Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama grade after stretching ??

punkinhed

New in Town
From posts here, it sounds like it's pretty easy to substantially stretch Panamas.
My question is this: Won't the "quality" of the hat (at least the parts related to the tightness of the weave) be diminished by "loosening" its weave?

Kevin

Fedora

Vendor
From posts here, it sounds like it's pretty easy to substantially stretch Panamas.
My question is this: Won't the "quality" of the hat (at least the parts related to the tightness of the weave) be diminished by "loosening" its weave?

First, I am not very knowledable in regards to these hats. But, I bought one from a guy named Casey, and while I had told him I was looking after a taller crowned variety, (5 inches once creased) I got the regular short crowned version. Who said it was easy to stretch these hats? Mine will not stretch, as I tried it a couple of years ago. I applied the same pressure and steam that I would use on a felt hat. The only way I could get a taller crown was to lose brim width, and I could not afford to lose any brim width. I had someone else tell me they would stretch, but not in my hat shop. I was so disgusted with the chore that I vowed to never ever tinker with straw hats again. To the guys that work with these hats, I tip my hat to you. Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot