Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality T-Shirts

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Ok, I confess...I DID try to read the "Start Here" section for underwear, but I was getting TMI for a lady!!
So, forgive me if this was answered there~
I am looking for someplace in the US to buy quality cotton T-shirts (undershirts) for my husband..the kind where the neck doesn't look ruffled after one washing, or feels about as threadbare as one that survived WWII!
Hanes, Fruit o'the loom...not worth anything. I do wash them on gentle and am willing to hand wash if that will prolong their life but I am tired of wasting his money on garbage undershirts.
I am sure one of you gentleman has the answer...thank you in advance :)

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Ladies..I need help here!!

I asked the men over on their 'attire' thread...and after 84 views, no one has responded. [huh]
I find it hard to believe that none of them wear undershirts!
(I do confess I did try to read through a thread they had posted on undergarments but it was TMI for this lady! :eek: )
Maybe I am asking the wrong people...

And, so, I ask you, dear ladies...

I need to by The Mister some quality undershirts...the kind where the neck doesn't turn into a ruffle after a few washings and they aren't threadbare to begin with!
Do you buy the man in your life quality undershirts? Does he buy his own?
Could someone please help me out by Saturday?! I need a US store and the price wouldn't be quite as painful as long as they were of good quality...Fruit of the Loom and Hanes just don't hold up..and he wears them mostly for Sunday go-to-meeting...I am even willing to hand wash...
but I am desperate!

lareine

A-List Customer
By "undershirt" do you mean a t-shirt
fruitoftheloom-100-tshirt-white-fullsize.jpg

or a vest?
john-lewis-cotton-layer-vest-whiteblue-s-5223336.jpeg

Todd V

Familiar Face
I buy a few packs of Fruits or Hanes once a year and rotate them in. If the washing machine doesn't destroy them, the deodorant stains will. For undershirts, I just deal with it. For shirts that are a bit nicer for a Saturday night outfit, I find the Calvin Klein t's I get in three packs at the discount clothing stores are quite nice. I wish I had the answe for you!

Todd Vanderbilt

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Bless your hearts, thanks for your opinion Todd and dear OldSoul, thank you for the links to the thread...I was pretty sure they were in the undergarments thread but I backed out when the talk began with 'boxers or briefs'! :eek:

Foofoogal

Banned
Equmen Precision Undershirt (Saks, a bit pricey) or Lands End.

Sound like me. I cannot seem to find a decent pair of socks to save my life lately. Either that or bleach does not work anymore. [huh]

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
lareine said:
By "undershirt" do you mean a t-shirt
fruitoftheloom-100-tshirt-white-fullsize.jpg

or a vest?
john-lewis-cotton-layer-vest-whiteblue-s-5223336.jpeg

You learn something new everyday! Yes, I do mean a t-shirt :)

A 'vest' here in the Republic of Cal-eee-for-nya is known as a "Wife Beater" and THAT'S not even a word I want used in this house let alone named for my husbands' undergarment lol

Vest is such a nicer word...I think I shall use that the next time I am in conversation and that nasty phrase gets used ;)

shebagrl

Familiar Face
My husband likes the Calvin Klein brand. Nordstrom and Macy's should both have them. They're a bit pricey, but he likes them for better dressed-up days because they fit well and seem to hold up. Good luck!

Maneki 13

New in Town
My other half likes Jockey. There are more than Hanes but not as expensive as CK. In my experience they hold up pretty well.

:eek:fftopic:
The "wifebeater" comment just reminded me of something. True story--years ago, I worked in a sporting goods store. A customer came up to me and asked me if we sold "wifebeaters". I seriously never heard the term before, didn't know he was looking for a-shirts. I didn't know what to do, was almost scared, and showed him were the baseball bats were. He told me what the phrase meant and I was so relieved. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to call the police or what I should've done if he were looking for bats.

lareine

A-List Customer
I've heard the term "wifebeater" used to describe a vest on The OC, but never in real life. In real life I've often heard it used to describe Stella beer. That has quite a high alcohol content and I suppose it became notorious for guys getting tanked up on Stella and then going home and smacking their wives about!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
Equmen Precision Undershirt (Saks, a bit pricey) or Lands End.

Sound like me. I cannot seem to find a decent pair of socks to save my life lately. Either that or bleach does not work anymore. [huh]

I second Lands End. They used to do a tshirt specifically cut a bit neater to the body and higher under the arms to be worn as an undershirt. I don't know if they still do; I haven't bought one in a few years.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
lol
Maneki 13 said:
My other half likes Jockey. There are more than Hanes but not as expensive as CK. In my experience they hold up pretty well.

:eek:fftopic:
The "wifebeater" comment just reminded me of something. True story--years ago, I worked in a sporting goods store. A customer came up to me and asked me if we sold "wifebeaters". I seriously never heard the term before, didn't know he was looking for a-shirts. I didn't know what to do, was almost scared, and showed him were the baseball bats were. He told me what the phrase meant and I was so relieved. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to call the police or what I should've done if he were looking for bats.
lol lol lol
I have heard the term since I started teaching high school lets not talk about how long that has been. One thing about being a high school teacher is it tends to keep you current on all the latest slang or at least at an inner city school. I know i had a girl friend that taught in a wealthy suburb and asked her if her kids ever used the same slang and she about died laughing and telling me about the student parking lot versus the teacher lot and the comparison in the cars, teacher driving way older beat up cars students driving expensive newer models.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Wifebeater" is one modernism I can't stand, period, and I never heard it anywhere but the internet. We always called those sleeveless shirts "undershirts" or "athletic shirts," and the ones with sleeves were simply "t shirts." My grandfather always wore athletic shirts, but they were never seen in public except while mowing the lawn on a very very hot day. Before they became a pricey fashion item, they came three to the pack for a few dollars at any cheap discount store, but the better quality ones came from Sears.

Winter undershirts, meanwhile, had long sleeves and three buttons at the neck and were called "Wallace Beerys."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot