Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
This hat is probably from the late 1920's as it came in a Montgomery Ward St. Paul Minnesota box with a 10 cent stamp dating from 1927.

This Hat reads Royal Stetson Deluxe as opposed to the later more common Stetson Royal Deluxe.

I love the hat, but I disagree with your dating. I think the hat just ended up in that box. Here's a Stetson that I just bought that's almost certainly 40s with the same style sweat markings and liner as your hat. I'm not even sure that Stetson was using these designations in the 20s.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
3354266859_cb11d0dbc2_b.jpg

The crease is in the style of FDR's Campaign Hat in Warm Springs, GA.

Would that be this hat? :)

P1010081-1.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
Would that be this hat? :)

P1010081-1.jpg
Yes that is the hat, bash isn't identical but similar. The hat itself certainly looks close Ribbon looks identical as do the proportions. That hat was from the late 1920's. The box was a specifically designed shipping box for hats which fits the hat, addressed to the location where the hat came from. The stamp stayed in use until the early 1930's. M.Wards would go through their postage promptly so they wouldn't be using old stamps for long. You have a number of other E C Olson stamped hats on the site all of which appear to be later in style and/or mention their multiple locations.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I love the hat, but I disagree with your dating. I think the hat just ended up in that box. Here's a Stetson that I just bought that's almost certainly 40s with the same style sweat markings and liner as your hat. I'm not even sure that Stetson was using these designations in the 20s.
239579499_tp.jpg
239579469_tp.jpg

3355088430_e4497932e5_b.jpg

Not actually the same stamping, letters are thicker and closer together on yours. Lettering is a different size(smaller) on liner as well Yes, the name designation is the same.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Stetson first used "Royal" in 1935. Granted a trademark 3-10-36.
Stetson first used vita-felt 7-30-1940. Granted a trademark 12-24 1940.
I would expect an old "Royal" to look like;

Dreispitz

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
This is a traditional German velour hat (hut) style. I am not aware of Hut + Mode as a hat maker (maybe Dreispitz can add input) but it was / is most likely a store chain. Also I am not aware of Wilman & Co. Los Angeles. In most cases this type of hat would be made in Germany/Austria/Italy and exported to the US. Could it be some type of modification / reblock of the original?

Hi,

I have checked on a "Hut & Mode" shop. Breiter Hats of of Munich uses Hut & Mode in its yellow pages entry. Hut & Mode translates as hat and fashion. Maybe, the print in the lining is more of a maker´s givaway. Would be good to get a closeup.

Dreispitz

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
mayserwegener said:
This is a traditional German velour hat (hut) style. I am not aware of Hut + Mode as a hat maker (maybe Dreispitz can add input) but it was / is most likely a store chain. Also I am not aware of Wilman & Co. Los Angeles. In most cases this type of hat would be made in Germany/Austria/Italy and exported to the US. Could it be some type of modification / reblock of the original?

I did rebash it. It had a center crease and the back was higher than the front. But other than me rebashing it and giving it a good brushing nothing has been donr to it that I know of. The lining seems to be glued to the top of the crown so I'm assuming it has never been out of the hat.

Wil Tam said:
ummm not so much ... it looks too plasticky to me [huh]
Wil, it does have a shine to it that is magnified by the flash some what. I bought it mainly because I'm tired of regular straw hats only lasting me about 1 season here in Georgia. I can't help getting caught in a thunder shower & then they are done for. Will see if this one hangs in there.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mossant

3362618545_00a666a717_b.jpg

3362618353_99acc53252_b.jpg

3362647285_05de2b8e44_b.jpg

Recently acquired from ebay.fr Nice soft moldable felt. Unfortunately a recovering victim of a moth banquet but looks OK.

MOSSANT HAT AVAILABLE:
Also, for you big-headed guys, I sold a Dobbs Hat to a man in France who has offered me a couple of hats, most notably a gorgeous Mossant Med. Grey Satin Hare(semi-furry) but it is a 61 cm. If someone is interested PM me and I can email pic's and refer you to him. Hope that is not against any rules.
Perhaps I need to clarify, the hat above is not the one available although the color is similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112