Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pigskin

pak

One of the Regulars
Why is pigskin not offered as a garment leather. I have a few leather items in pigskin and I like the bristle pattern. Welders I work with have jackets in pigskin. Am I missing something?

I have a number of pigskin boots from the WWII era. They get very hard if not kept treated/used. A pair of Soviet jack boots were like cardboard and took a lot of work to get useable.
Maybe it's just the look - kinda bumpy and all. You don't want to look like this:

lol

incredibly-excited-when-made-the-backyard-play-football_819246.jpg

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Why is pigskin not offered as a garment leather. I have a few leather items in pigskin and I like the bristle pattern. Welders I work with have jackets in pigskin. Am I missing something?

While pigskin is hard-wearing, it is the only leather in which the hairs go straight through, leaving holes. So it cannot be thoroughly water proofed.

I got this info from a book regarding leather printed in Britain in 1946.

John

armscye

One of the Regulars
First, footballs aren't really made of pigskin, and actual pigskin is not pebble grained.

As others have noted, pigskin has large pores that go diagonally through the hide. Pigskin is a fairly thin skin, with moderate strength, and is difficult to flense (remove from the animal) in a uniform way. So most pigskin is used in smaller pieces, with much of current production employed for suede.

I have purchased a couple of lower-grade mall jackets in pig, including one effort at an A2 that I bought for a child. None would merit serious consideration by a jacket aficionado.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It looks like most of the pigskin jackets of the 1930s were actually capeskin (sheep) that had been processed to give it a pigskin grain.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
We use pigskin in Australia as protective sheets on our cricket bats...it's glued to the face of the willow and then oiled with linseed. It's harder than Chinese arithmetic ....wouldn't be very keen for a jacket of pig skin, and they wouldn't sell too well in Muslim countries either...

reeks1

One of the Regulars
What's all the fuss with a "Talon" zipper. I see it in those old-time adds above and I know Aero offers them as an option. What is it about them that makes them a selling point?

I'm still learning here, gents....

They were once a quality American zipper, possibly the oldest (Dinerman??), but now the name has been bought by someone else and they are made in China.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?72287-Talon-Zippers

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have a pigskin jacket that I bought from L. L. Bean in the late 'eighties...at least L.L. Bean advertised it as being made from pigskin. It has a knit collar, waistband and cuffs and looks like a leather version of the mid-sixties USAF L-2b, but without the cigarette pocket. It's leather isn't football-like at all. It has a brown suede finish and is not "pebbly". If I were at home, I'd post a photo.

It is a good windbreaker, but lacking insulation, it isn't a warm jacket.

AF

armscye

One of the Regulars
To reply to the questions about pigskin grain, leather is a protein and therefore heat formable, so its grain is easily changed. Remember that most leathers can be "calendared" or embossed, meaning rolled between hot metal rollers to form a desired grain. There are basketweave leather grains, crocodile grains, snakeskin grains, etc.

http://www.rodenleather.com/faqs.html#embossed-leather

reeks1

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner