Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Just got a nice Jaxon Ivy Cap, cotton twill from Village Hat Shop, not the fanciest one but, nice, comfy, light, will work well in the Mexican summer nights, much better looking than a baseball cap to cover your head after an evening at the gym !!

Good value for the price

uploadfromtaptalk1423895066618.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1423895127370.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1423895152964.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1423895180984.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Nice pithy in the corner!!

Well my mind is made up.

Tomorrow is going to be boiling hot. 36'c (about 96'F). Time to road-test the pith helmet and it's supposed cooling abilities...

I'm gonna dunk the Pith Helmet in a sink of cold water tonight. And then tomorrow, I'll wear it to the market. We'll see what's what. The people at the market are used to seeing me in vintage gear and old-style hats (Panama, Boaters, etc), so it won't be some amazing shock to them.

Last edited:
Shangus does your pith have the cork brim? I have a vintage helmet that has a 3/4' thick cork brim covered in the Khaki cloth. It works very well dunked as the cork absorbs a lot of water. I wear it when I want to appear eccentric!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

Yes my pith is made of Cork. I think I COULD have bought a real pith-pith helmet, but they didn't have one in my size and style that I wanted.

...and the Cork was cheaper.

I have soaked the crown of the helmet in a bucket of cold water overnight. This morning I took it out.

Initial observations:

The dye leeched out a bit. The water was stained a shade of khaki. But the helmet itself sustained no staining or ill-effects from 12 hours in the water.

I drained the water and let the excess drip out from the helmet. The helmet has retained its shape very well and shows no signs of damage.

Next step - wearing it in nearly 100'f heat (it's expected to be 33-36'c today, and I'll be outdoors!)

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
Here's one I saved from oblivion. It needed some TLC as the hat body, liner and sweatband were very soiled. The brim had what looked like a chain-stitched edge that was unravelling so I removed the remaining stitches. The ribbon is a little bit frazzled so I'm going to try to do some surgery on it, too. Although there are still some small stains and some minor moth nibbles, the felt is still sound. The sweat band is supple but the stitching is fragile so I could only pull it back enough to see a lot stamp, "LOT 70--".

Stetson No. 1 Quality
IMG_5147_zpstxq1mwvy.jpg

IMG_5144_zpsgcv5rijb.jpg

IMG_5153_zpstobxczkk.jpg

IMG_5145-1_zpswxbplzam.jpg

IMG_5148_zpseg5exaib.jpg

IMG_5146_zpsuofptvhq.jpg

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
The remains of a size tag are attached to the sweatband behind the seam, a bit of greenish-black paper, but no more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters