Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Aero Brown CXL Steerhide Leather

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

I have noted that recently the brown chromexcel Steerhide leather from Aero is quite uniform in colour and tone and doesn't have much of a typical chromexcel pull-up effect to it... I mean not even if you pinch it do you see the colors migrate.. I am just wondering if Aero has changed the way they customize their CXL leather. Have they started to ask Horween to give them more uniform looking colors or with more top layer pigmentation? I guess I am really anxious about whether the pull effect of the CXL brown will ever show through with time and wear? Anyone with experience relating to this issue?

Thanks

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I would say that @ProteinNerd is probably spot on here. I have some CXL boots that were purchased not too long ago that seem like they are the same CXL as ever, though these aren't made of the same CXL as the jackets exactly.

Agree with PN. The CXL brown is a flagship hide. Just like the Cordo... those color variations are fundamental to the leather. I'd be looking for samples and asking questions if I didn't see that.
A bootlegger (yours?) and a j-106. Both fits were a bit off but that color had me keeping them longer than I should've.

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
yu.jpg
I actually did email Carrie and Aero. Both confirmed that it is the same CXL Brown. But seriously, this particular hide on my Aero jacket has no pull up whatsoever even when I aggressively pinch it to get that pull up to come through..

Last edited:

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I agree. That definitely does not look like any Brown CXL Steer I've seen (unless it's midweight steer ?). All have had pull-up / two tone coloring after you crease it. Some more than others, but that two/tone pull-up is what makes me love my brown CXL steer hide half-belt. I would try aggressively creasing / bending / wetting a small section of the hide and see if any color variation happens. Does the entire jacket look that way or just one panel?

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
I agree. That definitely does not look like any Brown CXL Steer I've seen (unless it's midweight steer ?). All have had pull-up / two tone coloring after you crease it. Some more than others, but that two/tone pull-up is what makes me love my brown CXL steer hide half-belt. I would try aggressively creasing / bending / wetting a small section of the hide and see if any color variation happens. Does the entire jacket look that way or just one panel?

I tried aggressively creasing and bending all sections of the jacket but everywhere its the same thing ..... no pull up at all !! Its almost like the monotonous uniform colour of Lost worlds brown leather ... nothing against LW but just trying to provide a visual parallel ..

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That does look exceedingly dull. I would say that your Lost Worlds comparison is pretty darn accurate.

I'm not a big CXL fan on jackets, but I've seen brand new ones that have more character than that. I would probably ask for a new jacket if I were you. I've seen some brilliantly aged CXL jackets and it doesn't look like that hide would get there and that would be a shame.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
This is an Aero 30's HB in heavy brown steerhide for comparison.This is as it came of course but it is a seriously gorgeous hide.I don't have any close-up pictures but the hide is very malleable and shows a lighter shade when handled despite being immensely tough

Attachments

• Heavy steerhide.jpg
    Heavy steerhide.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner