Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: My Cigar Corner

Originally posted by Bogie1943
I thought showing the very spot where each weeks issue is concieved might be interesting for you fellas. Here are some pics of where I usually enjoy a cigar during the winter time and cold nights.

Hey Bogie,

In the post above, I can see a hat rack on the wall with a couple of your lids on it. I think they look good displayed like that.

a) Can you show a better pic of the racks with hats on it?
b) Are you happy with the rack, and how many hats will it hold?
c) Where'd you get it? Although it seems like a common item that I've seen before, I'm having a bit of trouble finding one.

Thanks. Oh yeah...I do enjoy your stogie-posts!

David

Canadave

One Too Many
Paint them? What's wrong with those colours? ;-)

Anyway, upon thinking more about it, I guess I could just get a straight hatrack with those types of pegs. Does anyone have any feedback about hanging hats on those pegs? I assume they would only extend out to the sweat, so wouldn't "dimple" the felt with extended "hangings".

What say y'all?

David

Gershomite

New in Town
Great thread; you are performing a true service to the reader.

With the steadily increasing quality of the Dominican tobaccos, I find myself wishing for a true Cubana less and less; A Dominican Cohiba is my preferred smoke bar none.

Interesting review of the Macanudo Maduro. Macs, Maduro or Conneticut wrapper, have a great flavour; however there is a "Jekyll and Hyde" quality about them when it comes to the tightness of the roll. Sometimes Macanudo's are very hard to draw, making an otherwise pleasant smoke into a chore.

As any brand may have an occasional tight roll, a quality draw poker should be included in every gentlemen's cigar kit. It can return the enjoyment to the smoking of a tightly rolled cigar quickly and easily.

The retro-looking Colibri lighter reviewed looks fantastic, I shall have to see one of the 'Quantum-Oscar' series in person. First rate.

Gersh

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Soon...

Well, fellas, it has been a while since I have been able to update the old cigar smoke filled post we have going here. I will soon be giving you all the next opus once I get a new online photo storage joint underway. If any of ya can recommend a good one that would help. Also I will be cutting back on the amount of pictures from last time as it boggs down the lounge systems. However, I digress, I shall be back soon here with a new issue, so keep ya hats on fellas.

Heirphoto

New in Town
Bogie,
Looking forward to yuor nest "issue" even though I don't smoke! I enjoy the reviews of anything that deals with "men's finery", cigars, pipes, clothing, grooming, etc...... It's fun adding things to my collection dealing with these Golden Age habits, whether newly rediscovered or vintage. Just started searching for interesting pipes although I would likely choke to death if I actually fired one up.
I admire your craving for more serious endevours than what interests most fellows your age.
Best,
Tony Miller

Heirphoto said:
Bogie,
Looking forward to yuor nest "issue" even though I don't smoke! I enjoy the reviews of anything that deals with "men's finery", cigars, pipes, clothing, grooming, etc...... It's fun adding things to my collection dealing with these Golden Age habits, whether newly rediscovered or vintage. Just started searching for interesting pipes although I would likely choke to death if I actually fired one up.
I admire your craving for more serious endevours than what interests most fellows your age.

I doubt you would choke if you lit up a pipe. Just remember you are not smoking cigarettes here. You do not have to inhale if you do not want to and the effect is just the same. ;) My problem is that my "vintage" stash of tabacco is running out and I need to find something today that is compatible or equivalent. Perhaps someone out there knows what became of a few of them. There is Edward G. Robbinson pipe tabacco and then there is Dream Castle. Dream Castle is great because it fills the room with a pleasant aroma and is a fine experience all around.
I agree with you about the service Bogie is providing. "The Good Life" and all the things from the past that really shaped our world today should not be overlooked. We can still learn quite a few things. I am always learning. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Good Company...

Ladies and Gents,

I really appreciate all of the praise you have given me about this little endeavor of mine, even though I am seriously behind on my work. I hope to keep things going over the next few months and years to come. As long as the Lounge is around I will be here, and so will this thread. The good life and the art of celebrating life is become an important part of my life. It's the simple things in life that count, the simple pleasures can be the best. A cigar is a devoted friend in both your tragedies and you triumphs.

Highest Regards,
Josh

SHARPETOYS said:

Geez, I can't believe you found Edward G Robinson! :cheers1: I guess I have been looking int he wrong places. I hope it is the same as the old one. I don't think the Dream Castle is the same though because I think mine said Dream Castle #9 mixture. I might try the Burley Black Cavendish just to check it out though. The original box mine came in is long gone so I cannot be sure until I try it. Very good. I am looking forward to my refill of EG.

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I need to get

I need to get my Lars Ivarsson out i haven't smoked it in a couple years. My dad gave it to me in 1966. I love this pipe.

Glad i could help i had it in my favorites. :cool2:

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Issue # 4 - First Things First....

Well, the fourth issue of this little opus of mine is finally making it's way on to the forum after a rather extended absence. I'm really going to change gears for a while in this issue and focus on pipes with some cigar info mixed in as well. So here we go, hold on to your hats fellas!

Pipes and cigars go together like fedoras and vintage suits, there's nothing better. Cigars as well as pipes have been a long standing tradition in our great country and around the globe. There is an image that comes to mind, taking place around the turn of the 19th century. Where men would retire to the study after having consumed a hearty dinner. There they would begin what was probably the most important part of the evening. They would commence in the bonding of men with cigars, pipes, fine liqueurs, and conversation. What an image, a fire roaring, surrounded by gargantuan wing back leather chairs, and men with their favorite vices. Those were indeed amazing times, the Golden Era as it was, a time when men were men and ladies were ladies.

Over time, it seems America as well as the world has lost it's luster when it comes to such things. We of all people see that as we are lovers of the Golden Era. I remember having a discussion with a local friend about how the art of fine tobacco enjoyment has all but disappeared. I was in part inclined to agree with him, however I felt pulled the other direction. I knew that there are still fine gentleman, as well as fine ladies still left on this rock, and that no matter how far we get away from it, we will always be nostalgic. Nostalgia is part of human nature, and being drawn to the Golden Era and smoking are connected. One big reason I have found that a gent smokes a pipe is because his father or grandfather did, and it is looked at as comforting. Pipes overall have such nostalgic draw to them, they hearken back to the days of refinement and gentlemanly ways.

It's interesting for me as young man to explore this world in these times we live in with such a nostalgic view. As I study the IN's and OUT'S of humanity I find more and more interesting reasons why people do what they do. I am the kind of person who enjoys the study of people and human traits. Smoking went from being a disgusting habit in the early days when we first came to this continent. From that it became the pleasure of fine gentleman, then made another sharp turn back to being disgusting in these modern times. I can relate smoking to the end of days, for centuries people have believed that the ends times were near and have been wrong in most cases. The same with smoking, as long as tobacco has been known by the European man it has flipped flopped. It's good, it's bad, it's good again, IT'S REALLY BAD! (Political readers: waffles!) The same again with prohibition, it did not work and I do not feel that this prohibition of tobacco will work either.

In conclusion of this wonderful, spastic opening rant I just want to say that doing this online magazine as it were, is a great joy. I am glad to impasse my knowledge and opinions to you all in efforts to aid in your own smoking adventures. I enjoy a good cigar, I enjoy a good pipe, what I would enjoy more, is a cigar with all of you. Someday, hopefully during the next Queen Mary Summit, a group of us can sit down together and enjoy an evening of such.

END OF RANT

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Issue # 4 - Pipes, Pipe Collectors, and all that jazz...

Now, there are those who just simply enjoy an occasional pipe. There are those who smoke a pipe just to try to impress. However, out there in the jungle of modern like there are those who not only smoke a pipe every day, but have a pipe for everyday of the year. Pipe Collectors are some of the most interesting people you can ever run into. They may not know much about anything else, but they know their pipes and it shows.

As it is known and should be known, it is not best to smoke the same pipe day after day. The rule, or guideline as it were is to have several pipes and rotate them in use. In doing so you are lengthening the life span of each pipe. Proper cleaning and other maintenance is very important when it comes to pipes, a dirty pipe is not a happy pipe. Be thankful that pipe cleaners are cheap, because one needs to them use not only after smoking but during smoking. This coupled with not allowing the pipe to get too hot, to the point where you can't hold it, is part of keeping a pipe going to many years to come.

For serious pipe collectors, pipes are more than a pleasure, more than hobby, they are big part of their lives. I know a fella from my home town who has over 200 pipes in his collection and a name for every damn one of them, lol. A confirmed Savinelli man, he loves a good pipe filled with a good tobacco. He has taught me a lot I can tell you and learning to smoke a pipe properly is no easy task. Anyone can light up a cigar and smoke the dickens out of it. Pipes on the other hand take time and most of all patience to smoke properly. Pipes honestly demand that you slow down the entire process.

First comes the packing of a pipe. Like a cigar, a pipe must be packed properly for it to burn right. There are several different methods and different people have their own styles. However, it really comes to down to trial and error. My method goes like this: First I start off by filling the bowl of the pipe all the way, just sprinkling in the tobacco. Next I pack that down and repeat till the bowl is about full. Lastly I lightly pack, lightly now, pack a lose amount of tobacco on the top. Once this is done you are ready to light.

Lighting a pipe is also a slow and important process. Starting with your flame, some use matches, others use zippo's or specialty pipe lighters. Whatever makes you happy is the way to go. However, torch lighters can be a no no because they are too powerful. You can also easily burn the top of the bowl with a torch lighter. You like the tobacco much as you would a cigar, you want it burning evenly. Take deep slow puffs on your pipe and bring the flame down into the tobacco until it is glowing evenly.

Now that you are lit, it is time to settle into a slow, relaxing smoke. You are going to need another tool outside of your pipe cleaners. It called a tamper and does just that.

Picture115.jpg

You can find them in any place that sells fine pipes. While you are smoking you will have to tamper down the tobacco you have already smoked and dump the ash out into an ash tray. This may indeed put your pipe out, however re-lighting is an ok and it really part of pipe smoking. You want to smoke the tobacco down as far as you possibly can to the bottom.

After smoking, let your pipe rest and cool a while before you clean it. Make sure you use your pipe cleaners to clean out the air holes of both the pipe body itself and as well as the mouth piece. Cleaning out the bowl can be important as well. Yes, indeed you do want some of the char to build up over time. However wiping out the bowl of your pipe after a smoke is a good way to go. Helps get rid of the surface residue and any moisture.

So there we go, some tips of the in's and out's of pipe smoking. There will be more to come in every issue so keep on reading.

P.S. I will be posting a pic of a diagram that shows all of the proper names for each part of a pipe. As soon as I get my online picture storage up and running.

As Promised:

Picture117.jpg

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Issue #4 - Featured Links

Here is a sweet barbershop that was featured over at COW recently and I just had to share this here. It is a shop in Denmark that not only will give you a cut, a REAL shave, but you can also enjoy a fine cigar and fine spirits all during your visit. Check um out, I know where I am headed when I am in Denmark.

image.asp

http://www.barberen.com/

Also check out CIGAR MAGAZINE who is new on the cigar/pipe scene. But a two year subscription now and get an eight count cigar sampler of fine premiums of your choice. I did and it was well worth it so far, good stuff.

Picture113.jpg

http://www.cigar-magazine.com

Fuente

Familiar Face
Yo Bogie!!

Several good points made in your posts.

You might like to forward your praise of CAO to John Huber he is their PR guy and involved in the design of their packaging which is usually excellent.

You did not mention that the folks at Xikar will repair replace or sharpen any product under their no questions asked warranty. Kurt Van Kepple is a terrific guy and delivers well made products. Their pocket knives are as functional as they are good looking.

Besides reading cA and Smoke you might point folks to the CigarFamily.com web site. The fine cigar room and accessory rooms are great sources of knowledge. The clubhouse room takes a few weeks of reading to determine the players and parameters of posting, flaming and sometimes juvenile patter.

Besides JR's - Holts in Philadelphia PA owned by Robbie Levin and partly by the Fuente Cigar Family has a great online selection of cigars etc.

The Lovely Mrs Fuente (also a cigar smoker) and I have converted an english armoir (1940's vintage) into our humidor. It holds about 60+ boxes of cigars.

Rich

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Guess what Bogie???

The barber shop "Barbaren" is about 1 minute walk from my digs- if I walk real slow. That's the town I live in... in the country that I live in...
Barbaren hasn't been there so long but it's kool. I'll give you a personal run-down some time soon.
-BellyTank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points