Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
New Hat arrived today. i am very happy about this, because, i bought this yesterday, and now he here.
Its a Mayser Model Berlin, Quality Libelle, very light, but with a very stiff felt.
He is in a pristine condition, the Seller wrote, 1980s, but i knowing, its much older. I wrote him, i would pay 25,00 EUR include shipping. Now he mine.
The age is 1961, i think it was a good Deal. What you think?

brim 3 9/16 height 5 5/16

mayserlibelle.jpg

mayserlibelle1.jpg

mayserlibelle2.jpg

mayserlibelle3.jpg

mayserlibelle4.jpg

mayserlibelle5.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lee 2 Ounce

P1030629.JPG
P1030631.JPG

It's a 3.5 ounce hat so must be a 2 ounce body. Not especially lightweight. Has a felted welt edge that could use some perking up.

Nice!

Gary White referred to the 2 ounce body as a felt blank classification not possible to source today. (I wonder what the specs are on the lightweight felts on the wall at Optimo?) I was curious as to the weights of sweatbands after my fully lined pocket hat hit the scales at 2.2 ounces - weighed up a few removed sweats that I have around. The lightest came out of a boater - .4 ounces... the heaviest, a reeded sweat from a 7XCB - almost an ounce.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Nice!

Gary White referred to the 2 ounce body as a felt blank classification not possible to source today. (I wonder what the specs are on the lightweight felts on the wall at Optimo?) I was curious as to the weights of sweatbands after my fully lined pocket hat hit the scales at 2.2 ounces - weighed up a few removed sweats that I have around. The lightest came out of a boater - .4 ounces... the heaviest, a reeded sweat from a 7XCB - almost an ounce.

My Teal Optimo Lightweight weighs 3.5 ounces with a substantial liner, modern thickness unperforated sweatband and bound edge(average size dimensions). The felt is thinner and lighter than this Lee. They have a "featherweight" more akin to the pocket hat as well that is definitely lighter. I do not have one on hand to weigh.

Last edited:

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Nice!

Gary also has a .5 ounce body that he folds and sticks in his shirt pocket. He uses it only for teaching purposes.

DRB

One Too Many
I just got these from Gary White:

Very light brown/taupe color, 100% Beaver, Cavanagh Edge. 5 inches exactly open crowned with a 2 1/8 inch brim.
VerylightbrownBeaverCavanaghEdgeSide-1.jpg
</table>
VerylightbrownBeaverCavanaghEdgeFront-1.jpg

Dark Blue, 5 inches exactly open crowned, with a 2 1/8 inch brim. Long haired, trimmed with Luring grease added.
DarkBluelonghairrabbitwithLeuringgrease-1.jpg

DarkBluelonghairrabbitwithLeuringgrease2-1.jpg

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Great hats Dennis. I really love the hats I have from Gary and I love talking with him. I haven't ordered anything yet from optimo but I have tried several of the other hatter and IMO he makes the best hat along with John Walls, they are by far my favorites even among my vintage collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff