Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
Just got this Mallory Dallas in the mail today. Seller said it had "a few tiny divots." In reality, it's just covered with moth bites (which don't really show in the photographs, but boy do they ever in person). I didn't pay a lot, and it's otherwise clean and fits well, so I'm now faced with the dilemma of whether I should try to return it, or keep it and try to improve it a bit with a hat sponge or some fine grain sandpaper. Any of you guys have any advice?

Mal1.JPG Mal2.JPG Mal3.JPG

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Just got this Mallory Dallas in the mail today. Seller said it had "a few tiny divots." In reality, it's just covered with moth bites (which don't really show in the photographs, but boy do they ever in person). I didn't pay a lot, and it's otherwise clean and fits well, so I'm now faced with the dilemma of whether I should try to return it, or keep it and try to improve it a bit with a hat sponge or some fine grain sandpaper. Any of you guys have any advice?

View attachment 49306 View attachment 49307 View attachment 49308

gorgeous hat

hit it with a sponge or a light grit ... if nothing works then just wear it ... it's a wonderful piece

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
That's definitely what I'll do, then. Believe me though, those pictures flatter it. If I were to return it, I'd probably wind up paying half of what I paid for the hat on shipping, and end up having less money than I started with and nothing to show for it.

I've already given it a good pouncing with a really fine grain sandpaper, and I think it helped a little. The worst spot is right on the front of the brim, and that's where I gave it the most attention, but I also didn't want to risk thinning it too much.

It really is a shame the moths got it so bad, because it is a fine looking hat, looks hardly worn even.

navarre

Vendor
Here is a little project Garrett and I have been working on. This is an English Thoresco Velour that has a full overhaul and is paired with some awesome NOS Agrippa hat clips.
We've been waiting on the clips for a while now, but like the few hats Steve has, I think it makes a cool unique look.

The clip installed

Garrett tweaking the crease here in the shop

and the clips. Our box was short a few, but I can't see getting many requests for them.

I would guess that they a tin or mix alloy as they do not have that distinctive aluminum taste. Yes I did lick one to find out. :)
It was a fun day of super hat geeking in out and I just had to share.

On a side note, does anyone remember the name of the english hat thread? I was going to put this in there, but I could come up with that name.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, Looks fantastic! Are these the same clips that Josh came across? If so do any have hat company names? The clips that Josh came across had "Dermotta" which is an Austrian hat company. My guess is that the hat shop order them and had some made with hat company names on them.

The German ones (similar to mine) in this ad were made of Aluminum.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ntions-and-oddities.60323/page-2#post-2076819

Here is the British Hat Makers thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-great-british-hat-makers.66592/page-9

Here is one in action (top center) in Germany (1930)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/amazing-vintage-photos-of-fedoras.20450/page-6#post-2074616

Last edited:

navarre

Vendor
Thanks for the links Steve. Perhaps I will add this over in the British tread as well

They are "Dermotta". I would guess we bought them from the same person. Did Josh ever post anything about his?
Ours came from the Czech Republic. They went in pretty easy, although I cheated a little and used steam to first give me a good crease.

The photo of Garrett is him putting in the side dents he was after. There was some discussion around which way to best employ the clip, but I think we are both happy with it. I have a pretty big pile of vintage velours laying around, so I may have to work one out for myself. It's just too unique not to have in ones collection.

As always, thanks for the inspiration and great info!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks for the links Steve. Perhaps I will add this over in the British tread as well

They are "Dermotta". I would guess we bought them from the same person. Did Josh ever post anything about his?
Ours came from the Czech Republic. They went in pretty easy, although I cheated a little and used steam to first give me a good crease.

The photo of Garrett is him putting in the side dents he was after. There was some discussion around which way to best employ the clip, but I think we are both happy with it. I have a pretty big pile of vintage velours laying around, so I may have to work one out for myself. It's just too unique not to have in ones collection.

Wow, you sure have something far nice and different from anyone else in the hat making line up! Speaking with a smile I have to add, those clips can be used for many things, clamps for gluing small items, closure for a bag of chips, holding wires for soldiering, working on jewelry, etc. BUT they sure do look super nice on a hat to keep a special crease in the hat!

Bob, Thanks! The first link in my post was broken but now fixed.

The German hats that came with Hutkniffhalters (Hat Pinch Holders) are both made of wool. The wool felt is springy so the felt resists against the holder.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ntions-and-oddities.60323/page-2#post-2076824

They are the same holder as Josh found and from Cypress (Yours are too). Josh hasn't updated.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-items-of-interest.54417/page-27#post-2059207

Dermotta Wien was an Austrian hat company so this store in Cypress most likely sold their hats.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/91-dermotta-wien/

Super to see another Crease Holder in action! You are doing a fantastic job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner