Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Product advice for a new Aero HH jacket

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Would you guys recommend using a leather dressing (oil/beeswax) on a brand new Aero to soften it up a bit for easier break-in? My concern is with the dye. I'm wondering if I should not do anything to it for awhile to insure the dye will settle in completely and not come off when I buff the jacket. Or, is the dye already as solidified as it's going to get?

Would you guys recommend using a leather dressing (oil/beeswax) on a brand new Aero to soften it up a bit for easier break-in? My concern is with the dye. I'm wondering if I should not do anything to it for awhile to insure the dye will settle in completely and not come off when I buff the jacket. Or, is the dye already as solidified as it's going to get?
Short answer: No. Get it a little damp with a spray bottle, then toss it in the clothes dryer for a few mins on low heat - just enough to warm it up. I did that with a couple FQHH jackets and it helped a lot. Put them on warm and wear them. It works great - just don't let it stay in there longer than it takes to warm up.

mrc

Familiar Face
I'd just wear it and let it break in naturally. Horween FQHH softens up with your body heat alone (not sure why!) ...LOL...

D

Deleted member 16736

Don't put it in the dryer. Don't condition it. Wear it. Wear it in the rain. But don't mess with it. The conditioner won't penetrate the hide and the dryer can cause excessive dye-loss along the wear points. Trust me: I learned the hard way.

Ack. I've done the dryer with zero ill effects Joel. No good jacket is going to get hurt doing that. I've done it too, and never had any issues. Did you take the rocks out first? ;)

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
How about the dye question...is it more likely to rub off with a conditioning/buffing when it's brand spankin new (as opposed to being older)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Cyber Lip;

Welcome to the Forum. Take everyone's advice and do not put any conditioner on your new Aero. If you don't apply anything then there's no reason to buff.
Experience on this Forum is if it's Cordovan or Cherry, the dye MAY transfer. I believe if it does transfer, it will usually do it when it is new.

Take Joel's advice and wear it in the rain. Wear it hard......in other words wear the jacket. Wear it in the snow, the rain what have you. If it's Front Quarter Horsehide, wear it some more. I mean wear it. Sleep in it; take it camping and use it as a pillow. These jackets are meant to be worn.

Don't put it on a hangar in the closet.......throw it on the closet floor and walk on it some. When you're ticked off at something, kick it around.

When it's wet from the rain, wear it till it's dry......at least while it's new. It helps the jacket form fit to your body. Yours and yours alone. When it gets to the point of when you put your jacket on to go outside and you can't even remember doing it (because it's so effortless) and you don't even know it's on unless you see it on.....that's when it's broken in and you would never get rid of that jacket because you and the jacket are now one.

You live in Seattle..........a great location for an Aero jacket. Rain, cold humidity, chilly (are you gettin' this Butte? )

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I hear you. I just thought softening it up some before I wear it might be a good idea w/HH. Being so stiff I worry about pulling the stitching.

BTW - do you guys use any sort of waterproofing product on your jackets?

Aero's FQHH is already weather resistant and doesn't need conditioner or 'waterproofing' when new. This type of HH is tanned with fats and oils already. Rub it with your fingers. Feel the waxy finish? Adding more goop is overkill...excessive.
Get a plastic spray bottle. Fill with tap water. Spray jacket down until quite wet. Wear till dry. Wipe off water spots. Repeat...then repeat again. The HH will mold to your body and soften up for more comfortable future wear.
HD

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
One great explanation!!!
cyber lip;

welcome to the forum. Take everyone's advice and do not put any conditioner on your new aero. If you don't apply anything then there's no reason to buff.
Experience on this forum is if it's cordovan or cherry, the dye may transfer. I believe if it does transfer, it will usually do it when it is new.

Take joel's advice and wear it in the rain. Wear it hard......in other words wear the jacket. Wear it in the snow, the rain what have you. If it's front quarter horsehide, wear it some more. I mean wear it. Sleep in it; take it camping and use it as a pillow. These jackets are meant to be worn.

Don't put it on a hangar in the closet.......throw it on the closet floor and walk on it some. When you're ticked off at something, kick it around.

When it's wet from the rain, wear it till it's dry......at least while it's new. It helps the jacket form fit to your body. Yours and yours alone. When it gets to the point of when you put your jacket on to go outside and you can't even remember doing it (because it's so effortless) and you don't even know it's on unless you see it on.....that's when it's broken in and you would never get rid of that jacket because you and the jacket are now one.

You live in seattle..........a great location for an aero jacket. Rain, cold humidity, chilly (are you gettin' this butte? )

regards,
coffee

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
If strangers advice doesnt wage so heavily, then take the makers word for it:

From Aeros homepage:
Treating The Leather

This is even easier. Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035.

So Aero themselves advice to not do anything. We all advice to not put anything on it. So, just wear it.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Well OK then. I've never owned a high end HH jacket before. All my low end MC jackets in the past have taken on a weird sort of oxidized look and did not age well if I didn't treat them with products once a year. So you all are saying Aeros will look just as good, or even better after years of no treatment and lots of exposure to the elements? Forgive my peskiness...I've never owned a 1k+ jacket before. Thanks for the advice btw, even the guy that advised I put it in the dryer, lol

Well OK then. I've never owned a high end HH jacket before. All my low end MC jackets in the past have taken on a weird sort of oxidized look and did not age well if I didn't treat them with products once a year. So you all are saying Aeros will look just as good, or even better after years of no treatment and lots of exposure to the elements? Forgive my peskiness...I've never owned a 1k+ jacket before. Thanks for the advice btw, even the guy that advised I put it in the dryer, lol
Nothing to laugh at. Many do it. You of course are free to ignore it. I was hesitant too for my first custom $1k jacket. Over time,you learn.

wallis

Familiar Face
Sleep in it. Turn the a/c up, don't use a comforter, and wear only a t-shirt underneath. This will break it in real quick.

I've never done this w/ an Aero fqhh jacket, but have done it with many other horsehide jackets.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I saw Will's own Highwayman at the Goodwood Festival a few weeks back, and it looked fantastic. So I'd suggest following Aero's instructions of "do nothing", and abuse the jacket for the next twenty years. At that point you'll probably need to replace the lining, but the leather will be great. :D

(Yes, Will's was fifteen to twenty years old, and had softened up. Breaking in an Aero is a major commitment.)

too much coffee

Practically Family

I too have put an Aero very heavy steerhide jacket in the dryer without heat (AIR only) to assist in the break in process. Worked very well....softened it up.
I also had the opportunity to buy a Vanson Enfield cowhide for real cheap. It was size 48 and I wear a 44. I washed it in the washing machine and then dried it on high heat, checking it every 5 or 10 minutes. After maybe 35 minutes I now had a size 44 Vanson Enfield. That was about a year and a half ago and that jacket is one of my absolute favorites

Regards,
coffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot