Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Edwards Sportswear D-pocket moto jacket

Gamma68

One Too Many
Some of you may remember my earlier thread about the moldy Excelled jacket, which I picked up off eBay and promptly returned. Since then, I've kept my eyes peeled for a better vintage jacket and just won an eBay auction for a Sears "The Leather Shop" D-pocket jacket.

The WPL number on the inner tag indicates it was made by Ralph Edwards Sportswear, which I take as a sign of quality. I believe it's steerhide, although the leather seems thicker on the sleeves than on the jacket body. It has interesting grain variation in different panels. I really like the corduroy along the inner waistband, behind the cigarette pocket flap and along the inner pocket opening.

Maybe someone can help me narrow down the date of this jacket. I've read that WPL numbers were issued through 1959, when they were replaced by the RN number. RES registered its trademark in Feb. 1956 (the company was previously known as Cagleco). I would guess that would place this jacket somewhere between 1956-59. However, other sites place this Sears tag in the late 1960s. Does that mean RES continued to use its WPL tags past 1959?

Photos and fit pics below (feedback welcome). I'm wearing it over a simple t-shirt, and think the fit will allow light layering.

Sears_1.JPG

Sears_2.JPG

Sears_3.JPG

Sears_4.JPG

Sears_5.JPG

Sears_6.JPG

Sears_7.JPG

Sears_8.JPG

Sears_9.JPG

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a great fit and a very nice example! The back on these jackets is my favorite configuration. Really flattering and just looks so cool!

I agree, I quite like that back.

Its interesting as a while ago I was trying to get Aero to essentially make a Half Belt with a mandarin collar to mimic the Flat Head Cafe Racer jacket (thats is now still stuck in customs!!) with this back.

16059282322_333629e4c3_z.jpg

Anyway at the time Carrie at Thurston said Aero wouldn't go for it and suggested a Cafe or Board Racer with a single pointed yoke and kidney panel with the action back would look similar.

I couldn't quite picture the finished product and I wasn't about to gamble that amount of money on something that "might" have looked like what I was after.

It would have ended up looking like this i guess....not a bad option and not too disimilar.

Sears_2.jpg 16059282322_333629e4c3_z.jpg

Back to your jacket.....looks like it was a good outcome to return the mouldy jacket and get this instead, nice score!

Attachments

• Sears_2.jpg
    Sears_2.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 268
The Sears D-pocket cross zip went thru a few revisions during its long run and this was the last one. No clue when this particular model first came into production and until how long but if I know anything about these jackets, I'd say this one is early 70's. This chunky Talon also wasn't used until late into the 60's and once re-introduced, it was everyone's choice for a utility leather jacket throughout the entire 70's.

And it fits you really well!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Very very nice! I also am a real fan of the back design of that jacket. Looks nearly too good to be vintage. Wear it well, it sure fits you well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21