Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Akubra Fedora (the model not the style)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
So I've come to the conclusion that straight sided hats suit me far better than one's whose sides taper - I love my Fed IV. I was thinking about getting a Stylemaster, but I believe the taper won't suit me. I've searched the forum for some info/shots on the Akubra Fedora as another option but didn't find anything satisfactory to answer my question.

So can some Akubra Fedora owners chime in? Being an open crown hat I assume there is no taper unless you put it there? Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I'm not an Akubra Fedora owner, but if you like tall crowns with no taper, checkout the Akubra Campdraft. The Campdraft is like a vintage Stetson Open Road. Akubra made them for Stetson in the past.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I have a Sydney, which I understand to be similar in dimension to the Fedora, and it does have a slight taper to the crown. Not as much as a Stylemaster, but more than a Campdraft.

Edit: Pictures!

Sydney:
n800095581_5949819_4786339.jpg

Campdraft:
IMG_1221.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Chuck - the Campdraft is on my list as well, but I'm not 100% sold on the thin ribbon working for me. I've got an Akubra Traveller on it's way to be now with a thin leather band and that will help be decide about the band. Right now I tend to like them a little wide than narrow.

KeyGrip - thanks for the pics, the Sydney is the same as the Fedora. So less of a taper than the Stylemaster - that's good to know. I think I can work with a little taper.

Anyone else got some pics or advice for me?

Goose.

Practically Family
Sydney carbon from David Morgan.
ValEag has posts with pics of his Fedora around here somewhere.
Same lid except for color and the umbilical cord (trolley).

It is slightly tapered as can be seen below.

Why not get a Fed of a different color? A Fed IV Standard hasn't the taper a Sydney/Fedora does and is a few clams cheaper.

467431595_9KEj6-S-1.jpg
470754753_CA9Kj-S.jpg
470374836_bdBHB-S-2.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Well I'm actually looking at buying all the different coloured Fed IVs :) However, I thought it might be nice to try something different. BUT I've been trying on some of the other fedoras that I bought before the Fed IV and I've really started to realize what works for me and what doesn't. I'm about 6'3" in shoes so straight, tall crown hats with large brims look just fine on me. I picked up a cheap wool fedora ages ago and it's tapered and stingy and I might as well use it to dust with because I'm not wearing that again. I've also got a DP Indy hat (fur felt that I got for $70) and it has a slight taper and I've realized that that doesn't work for me either. Straight sides is what I like - I've got a Robert Hall fedora which isn't as finely made as Fed IV, but it's got straight sides and I like that one too. I guess I'm probably better off sticking with what works rather than trying variety. I like the way I look in a Fed IV so maybe I should stick to that in different colours. I even know what size to order :)

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Fedora pics

FFF - I hope these will help you.

Carbon Grey Fedora just out of the box:
IMG_0008.jpg

Burnt Oak Fedora just out of the box:
IMG_0270.jpg

Akubra Casual (left) and Carbon Grey Fedora (right) side by side:
IMG_0189.jpg

Carbon Grey Fedora UM (ugly mug) shot:
IMG_0032.jpg

If you want a specific angle let me know and I'll try to post some for you tomorrow. The Fedora does come with the wind trolley. I didn't care for it that much and did a hatsectomy on both of mine. The crease on mine is a center dent.

Goose.

Practically Family
ValEag said:
... did a hatsectomy on both of mine...
lol lol
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Triple F...

Don't get me wrong at all. I really like my Sydney carbon. In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this and smoking a pork loin.

My Sydney was my first Akubra from over a decade ago. It is lighter than a Fed Standard, comfortable as heck...VERY much so, and has a killer red lining that is da bomb.

Just meant that if you are concerned about a "bit" of taper...then stay with the Fed. Having stated such, the taper is not that bad. The taper on my Bogart lids and C.E.O. are more pronounced than my Sydney. Heck, like it so much, my older beagle is named "Sydney" ;)

If you would like, I wouldn't mind taking some pics of the Sydney (Fedora) and Federation side by side for you.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Goose if you could do a few side by side straight on that would be great. Like a lot of people I'm in a situation where there's no way for me to see what these hats actually look like unless I can find some good pictures on the net. And I don't think anyone wants to have to sent a hat back to Australia. Your offer is greatly appreciated and I can't wait to see the pics for comparison.

ValEag thatnks for the pics, they are great. Hat really suits you but I'm not sure if it's too low for me. My Fed IV is 4" at the lowest point on the crease and 4 1/2" on the sides. Here I am in it, do you think the Fedora/Sydney will suit?

Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of the centre crease so I tend to go for C-crown variations.

3461241732_923542ee4c.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Triple F...

Don't get me wrong at all. I really like my Sydney carbon. In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this and smoking a pork loin.

Isn't it hard to keep that lit...? lol ba-dum-bum-CHING! (drum roll) :rolleyes:
I think the fedora/sydney look great whenever I see photos of guys wearing them here. Goose, ValEag and Keygrip all wear one well and look sharp in them. I'm not sure if I would or not.

Oh and BinkieBaumont...that Stylemaster looks fantastic!

3F, It's been my short experience that going with a C, teardrop, or diamond bash does lower the crown a bit more than the center dent. I think the Fed is a great hat for you. Those thin ribbons have a way of sneaking up on you too. There is a squad of thin ribbon hit men ready to pounce at any time and show off their Stetsons and Campdrafts. You may not like the thin ribbon look now, but someday maybe RBH will stop by with his movie pic of Jimmy Stewart in the FBI story, or was it Thunder Bay?, wearing the Open Road with the diamond bash. :D

IMG_3455-1-1.jpg

IMG_3462-1-1-2.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
A Campdraft is a real possibility too, but that's a whole other thread :)

Not trying to hijack your thread...but

FurFeltFedora said:
So I've come to the conclusion that straight sided hats suit me far better than one's whose sides taper
Well I'm actually looking at buying all the different coloured Fed IVs :) However, I thought it might be nice to try something different.
I'm about 6'3" in shoes so straight, tall crown hats with large brims look just fine on me.

It does seem to meet your criteria...:)

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
Isn't it hard to keep that lit...? lol ba-dum-bum-CHING! (drum roll) :rolleyes:
I think the fedora/sydney look great whenever I see photos of guys wearing them here. Goose, ValEag and Keygrip all wear one well and look sharp in them. I'm not sure if I would or not.

Yep. The next hardest is finding the huge rolling papers needed to smoke that pork ;)

I think you would do well in a Sydney Chuck :) Thanks for the comment. And, truth be told, I didn't like bound edged until I started to see the pics here in FL. Can a thin ribbon be next? :rolleyes:

Here ya go Triple F. I unbashed for pics and then rebashed. Sydney Charcoal 60. Fed IV Black 61. Both are telescope bashed and 4.25" at the front.

Pics cropped close with hopes the the pic edges give some perspective on the lines of the lids.

521645916_YyDLc-M-1.jpg
521646510_tfUma-M-1.jpg

521646833_hdkLk-M-1.jpg
521645067_e28m5-M-1.jpg

Oh, hey ValEag...got a pic you can post of that Burnt Oak Fedora bashed? Also, does the carpet match the drapes (ribbon and hat...or is that ribbon black)?

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks Goose that was what I really needed to see. The Sydney/Fedora is a fine looking hat, but it's got too much taper for me. No, I think I'll have to stick to the Fed IV or cross to the dark side of thin ribbons and the Campdraft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart