Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Question - Fedora Name and types?

The King of Cool

New in Town
I have noticed after watching classic movies from the 30-50's that there are TWO distinct fedoras that are worn by the gentleman.

1 - A wider brimmed fedora - normal worn more in the 30's to late 40's. You would usually see mobsters wear this one.

2 - A smaller brimmed fedora - usually flapped up in the back and down in the front. Not as short in height and the ones Sinatra wore, but close.

Can anyone help me decipher the actual names of each of these fedoras? :eusa_doh:

Interesting that your movie watching has led you to identify two types of fedoras. I think the more you look, the more types you will notice. Enjoy looking and reading - and welcome!

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In England we'd normally designate the short brimmed fedora with a turn down front and upturned rear as a 'Trilby', reserving 'Fedora' for wider brimmed hats, but there's no clear boundary between the two. Trilby isn't widely used in the US, where they'd normally be termed stingy brimmed fedoras.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
For myself, I prefer a wider brim fedora of no less than 2 5/8 inches to no more than 3 inches, (although I may consider a brim as wide as the one on the Akubra Bushman if I can see it on someone first). For a crown height, I would prefer mine to be 4 1/2 inches bashed, maybe 4 3/4 bashed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace