Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prom Suit?

Mr. Turner

New in Town
With prom at my high school coming up, I'm in need of a suit or tux of some sort. (Although, I should probably get a date first...I'm waiting to hear back from a few girls)

Anyway...

I've been looking around online, around the local rental shops, and I've come to decide to either go with a formal/traditional tux (style is still in the air: notch, cutaway, etc.) or a zoot suit.

Personally, I've never seen a zoot suit worn to a high school prom in my town (I have 4 older brothers, and I've been a photographer for a while, I was always conned into doing Pictures in the Park) so I think that might be fun.

Maybe if anyone here has any suggestions/ideas, that would be most helpful. (Colours, of course, will be decided at a later date...when I have a date.)

DerMann

Practically Family
Mr. Turner said:
With prom at my high school coming up, I'm in need of a suit or tux of some sort. (Although, I should probably get a date first...I'm waiting to hear back from a few girls)

Anyway...

I've been looking around online, around the local rental shops, and I've come to decide to either go with a formal/traditional tux (style is still in the air: notch, cutaway, etc.) or a zoot suit.

Personally, I've never seen a zoot suit worn to a high school prom in my town (I have 4 older brothers, and I've been a photographer for a while, I was always conned into doing Pictures in the Park) so I think that might be fun.

Maybe if anyone here has any suggestions/ideas, that would be most helpful. (Colours, of course, will be decided at a later date...when I have a date.)

Good to see I'm not the youngest member on these boards ;)

I went all out for the promenade. I'm pretty sure I've spent upwards of $500 on clothes alone.

However, this has equipped me with a complete set of formal tails.

-$220 on a vintage tailcoat
-$140 on a stiff fronted shirt
-$32 on collars (2, one wingtip one Imperial)
-$40 on trousers
-$90 on a waistcoat
-$30 on a silk scarf
-$16 on a marcella bowtie
-$10 on shirt and collar studs
-$10 on gloves

I'm fairly certain that I have, indeed, spent more money on my outfit than my date will. Take that stereotypes!

I already had a top hat and patent leather oxfords, so I went from there ;)

I can only suggest to you to stay away from Zoot suits. They were made popular by rebellious teens in the 40s, and were ridiculed then as they are now.

You cannot go astray with the classic dinner jacket for black tie.

If you are of normal build, I would suggest a single breasted notched lapel dinner jacket in black with satin lapels. Black waistcoat, black trousers with a thin line of serge down the legs.

If you're like me, then a double breasted peaked lapel dinner jacket would suit your body type more appropriately. You can wear a cumberbund or a waistcoat if you'd like, but DB jackets sort of make them moot (so long as you keep the jacket properly fastened).

Another possibility is the single breasted dinner jacket in ivory with shawl lapels. Makes for a more tropical look. You can also get a DB jacket in ivory, but try and stick with peaked lapels.

With all of these jackets, one should wear a black bow tie (I would very much say it be a self tie, no pre-tied or clip on), a plain fronted white shirt with a winged collar (I'm not a fan of pleated front shirts) with French cuffs and preferably the ability to take shirt studs.

Black tie (the style I described above) can be easily had from many online purveyors. If you choose to buy, find all of your sizes, and look around on eBay. One guy, thetuxxman, is particularly good with black tie. Lots of choices and quick shipping. Prices are very reasonable as well.

-DerMann

P.S. Good luck with the g'hals, I know it can be tough. A friend of mine has already been rejected by four girls :/ I'm glad I got my lady friend earlier.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of cummerbunds, one of the things I learned to my great shock and amazement from the Formal Wear Primer thread, was that cummerbunds are only correct worn with the white summer dinner jacket. If you wear a double breasted jacket (to me that's a very cool 40's look) you don't need waistcoat or cummerbund at all. Makes it a lot more comfortable, actually. The white double breasted dinner jacket, with the shawl collar and the burgundy cummerbund is a very cool look.
I didn't go to my prom back in 1964. I was one of the nerdy kids. Forget even thinking about getting a date. I kind of wish I had gone, after all these years. Check the formal wear primer, and have a good time. Oh, yes, AND BEHAVE! ;)

Edward

Bartender
I did go - much under protest, and at the insistence of my parents (my teenage Trotskyite self regarded it all as so much bourgeousie decadence lol ). In Ireland, these thnigs are very much a black tie affair. I wore a white, wing collar shirt with sb shawl collar jacket and matching trousers. The bow tie was pre-tied (yuck...), but it was at least black. A lot of guys went with one atching their date's dress and other such then-fashionable concepts. I didn't take a date (I think maybe a third or less of us went alone), but I was resolutely committed to wearing a black tie no matter what. I still like those photos. :)

I would suggest that you drop the idea of a zoot suit. They're fun, sure - I'd love one myself - but IMO it's not the right thing for the occasion. A decent, traditional black tie is the best option. Find a classic design and wear it well, and you will look superb.

Lots of good advice above as to sorting out which style you are after. I would also suggest you trawl ebay's vintage categories - I recently purchased an early 1940s dj and trousers for significantly less than the price of a single evening's hire of a modern such outfit.

My best advice for black tie is that it is always worth learning how to tie a bow yourself. With a little practice it becomes very easy indeed, but it always impresses and looks so much better than a pre-tied alternative.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And once you have formal wear,

you will discover so many opportunities to wear it!

Your local symphony and/or opera probably need volunteer ushers - if you have the suit, you can see a lot of free culture.

Big fancy black tie fund-raiser parties also always need bright young things to help out, and are usually very swanky affairs with orchestras and food and stuff.

Not to mention that a zoot might look cute in the pictures, but the memory of suave you in the tux will stay with the lucky girl forever.

Don't forget the corsage...

Josephine

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Speaking of cummerbunds, one of the things I learned to my great shock and amazement from the Formal Wear Primer thread, was that cummerbunds are only correct worn with the white summer dinner jacket.

I'd have to disagree that the cummerbund is only correct with a white dinner jacket. From what I have read, it's fine, though less formal than the waistcoat, with a black dinner jacket.

Feraud

Bartender
Josephine said:
I'd have to disagree that the cummerbund is only correct with a white dinner jacket. From what I have read, it's fine, though less formal than the waistcoat, with a black dinner jacket.

I am under the same impression. My reading of the cummerbund issue is it is less formal than a waistcoat but acceptable for the black dinner jacket.

Mr. Turner

New in Town
First of all, thank you for all of your suggestions.

If it helps anyone...I'm a junior in high school, so I do have this and next year for the prom. So I do have the choice of going silly for one, and suave for the other.

Also, the reason I'm going this year is because people finally saw my dancing skills, and I had a lot of people telling me to come to prom, liven it up a bit, and to help pay for a limo that my friends ordered. (But no one wanted to go as a date with me...go figure)

Also, do to circumstances out of my control, the girl I was originally going to go with this year (from a town about 2 hours away) has a dance recital on our prom date, but perhaps next year (So she says...) and the new date I'm waiting for an answer on has college finals the next week. (But, she IS an English major, they can't be that hard. :p )

Just a few circumstances to bring into the picture.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Wrong again . . . . [huh]

Mr. Turner

New in Town
DerMann said:
I went all out for the promenade. I'm pretty sure I've spent upwards of $500 on clothes alone.

However, this has equipped me with a complete set of formal tails.

-$220 on a vintage tailcoat
-$140 on a stiff fronted shirt
-$32 on collars (2, one wingtip one Imperial)
-$40 on trousers
-$90 on a waistcoat
-$30 on a silk scarf
-$16 on a marcella bowtie
-$10 on shirt and collar studs
-$10 on gloves

I'm fairly certain that I have, indeed, spent more money on my outfit than my date will. Take that stereotypes!

I already had a top hat and patent leather oxfords, so I went from there ;)

I'd like to see that, have any pictures?

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
Speaking of cummerbunds, one of the things I learned to my great shock and amazement from the Formal Wear Primer thread, was that cummerbunds are only correct worn with the white summer dinner jacket.

That was the rule in the 1930s and 40s but since the mid-1950s cummerbunds have been considered correct with any dinner jacket.

Mr. Turner

New in Town
After much thought, I'm going with a cutaway tux, or a vintage tailcoat. (The general consensus of everyone I asked agreed on that.

I'm still in the air on rentals or buying, I want to buy, and I'm sure I could get some great deals on eBay...I'm just steadily losing weight, but the only thing that should need to be re-bought would be trousers...and I can probably have those altered pretty cheaply (Having an avid sewing/altering grandmother helps A LOT)

I'm still in the air on a date, but I still have the call out on a few ladies, hopefully those will start coming back soon.

Any specific suggestions would be most helpful (Cane? Hat? Cuff links? Bowtie? Color? Etc?)

metropd

One Too Many
I did go - much under protest, and at the insistence of my parents (my teenage Trotskyite self regarded it all as so much bourgeousie decadence lol

:eek:fftopic:
What would your teenage Trotskyite say about your avatar? lol

Go with a one button peak lapel tuxedeo and black bowtie. Always classy.

Mr. Turner

New in Town
Ha, well, I got a date.

I got a response from the lady I asked, the one I wanted to go with who still could.

She's a freshman in college...I'm lucky with the older ladies :p

Thank you all for your input, and more is still welcome.

DerMann

Practically Family
Mr. Turner said:
I'd like to see that, have any pictures?
I actually haven't received the tailcoat yet (it's on its way from Blighty).

I'll get picture together when I get everything tailored to my needs (pants still need to be hemmed D: )

Cutaway coats (swallow tail, morning coat, etc...) are strictly for formal dress prior to 6:00 Pip Emma. After 6:00, a tailcoat is worn.

If you go with tails, a white marcella (pique in American English) bow tie and waistcoat are a must. Marcella is a textured fabric that is dimpled (my 14 year old brother said that my waistcoat was made out of paper towels when he first saw it :( ). A silk or beaver skin top hat (vintage) is the only acceptable hat for tails. The one I have is actually a modern reproduction made by a hatter. It isn't made of real silk/pelts, but it looks very convincing. Not to mention it was $80 for a completely bespoke hat (if you'd like I can dig through my email account for their email address).

As for cufflinks, see what colour jewellery your date is wearing (gold/silver tone). I, personally, love the classic round, silver cufflinks with an onyx stone set in the middle (doesn't have to be onyx, just some black material).

A thin black walking stick would accompany tails quite well, and I'm thinking about one myself.

With black tie and white tie, it pays to think in black and white. The furthest you should deviate from that is ivory or midnight blue (which is acceptable for tails). Luckily my date said that she was going to get a black dress, so it was almost synergy between us :D

The boldest thing I would do in terms of colour would be a silk pocket square in the colour of your date's gown.

Edward

Bartender
Re Jewellery, I believe that gold is considered correct for daywear, and silver for evening. If you are going to be wearing white tie and tails, a wing-collar shirt which fastens with studs (rather than buttons) is a must. The studs should be silver with white / light coloured MOP facing. If wearing black tie, shirt may be wing collar or turnover collar (personally I prefer a turnover with black tie, though some consider it to be less formal). Stud fastening is still preferable, and again these should be a silver colour, though with black facing this time (to match the tie).

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Mr. Turner said:
Any specific suggestions would be most helpful (Cane? Hat? Cuff links? Bowtie? Color? Etc?)

Cane -- Do you require assistance walking? Leave the walking stick at home.

Hat -- Of course. With tails, a top hat would be best, but you might be able to pull off a Homburg. On second thought, topper or nothing. And if you go for the top hat, white gloves would be a nice touch. Given these accessories, it might be possible to rethink prohibition on the walking stick above.

Cuff links -- You don't want your shirt cuffs flopping all about under your jacket now do you? The links should match your shirt studs. They come as a set. And yes, silver tone is apropos for after 5:00.

Bowtie -- Black. Either cross grain or satin to match your lapel facings. Self-tie is far superior to anything else. A different cravat my be permissible (formal cravats look good with tails IMHO. Check Edward's avatar).

Color -- Black. It's not unthinkable to coordinate your tie and cummerbund with your date's dress, but black is always safe. I also stand opposed to bright or pastel tie/cummerbund statements.

If you do opt to match to your date's dress, you could consider a pocket square that flashes that dash of color. I've seen people pull off a bright pocket square, generally in the red family, for a dash of color, but you don't ever want it to compete with a boutonniere. So on second thought, ditch the pocket square lean heavily toward the black tie/cummerbund.

And about that cummerbund, have you considered a waistcoat?

Anything else?

Mark

Mr. Turner

New in Town
Ugarte said:
If you do opt to match to your date's dress, you could consider a pocket square that flashes that dash of color...

And about that cummerbund, have you considered a waistcoat?

I was actually leaning towards the waistcoat more, and perhaps a champagne colored pocket square, as it is the color of my date's gown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24