ON THE EGG, well I got about half way done and it just started tasting bad so I was inclined to stop at that point. It's way too mild for me and just looses appeal at the mid point, I am not that impressed. Well, until next time, keep those stogies burning. God Bless.

Thanks for reviewing the Romeo y Juliettas. I think you have made up my mind for me. I am going for a sampling of the Vintage. They sound like what I am after. I also have to actually get a chance to smoke my CAO that I have in the humidor. ;)
Maybe I will wait and compare them against each other too. :D
I need a smoking room like that. My current "room" is outside in the backyard. :eek:
Is that a smokeless ashtray that I see on the table there? How well does it work? It might be an accessory that I could use as well. That and it would make it easier for the wife to stand my cigars. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner