Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: Weekly Cigar Corner: Current Discussion: General Smoking 01/26/07

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I have been a pipe smoker for about 25 years.
I started when I got married and my wife could not stand the smell of cigar smoke.

I have about 50 pipes, mostly bents.

I too am a member of somkersfourms.org., where my forum name is
SL Clemens.
Regards,
Forrestal

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Count me in!

I smoked a pipe for 10 years - mainly meerschaum and meerschaum lined. The meerschaum lined pipe was the sweetest smoke I had. Unfortunately, my ex-wife broke it in a fit of rage (hence the 'ex'). I still have my pipes - one is huge full bent meerschaum that looks like a calabash. Many years ago, I also scored a Nording freehand - it indeed takes a free hand to smoke that baby. It is a sweet smoke too. Since I started pipe smoking at 17 or 18, it didn't take me long to do smoke rings and 'the bull' as my daughters call it. 'The bull' is when you inhale, but roll the smoke through your throat and out your nose. Since I changed to cigars some 10 years ago, I still get requests from the girls to 'do the bull' and if the cigar is well balanced, it is my preferred method of smoking.

My current cigar favorites are primarily 5 Vegas, Romeo y Julietta, Macanudo, and Helix to name a few.

Thanks for all the work on the thread, Bogie. It is great to know I am not alone in the world of cigar and pipe smoking - especially since Washington recently went completely smoke free indoors. No more cigar bars... :cry:

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Thank you for the kind words sir, glad you are a member of the forum. I would like to thank all of the readers again for your contributions to the thread, let's keep it smoking! I promise I will post pics of my pipes soon!!!:cheers1:

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Back to the pipe for me.

I actually started smoking with a pipe, when I was 21. Then got corrupted and started cigarettes.
Several years ago I was a deckhand (then call-watch) on a tow boat on the Tennessee River, and got back into the pipe thing. On the boat I smoked a short straight pipe, don't remember what brand. On land I stuck with a small collection of Petersons.
Built up the collection over time, but recently decided to finance a new camera by cutting back. Now I've only three: A Peterson a friend picked up for me in Ireland, a Stanwell with a sweet polished agate ring below the mouthpiece, and a freehand Nording I've had for 12 years. It was my first pipe, and remains my favorite to smoke, when I have time for it. It's a BIG bowl -- two-thirds of my thumb will fit into it, and I don't have small hands!
Right now, smoking a bowl of Peterson's Irish Oak. Good, good stuff.
Occasionally do a cigar as well, but my lady friend doesn't like the smell. I keep the cigars to once a month or so, and carry cigarettes for simplicity's sake on a daily basis -- though I'm down to about three cigarettes a day.

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Oh, and I inhale

Just re-read parts of this thread and I guess it bears mentioning that I inhale, whatever I'm smoking. Cigars, pipe or cigarettes. I'm trying not to, but it just seems to work for me. The issue, of course, is that it likely doesn't work for my lungs.

On the plus side, I did recently start using a cigarette filter/holder. It's astounding how much crud that thing picks up out of one cigarette! That's actually why I'm trying to quit the coffin nails. When I didn't know exactly how much junk I was inhaling, it didn't bother me. Now, I just picture all that stuff in the filter being lodged in my lungs instead, and I'm simply not interested.

and now back to Pipes:
ShoquinCobra.jpg

Butz Choquin Cobra

SavinelliAligator.jpg

Savinelli Alligator

AligatorandCobra.jpg

Both together on my new $2 pipe stand.

I love antique stores. They have no idea what pipes are worth or anything else about the dreaded tobacco paraphernalia. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Oh, I see, hmm. Anyway, what I had posted was that I found out something very interesting in the pipe worls. There was a time long ago when, yes, you could smoke at the Disney Parks! Yes indeed, they had their tobacconist shops, Disney pipes, Disney Cigars, all kinds of stuff. This fellow, who used to work at Disney, now he works for Altadis, started collecting Disney Pipes and some 45 pipes in his collection now. I find this one so cool, I wish I could still smoke a pipe at the park. I am on the look out for Disney pipes now myself. They are nice pipes from what I gathered from the article. Keep your eyes open lads!

PS: Mr Power's, I have that exact same table lighter!

Bogie1943 said:
PS: Mr Power's, I have that exact same table lighter!

I think everyone has at least one of those table lighters. The Ronson Crown has to have been the most popular lighter of its time. A friend of mine picked up one at an antique shop a few weeks ago for $5.
For those who want one of these, please be aware that over time the old flints can become lodged very tightly in the feed tube. I had to take the sparking device off of the top and drive a sturdy metal needle down the feed tube to clear the way for a new flint. So check to see that the lighter sparks before buying it if you would have a hard time fixing this problem. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Neps

New in Town
Glad To Hear

I was surprised to find this topic on my first official visit to the lounge ( new member ) I keep a humidor stocked with a few hundred cubans all the time - Montecristo's, Cohiba's, etc. Great for fishing and other outdoor activities. Now if it was as easy to get a few Stetson Indiana Jones hats - mine are about 25 years old and worn on a regular basis.

Marc Chevalier said:
My kingdom for a sealed tin of "Balkan Sobranie" pipe tobacco. (No longer made, alas.)

Gallaher Limited discontinued that mixture but I guess you know that by your plea. Try the Balkan mixture by Gawith and Hoggarth. It has a mix that is similar: Virginia, Latakia and Yenidje tobaccos.
I just checked again and it seems the Original family who first produced this mixture has a descendant who has partnered with Dan Blumenthal, of James B. Russell, Inc. They own the Sasieni trademark. Thus it is now called "Balkan Sasieni," in a package suggestive of the earlier iterations. Try that out.
maven1.jpg

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=F&srch=DF&tier2=143
Of course you can go the European route if you are desperate enough for the exact same thing:
http://www.cigarworld.de/shop/suche.php4
If they still have it then what part of the kingdom do I get? :p

Regards,

J

spiridon

A-List Customer
Neps said:
I was surprised to find this topic on my first official visit to the lounge ( new member ) I keep a humidor stocked with a few hundred cubans all the time - Montecristo's, Cohiba's, etc. Great for fishing and other outdoor activities. Now if it was as easy to get a few Stetson Indiana Jones hats - mine are about 25 years old and worn on a regular basis.

Neps, I'm glad you found this thread or it may have been a while before I saw it. I haven't had a chance as of yet to go thru and read previous posts, but will do so. I'm not really sure how many cigars I have accumulated.....I used to be a lot more compulsive about keeping track of my inventory. I have 4 desk top humidors, and an old Westinghouse fridge which I converted into a "fridgadore". My favorites are (hard to narrow down...) RyJ TPCs (I was sorry to see them phased out!)....RASS, Bolivar BBF, PSD #4. Among "domestics"....I tend to like La Luna, VSG, Padron (PAM), and Torano. Looking forward to keeping up with this thread!:cool:

RedPop4

One Too Many
spiridon said:
Neps, I'm glad you found this thread or it may have been a while before I saw it. I haven't had a chance as of yet to go thru and read previous posts, but will do so. I'm not really sure how many cigars I have accumulated.....I used to be a lot more compulsive about keeping track of my inventory. I have 4 desk top humidors, and an old Westinghouse fridge which I converted into a "fridgadore". My favorites are (hard to narrow down...) RyJ TPCs (I was sorry to see them phased out!)....RASS, Bolivar BBF, PSD #4. Among "domestics"....I tend to like La Luna, VSG, Padron (PAM), and Torano. Looking forward to keeping up with this thread!:cool:

He "tends to like La Luna":) :) :rolleyes: :) :) :)
Hee hee hee.

Many of Jon's favorites are mine as well, we have similar tastes. ALthough I can appreciate some milder cigars than the ones he listed.
I like many cigars, and there are only a few I've found so far that don't do it for me. I have two coolers, two desk-top humidors, one vintage brass/copper cannister humidor as well.

I'm pleased to have found this thread, and will do my best to keep up with it and to add whatever tidbits I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW