Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about leather jacket fit ...

VR46

Familiar Face
I just bought an Aero Cafe Racer in FQHH, size 36 Purchased from a forum member here, so didn't go through Insurrection's fit procedure. I'm on the fence about whether it fits well or I need to go up a size to a 38.

Can't post pictures at the moment, but will try to add those later to try to benefit from the wisdom of the group here - but in the meantime maybe a few questions without pictures.

Belly and waist is fine, no problem. Zips up easily all the way like the cut was made just for me. Sleeve length is good, would probably like another half inch in the sleeves but that's partlly because I'm used to wearing a Vanson Enfield jacket that I've had for years which is at least one size too large (it's a 40) and made for motorcycle wear (hence it has extra long sleeves). My question is really about the fit across the shoulders and back. All this is assuming just a long sleeve shirt worn under the jacket, no sweater or other layers. Putting a sweater under this jacket makes it clearly too tight - but that's fine since I have a bigger jacket to wear with layers.

It's tough to raise both arms to parallel with the ground straight ahead, like a zombie. Higher than that is really tugging on the back of the jacket. Not just that the leather is stiff ... there's just not enough room in the shoulders and back to allow it. Should there be?

I can cross my arms, but when I do it's tight all the way around. Again it's like the jacket was cut to fit perfectly, but when I move my arms there isn't always enough room. So how much room do you guys have to move your arms all around? The fit seems great as long as I don't move my arms too much. I could drive (hold a steering wheel) no problem at all, but trying to reach up with both hands to take a box off a high shelf will make the jacket pull across the back of the shoulders, and frankly pulls it up around my neck too. Is that typical? Like I said earlier, I'm used to a Vanson that is too big without layers underneath, so movement in the Vanson hasn't been an issue.

And just for comparison, the Vanson cowhide is thicker, stiffer, and heavier than the Aero FQHH, but the Aero leather has deeper and more interesting color tones and looks like it will break in to have more character.

If this were the Aero fit jacket I would probably request a size up. But since I didn't pay full retail for this one, I'm hesitant to double my investment by buying a new one since this one seems to work great as long as I don't layer and don't need to raise my hands above shoulder height.

Thanks for the input.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Can't comment on the Aero jacket, but since you stress that it feels like fitting perfectly, would recommend to keep in mind that larger doesn't always equal better freedom of movement. As you go up in size, sleeve circumference/ size of the armpit holes probably also goes up, and depending on the style, a too wide or low-cut armhole will cause the whole jacket to slide up when you move your arms up. Maybe that's just not what this particular style was made for. With that kind of jackets, I prefer a tight fit, even if (with motorcycle jackets) it comes at the cost of not being able to fully close the main zipper unless in a riding position. Unrestricted shoulders/ chest/ back are more important, and paradoxically these can be better obtained with a tighter fit, in my experience. And the riding position is what they are made for, anyway.

Aero seems to have a great policy for returns from what I've read, so if you can afford it, I'd try it, keep the jacket you have now and if the larger ones doesn't fit, return it and buy another style with the same funds.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
What you're describing makes me say it's perfect for you (pics would help). The leather will loosen up with wear and time. I've formed the personal opinion that a baggy leather jacket is worse than a snug one.

dan_t

Practically Family
Pic's really are needed to assess correctly. The real point however is whether YOU feel right in it.

I really don't get the whole 'arms above the head' thing, I mean when does anyone actually walk around like that?
Have a look at the thread that I have just started today about an Aero Sheene. This IS an Areo Café Racer jacket. The only difference is that it has a collar attached. If you want a visual comparison, this may help you.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, the whole zombie walk/ 'arms above the head' things don't mean anything! Unless the jacket is literally like a second skin you will always get some rise and some tightness when doing specific movements.
Here is a thread about my AL Cafe Racer, exactly the same pattern as yours but with a few modifications (wind flap, collar), it fits me as well as a jacket could. Still, if i do the zombie walk it pulls a bit across the back, if i reach up i can feel the collar on the back of my neck.

In regular non zombie use it's a great jacket, i feel i can move fine in it. Fit pics are on page 2:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/alexander-leathers-cafe-racer.80054/

Belly and waist is fine, no problem. Zips up easily all the way like the cut was made just for me. Sleeve length is good...

There's really nothing else to be added. Perfect fit is appraised by the wearer. I've seen people in what I thought were great fitting jackets, complaining about the size. It's all down to how you feel about it and seems to me you're happy. Also, considering it's this is an Aero CR we're talking about, it sounds perfect to me.

My question is really about the fit across the shoulders and back. All this is assuming just a long sleeve shirt worn under the jacket, no sweater or other layers. Putting a sweater under this jacket makes it clearly too tight - but that's fine since I have a bigger jacket to wear with layers.

CR is a trim fitting jacket, especially Aero CR. These are not really made with layering in mind. If it was a HWM or some other utility jacket then yeah, perhaps but CR is a different story.

It's tough to raise both arms to parallel with the ground straight ahead, like a zombie. Higher than that is really tugging on the back of the jacket. Not just that the leather is stiff ... there's just not enough room in the shoulders and back to allow it. Should there be?

In a good fitting leather jacket - no.

I can cross my arms, but when I do it's tight all the way around. Again it's like the jacket was cut to fit perfectly, but when I move my arms there isn't always enough room. So how much room do you guys have to move your arms all around? The fit seems great as long as I don't move my arms too much. I could drive (hold a steering wheel) no problem at all, but trying to reach up with both hands to take a box off a high shelf will make the jacket pull across the back of the shoulders, and frankly pulls it up around my neck too. Is that typical?

It is. Again, sound like you got yourself a great fitting Cafe Racer. And honestly, how many times do you find a need to cross your arms while wearing a leather jacket? :) I think that with the CR, even if you sized up, you would still find it equally restrictive at places as this is just the way these jackets are cut - same as how you can, in theory, size down a good two sizes with an Aero HWM and still have a loose fitting jacket.

All in all, I think you're as good as it gets. Also, give it time! These jackets get more and more comfortable with time and wear. After a year or so, I'm sure it will become as comfortable as your Vanson.

IXL

One Too Many
Can you wear the jacket while driving, and then reach up to adjust the sun visor without difficulty? Can you grab a can of blue-lake diagonal-cut no-salt-added green beans from an upper shelf at the grocery store? Comfortably?
If not, this jacket may very well end up spending it's life in a closet if you value mobility.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
Can you wear the jacket while driving, and then reach up to adjust the sun visor without difficulty? Can you grab a can of blue-lake diagonal-cut no-salt-added green beans from an upper shelf at the grocery store? Comfortably?
If not, this jacket may very well end up spending it's life in a closet if you value mobility.

I agree to some point. In theory/ in an ideal world, motorcycle jackets should be tailored to a) the wearer and b) the bike. You'll have a different fit with apehangers (the "zombie walk" may apply here) than on a cruiser (upright position, difficult control at higher speeds) than on a race bike (hunched/ tilted position, very close control). The only companies relevant to this forum that I have heard doing this or something to similar effect would be Langlitz, Bates, Vanson (please correct me if I'm wrong).

VR46

Familiar Face
Thanks for the responses and advice. What a relief that the people who participate in this forum are so considerate and avoid the snarky comments!

I suppose as with most things it just comes down to whether I feel comfortable in the jacket and enjoy wearing it. Which I do! But it helps to have some other opinions to confirm that this is not atypical of a well-fitting jacket. Yes, I can drive comfortably in it and reach up to grab the sun visor. A can of beans from the top shelf would be fine as long as I can use just one arm and the jacket isn't zipped.

I'll hang on to it, wear it, enjoy it, and if an opportunity to try a size 38 comes along then I'll jump on it. Would love to have a Sheene, actually .... And so it begins.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
VR46, to add to what others have already stated - the cafe racer design IS a close-fitting design, also if it's just a bit of tightness here & there I'm pretty sure the Aero leather will loosen up after some wear and be more comfortable as it conforms to your body with a bit of regular wear. My FQHH Aero CR did that. And yeah, coming from a Vanson Enfield that's a size larger - you'll definitely feel different. I too have a Vanson Enfield that I feel might just be a size too big for me and I'm not really happy with the baggier fit - I keep that jacket as my winter-thick-layers-underneath option, but am even contemplating moving it on, let's see. On the other end, I recently picked up a Thedi Leathers cafe jacket from Thurston and when it reached me, my reactions were very similar to yours - fits well in the body with even a bit of wiggle room, but tighter fit across my shoulders, and could do with a half inch or so of sleeve length, but Carrie assures me the leather will loosen up with some wear. I bought it at a discounted price and it looks so darn good that I'm happily keeping it and looking forward to wearing it hard during warmer weather - riding motorcycles, going out at night, etc.

Look forward to your pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24