Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Qaulity leather jacket weight? In pounds, of course!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
What is the weight of a quality G-1, and A-2? In pounds. Should it weigh around 5lbs? 4lbs? More? Does the weight tell you the quality of the jacket?

Seems like all of my leather jackets are heavy, I would guess 5 pounds minimum.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Vintage jacket leather was more likely to be 2.2oz, not the 3oz that is often popular today. I personally prefer jackets that weigh under 4 pounds or 1.7 kilos.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Vintage jacket leather was more likely to be 2.2oz, not the 3oz that is often popular today. I personally prefer jackets that weigh under 4 pounds or 1.7 kilos.

They are all pretty heavy today, as in the 4lb or 1.7k range (+/-).

Weight indicates the jacket's been made from a thick(er) leather, which of course makes it tougher and more durable I'd imagine, but as far as the quality of the leather itself goes, I don't think weight has got much to do with it.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
probably thicker leather would suggest more functional/ purpose built jacket, rather than fashion item. personally I think thick ones look better zipped, and thin leathers look better unzipped.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Weight indicates the jacket's been made from a thick(er) leather, which of course makes it tougher and more durable I'd imagine, but as far as the quality of the leather itself goes, I don't think weight has got much to do with it.

My take on hide thickness is simple but personal - sometimes items are surplus to requirements. Unless you're on a bike you don't need more than 2,5oz leather. I have not managed to wear out a 2.5 thick jacket that I bought in 1988. It's been worn to death or undeath in this case. I don't enjoy wearing heavier leathers they are often too warm for me (in as much as I sweat wearing them). They are rarely warm enough when it actually gets cold. So 2.5oz goat is as good as I'll ever need leather to be. I've recently started wearing a 2oz very light calf jacket in a Highwayman style. I enjoy it as much as any other jacket I've ever owned. Cost $20 from a thrift shop.

Yep, no doubt there are some fantastic leather jackets that aren't made from a 4 oz thick hide that now seems almost like a standard for some people - and what other members said, vtg jackets were rarely ever as heavy as what's today being used today for repros and such (except for Cal leather, perhaps, as these were always beasts) - and many times will lighter jackets look even better on a person than some of that stuff we prefer here. Say what you will, but Belstaff jackets always look great!

I prefer thicker hide for a number of reasons; I ride but I also like the idea of having a jacket that's going to last me a long time without much hustle with maintenance. Thick leather doesn't get soaked easily and I strongly dislike umbrellas.

Another thing that helped me made up my mind regarding hide thickness happened a few years back, I was about to enter a restaurant as this guy was walking out. He wore an absolutely beautiful looking Belstaff leather jacket (easy to spot them with that metal logo on the sleeve), one of their modern motorcycle styles in brown, and the jacket somehow got caught on the door handle. The handle wasn't pointed nor sharp, a simple round, large handle and the jacket didn't get seriously stuck, just sort of got pulled by the handle for a moment but apparently that was enough for the leather to rip apart. At first, the guy was just standing there, staring in a disbelief at the ripped jacket, blocking the entrance to the restaurant, then began cursing like a mad man. Understandably. Anyway, it was then that I figured I wouldn't want to risk having something like that happening to me.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hear you but as I say 2.5 oz is more than thick enough to wear like iron for a lifetime and never tear like that piece of **** Belstaff.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I like the heavier weight and feel of the modern jacket. Helps keep you warm on these North Texas (22 degree) winter days. Plus should last a long time, as pointed out.
But for pure warmth, my B-15 and CWU-55P are far warmer, and weigh next to nothing. Plus they shed water like a duck!

Not worried about tearing any of my jackets. I'm far too anal to allow that sort of accident to ever happen!

I hear you but as I say 2.5 oz is more than thick enough to wear like iron for a lifetime and never tear like that piece of **** Belstaff.

Agreed 100%. As far as I am concerned, 2.5 oz should be considered heavyweight and anything above 3 an insanity. But one of a good kind. lol

IXL

One Too Many
Leather, being a very poor insulating material, won't provide much more than a good wind block regardless of the thickness itself. A warm lining, on the other hand.....
That being said, I like me some armor!!!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
so happen yesterday I walked pass clothing racks in dept store, and as I passed by another person browsed that rack turned the hanger out to check the clothes, and it got into the biswing gusset of my sleeve, my shoulder pulled back, the rack moved a bit, but no damage whatsoever. 3 kilos of 1.8mm successfully protected me from an evil clothes hanger.

Edward

Bartender
I like a pretty solid leather, but I own everything from a fairly light goat up to FQHH. All of them become like a second skin once I break them in (which doesn't take long for me). As long as it's durable, that's the main thing. I hate really light leathers that you'd have to baby, though - like the Belstaff mentioned above. There's rarely anything on the mainstream fashion market I'd wear; less because of style, more because it's so light, most of it would rip if you bumped into a brick wall.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
My Belstaff Knockhill from the motorcycle collection weighs 8lbs+ sans armor. Are you sure you saw a Belstaff leather jacket get torn and not a waxed cotton jacket? I suppose there are fashion versions of Belstaff leather out there but I haven't seen one in the wild.

IXL

One Too Many
....... I suppose there are fashion versions of Belstaff leather out there but I haven't seen one in the wild.

I have, at a Dallas motorcycle show, of all places. That jacket would have come in second-best to a piece of Saran Wrap.
The true Motorcycle Collection garments are the real deal though, as evidenced by the one a friend owned for some time.

ykurtz, it wasn't a jacket from their heritage MC collection which I am sure is still designed to be worn on a motorcycle but rather one of those CR types you see Beckham wearing in the commercials. Brown, had some stripes across the chest if I remember right. Beautiful jacket in any case and it didn't seem that fragile at all... Belstaff Hero jacket, one from the War of the Worlds movie is also a very substantial riding jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails