Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Outdoors Hat

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Unlined, with the grommet vents. For my purposes, I can't imagine a better spec. Stiff and thick enough to shed rain, wide enough to provide some shade, durable and no need to baby it. I wear it summer and winter and find it comfortable. An added benefit to me...I can stop on the way home from the north Georgia mountains on a Sunday evening, step into a decent establishment and not look like a wild man (at least when it comes to the hat).

Duper

Practically Family
The Tablelands is a hat we don't read as much about. Very nice looking. Does it come lined or unlined?
It is in Akubra top seller back in Oz. I have been wearing mine for the last couple of days since this thread revived my interest. It is an nice colour. I tend to wear it with the back snapped up so it has more of a fedora look.

iamasmith

New in Town
Another fan of Akubra...my Tablelands in brown olive has seen everything from downpours while pheasant hunting in South Dakota to humid summer hikes in the American South to trout fishing on the Chattahoochee. It takes it all in stride and looks about as good as it did when it arrived 3 or 4 years ago...little late to the party but can't pass up an opportunity to brag on my favorite outdoor hat

Great picture, it's been a busy year and I haven't been able to make time to get out fishing. Standing in the river with a nice young Brown Trout taken on a beautiful day... it doesn't get much better than that :eusa_clap

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Hi Hoyt, here is the link. http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=64

If you pop over to the Outerwear section of The Lounge you should find some more info there on Drizabone's or other slicker style coats. I know I asked a few questions there before I made the purchase.
Thanks for the direction Duper, wife says it can be my Christmas present. Is your coat the antique colour?

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks for the direction Duper, wife says it can be my Christmas present. Is your coat the antique colour?

Hi Hoyt, it is the antique. It certainly is a robust jacket. I do wish it was just a couple of inches longer, closer to my knees in length. I'm 6 feet tall, just under 175 lbs and the medium did me fine. Sam at EA took good care of me and you can bounce any sizing questions off him. David Morgan carries Drizabone as well and I'm sure they would be extremely helpful as well.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Hi Hoyt, it is the antique. It certainly is a robust jacket. I do wish it was just a couple of inches longer, closer to my knees in length. I'm 6 feet tall, just under 175 lbs and the medium did me fine. Sam at EA took good care of me and you can bounce any sizing questions off him. David Morgan carries Drizabone as well and I'm sure they would be extremely helpful as well.
Thanks again for the info Duper,you have been so helpful.I was wondering about the length issue myself.I may go with the full length coat and wool liner. I intend to carry the coat in my truck,to slip on and off in messy weather,easier than coveralls.It should give better leg prtection.
To get this thread back on the topic of outdoor fedoras, I will put in a few words on my Stetson Bear Creek.
I have worn it every day since September, and it has gotten thoroughly soaked almost every other day.It has been white with soybean dust so many times,and after a few minutes with a brush looks great.
The edge of the brim is a bit wavy in a couple spots, but it is nice and soft. Other than that it is holding up well.The fit has sized down niceley, and on very windy days I can pull it down snug and it will stay put on my head.
I still don't like the leather hatband that came with it, although it certainly takes the dirt better than a ribbon.
Someday I will replace it (the leather band),with somthing a little nicer,but all in all it is a good comfortable work hat.

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks again for the info Duper,you have been so helpful.I was wondering about the length issue myself.I may go with the full length coat and wool liner. I intend to carry the coat in my truck,to slip on and off in messy weather,easier than coveralls.It should give better leg prtection.
To get this thread back on the topic of outdoor fedoras, I will put in a few words on my Stetson Bear Creek.
I have worn it every day since September, and it has gotten thoroughly soaked almost every other day.It has been white with soybean dust so many times,and after a few minutes with a brush looks great.
The edge of the brim is a bit wavy in a couple spots, but it is nice and soft. Other than that it is holding up well.The fit has sized down niceley, and on very windy days I can pull it down snug and it will stay put on my head.
I still don't like the leather hatband that came with it, although it certainly takes the dirt better than a ribbon.
Someday I will replace it (the leather band),with somthing a little nicer,but all in all it is a good comfortable work hat.

Same for me on the Bear Creek hat band. I swapped it out for another leather hat band of the same width. The original looked to me like they just hadn't finished the hatband. Poor colour choice in the least.

Quickly back to the coat, sounds like you have a real use for a hard wearing jacket. You could get a longer one shortened if you had to. Keep all that extra material away from any running machinery.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Same for me on the Bear Creek hat band. I swapped it out for another leather hat band of the same width. The original looked to me like they just hadn't finished the hatband. Poor colour choice in the least.

Quickly back to the coat, sounds like you have a real use for a hard wearing jacket. You could get a longer one shortened if you had to. Keep all that extra material away from any running machinery.
I think the band on my hat looks like a big sealer from a quart jar. I should have just bought the regular Chatham.
Oh well, not that big of a problem.
As for the coat, I do a lot of work where I am in and out of my truck for 15-30 minutes, quite often in crappy weather.I am tired of plastic rain gear,and I think those coats look like the answer.And you are right about the machinery!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Today I gave the leather band on my Stetson a couple of good rubdowns with mink oil.Made a big difference.The mink oil darkened up the band just enough and it actually looks pretty good!

I hope you removed the hat band prior to giving it "... a couple of good rubdowns with mink oil." as the oil will soak into the leather and can transfer to the felt. Oil based conditioners are great for leather but not so nice for felt :) They can stain.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I hope you removed the hat band prior to giving it "... a couple of good rubdowns with mink oil." as the oil will soak into the leather and can transfer to the felt. Oil based conditioners are great for leather but not so nice for felt :) They can stain.

I had thought about that very thing before I began,and if this hat was not my designated, abuse taking,get it filthy-brush it off work hat I would have taken a few minutes and removed the band.The mink oil is more like a salve,and I was able to carefully apply it to the face of the band. I used it sparingly,and worked it in.Then I buffed off with a soft cloth,and repeated the procedure a few hours later. The Tawny Fawn felt of this hat is pretty good at not showing dirt or stains, but you are right, and on a hat where staining is a concern, removing the band is the thing to do.

iamasmith

New in Town
I swear I'll escape this thread at some point, I noticed an English Suit thread so I'll have to post a pic of my Black 100 Worsted Bespoke Chester Barry (Savile Row) suit etc.

Anyway, just to report I'm loving this hat, it's warm, handles the rain well and has attracted many positive comments.

One thing that I'm still getting to grips with though is wearing a hat that sits so high after wearing lots of Tilleys and the Barmah Squashy - particularly nervous of high winds :p. I also thought of adding a pinch at the fore but I guess that means really getting a different hat that has an even higher crown to accommodate it... sorry this is all rumination really since I'm watching Vertigo again at the moment and love the style of Jimmy's fedora on that (I saw some archive stuff here on a search so I might have to dig in to find more about that particular one).

Anyway, thanks again for a great starter on Felt hats :)

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Hmmm, could you use a little saddle soap on a leather sweat band that's starting to shed bits and pieces? That would save my trying to find someone closer than Burbank who could replace it and it would cost a whole lot less!

Highlander

A-List Customer
Best Rainproof Fedora/Adventure hat

I looking at two hats, the Indiana Jones 444_1_brown.jpg and the Tracker 631.jpg both from www.adventurehat.com. I think I like the later hat as it has the wider brim and would be a little better protection...

Any thoughts? Any better hats out there??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner