Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

aloepathic

New in Town
Mr. Peacoat (or whatever the appropriate honorific is), do you have any specific info on the 1968 coat? I know it was the first year they changed from corduroy pockets to cotton, but is there anything else noticeable. It's still Kersey and still pretty fitted no?

Peacoat

Bartender
Mr. Peacoat (or whatever the appropriate honorific is), do you have any specific info on the 1968 coat? I know it was the first year they changed from corduroy pockets to cotton, but is there anything else noticeable. It's still Kersey and still pretty fitted no?

Yes, Mr. Peacoat will do for now.

The 1968 coats were fitted for the military physique. That is, an 18 to 20 year old male, hopefully, in good physical condition. And the superior Kersey wool would remain in the contract specifications for another eleven years. So, if you have a 1968 model, or if you are thinking of getting one, it is a good year.

And, BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Yes, Mr. Peacoat will do for now.

The 1968 coats were fitted for the military physique. That is, an 18 to 20 year old male, hopefully, in good physical condition. And the superior Kersey wool would remain in the contract specifications for another eleven years. So, if you have a 1968 model, or if you are thinking of getting one, it is a good year.

And, BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

Hello Mr. Peacoat,
Does that mean that a coat from '78 or '79 would be very similar to a coat from '69? Also, have you ever come across or have ever seen a WWII coat posted that was a size 46? I have seen 44, but not 46. I wonder if they even made that size back then??

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello Mr. Peacoat,
Does that mean that a coat from '78 or '79 would be very similar to a coat from '69? Also, have you ever come across or have ever seen a WWII coat posted that was a size 46? I have seen 44, but not 46. I wonder if they even made that size back then??

Yes, those years are very similar and probably impossible to tell apart if there is no tag on them.

Not sure that I have seen a 46 WWII coat.

For those of you who found this thread from an outside search engine, there is another thread that spells out the ins and outs of Peacoat Dating. It is found in a sticky toward the top of the Outerwear Sections. Here is the link as you may get lost if you leave this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

FPKawaii

New in Town
Help me identify a peacoat?

I went to a thrift store today in search of a peacoat. I found three options:
1. An original US Navy peacoat with the liner crudely cut out.
2. A generic Chinese peacoat with all the buttons cut off
3. See below:

The third peacoat is what I need help with. The buttons resembled the US Navy buttons on coat one, but the patches on it said otherwise. On the left shoulder has what resembles a white Nazi eagle, along with a white bow knot sewn on. Underneath it is a red Private First Class patch for the US Army. I'm really not sure about the source of this coat, and if anyone could clear it up I would be very thankful.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Something like this?
PO3_NOGC.png

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I didn't see that you attached photographs of your "options." Another option might be, "none of the above."

If you have a photograph of the tag on #3, it would be most helpful.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't let the patches determine your research avenue. They probably were added after the coat left service by a civilian who thought they looked cool. Focus instead on the patch inside one of the pockets, interior or exterior, or on the inside tag just below the collar. Failing that, take a picture of the peacoat from the front that fills the frame of your camera, as well as a closeup of the lower sleeve (cuff area) of the peacoat. A photograph of the interior with the peacoat opened might be helpful as well.

And don't neglect the idea that it isn't military at all. The coat could well be a peacoat inspired fashion garment. Until you post photographs, there is no way of knowing.

FPKawaii

New in Town
I'll get a picture whenever I can. There are no tags or writing on the inside besides a tiny little white sizing patch that says 40r and has a long serial number. There is nothing special on the cuff area, just a plain sleeve with no buttons or anything on it.

Peacoat

Bartender
When there are no tags, I identify peacoats from pictures of the outside of the coat, the inside and the sleeve area. What may be ". . . nothing special on the cuff area . . . " to you, may tell me whether the coat is military, and, if so, the approximate year of the contract. The "sizing patch" also holds clues, such as its location on the coat, the size of the tag and exactly what is written on it. The lining, as well, gives me information as to the era of the peacoat. Thus, the request for photographs of these areas.

Peacoat

Bartender
If the tag at the neck, just below the collar on the inside, looked like the one below, then there was another tag inside one of the pockets, like the one below. It gives all the information needed about that particular peacoat. From your description, it sounds as if the tag on the one you saw is like the one below. If so, then there is no loss that it has been sold. That coat is a current issue peacoat, and there are thousands more like it available. For identifying a quality vintage peacoat, read the sticky toward the top of the page on peacoat dating.

B7b62bQmkKGrHqNlcEyjC1M2OBM0JnhOvEQ0_3.jpg

NECK TAG

B7b73HgB2kKGrHqJlEEyjCJDBM0Jqm0690_3.jpg

POCKET TAG

FPKawaii

New in Town
The neck tag matches and I didn't look inside the pocket. It was probably a current issue one that someone bastardized.

dep126

Familiar Face
I just picked up a great peacoat off the bay and was hoping someone might be able to help me nail down a date. I think its 60's vintage but not completely sure. It's got the double stitching 4" above the cuff, black corduroy pocket lining. The tag reads as follows:

COAT, MAN'S, WOOL KERSEY
DSA 100-4212
100% WOOL
SIZE 40
FSN 8405-268-8615

I'm thinking 1968 but not quite sure. The tag on my coat isn't on peacoat's thread at the top of the page. Is the black corduroy a rare find. I've only seen light brown. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
It is probably an early 1966 coat, maybe even late 1965, but certainly no later than late 1966. Definitely not 1968.

Yes, the black corduroy is rare. Looks cool, doesn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24