Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Outdoors Hat

rogerstg

A-List Customer
One of the hat stiffener brands suggests rubbing a rag saturated with alcohol (at least 190 proof [95%]) on the stiff area. It's trial and error until you get the desired results after drying. Any type of alcohol should work, and I'd use denatured from the hardware store.

I have not tried it yet, but based on my other activities, it should work. Hat stiffener is basically shellac. While water softens shellac until it dries, alcohol dissolves it. I've also noticed that alcohol used to clean a spot on a brim softened the brim in that area.

One of the hat stiffener brands suggests rubbing a rag saturated with alcohol (at least 190 proof [95%]) on the stiff area. It's trial and error until you get the desired results after drying. Any type of alcohol should work, and I'd use denatured from the hardware store.

I have not tried it yet, but based on my other activities, it should work. Hat stiffener is basically shellac. While water softens shellac until it dries, alcohol dissolves it. I've also noticed that alcohol used to clean a spot on a brim softened the brim in that area.
Thank you! I'm not sure I'll ever need to use this information, but you never know. ;)

Reactions: RJR

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
My personal experience with Akubra hats is limited to my Coober Pedy.

i-XFbnF24-L.jpg

For the money, I prefer the well used Stratton western I picked up on ebay, and had Mike Miller at NW Hats clean it up, block it to fit my head, replace the sweat and hat band, clean up the hacked on, uneven brim, and trimmed it to an even 3". It has the heavier western felt and Mike put in a shallow teardrop crease with medium front pinch and small side dents, and an outback style brim front and back.

Before:

i-r3nh58J-L.jpg

After:

i-cvkr9kt-L.jpg

It's been water soaked several times, including this afternoon when MrsFed and I went shopping and got caught in the rain and wind about 4 times. It always dries out and looks perfect, fits perfect.

i-2kBVzR2-L.jpg

This is the last real soaking I got in my Penman Everyman Indy hat. Same story as above, let it dry, brush it off and put it away... looks just as great after the rain as it did before.

i-fC7Xkk6-L.jpg

My personal experience with Akubra hats is limited to my Coober Pedy.

i-XFbnF24-L.jpg

For the money, I prefer the well used Stratton western I picked up on ebay, and had Mike Miller at NW Hats clean it up, block it to fit my head, replace the sweat and hat band, clean up the hacked on, uneven brim, and trimmed it to an even 3". It has the heavier western felt and Mike put in a shallow teardrop crease with medium front pinch and small side dents, and an outback style brim front and back.

Before:

i-r3nh58J-L.jpg

After:

i-cvkr9kt-L.jpg

It's been water soaked several times, including this afternoon when MrsFed and I went shopping and got caught in the rain and wind about 4 times. It always dries out and looks perfect, fits perfect.

i-2kBVzR2-L.jpg

This is the last real soaking I got in my Penman Everyman Indy hat. Same story as above, let it dry, brush it off and put it away... looks just as great after the rain as it did before.

i-fC7Xkk6-L.jpg
I have liked seeing this conversion by Mike. You have almost converted me to this style. Don't know if I would go Akubra, I would prefer something like yours instead.

txdog

New in Town
I'm looking for a good hat for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. This will not be a dress hat. I have always liked a diamond or teardrop crease on a sort of western brim, raw edge, with a satin ribbon. Something like a Gun Club style like this:

https://www.bestmadeco.com/products/the-stetson-yukon-hat-for-best-made?taxon_id=1164

I was leaning towards an Akubra banjo patterson and reshaping it myself, or getting a CD and seeing if I can live with the bound edge. My local hat store can make me a custom hat that I know the fit and quality will be good but it's about 3-6x the cost of an Akubra depending what quality and color I get. I'm worried about an Akubra not fitting my long oval head and not liking the brim width. My custom western felts are 4.25" brims, I was thinking of something around 3" for this hat. Any suggestions? Thanks.

RJR

I'm looking for a good hat for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. This will not be a dress hat. I have always liked a diamond or teardrop crease on a sort of western brim, raw edge, with a satin ribbon. Something like a Gun Club style like this:

https://www.bestmadeco.com/products/the-stetson-yukon-hat-for-best-made?taxon_id=1164

I was leaning towards an Akubra banjo patterson and reshaping it myself, or getting a CD and seeing if I can live with the bound edge. My local hat store can make me a custom hat that I know the fit and quality will be good but it's about 3-6x the cost of an Akubra depending what quality and color I get. I'm worried about an Akubra not fitting my long oval head and not liking the brim width. My custom western felts are 4.25" brims, I was thinking of something around 3" for this hat. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sounds like you want an Akubra FED IV.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family

txdog

New in Town
I've about decided I will have this hat blocked, trimmed, and recreased. It's a 20x custom hat I had made several years ago with a level gus crease. It doesn't get a lot of head time but I like the quality and fit. I'd have to change the hatband out to a small leather band or ribbon. Thoughts?

s4uIjbk.jpg

OQiGnOT.jpg

DpOsxxq.jpg

jlw

One of the Regulars
I'm a long oval as well and have trouble finding hats that will fit other than custom.

I bought one of the Akubra Travellers and like it. It stays in the truck in a hat saver, and if it gets messed up, I'm not out nearly the amount of money I would be if one of my custom hats was ruined. The sweatband is pliable and will shape to my head.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
In truth, I would give the Woomera a try. By the time you change out the band and do all of the other work, your price will be about the same, but you would have a new hat of good quality. Not sure if Sam still does the long oval treatment, but this took a couple of weeks and worked pretty well.

Fed

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another option is to keep an eye on ebay for an older Akubra Snowy river. Back in the day they came with a ribbon rather then the Braided leather band. Tear drop Crown with 3 1/4" brim would suit your requirements nicely. For some reason Snowy river seems to go for cheaper used than other models.
Johnny

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
I just retired my Banjo Paterson after 3+ years of straight wear. We did everything together - camped, hiked, climbed, hung out in jazz clubs. It’s a very versatile choice: both rugged and handsome.

I decided not to go with another Banjo but rather a higher-crown replacement so I could have fun with various dents - the crown of the Banjo is just soooo low (though it will definitely do the Stetson bash in the link you provided). However, I don’t think the Federation IV (which I chose as the replacement) is as versatile and I don’t feel as much sun protection underneath it’s dimensional brim. As of today, my ideal outdoors hat would have a 2.75 inch brim like the Banjo but a 6 inch crown that I can really bash the heck out of.

Here’s one of the last photos of the BP in everyday life, this one with a telescope crown. I retired him soon after this.

8829CA4C-6D46-4153-9928-FD8B8A03EBC4.jpeg

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
hi gang
the wife and i discovered kayaking this fall and i was wondering how many of us kayak and what hat do you wear?
i wore my akubra cattleman

Fourman110

One of the Regulars
985D1B6C-99AD-4BEB-9D00-1AD7FAC2C2E0.jpeg
I love wearing a Shelta Seahawk but I’m not really styling with it. Great boonie style hat with a rigid front for the brim so it doesn’t flop around. Lightweight, quick drying, cool, decent sun protection, includes a chinstrap and a tightening mechanism so it can be tightened on a windy day. Best of all for kayaking.... it floats.

Last edited:
I no longer kayak but I canoe. And I no longer canoe whitewater, I paddle calm water looking for arrowheads & artifacts. I have some places that can only be accessed by water.

Early in my kayaking time I would just wear a boonie or a bucket hat that I could soak & stay cool wearing. If I was doing it again I might chose a slouch with a stampede string.

Since I no longer worry about getting wet I sometimes wear an Akubra Cattleman or my Coober Pedy. I have worn my Thoroughbred 10X. In really hot weather I mostly wear a big Sunbody Guatemalan Palm leaf that I can dunk in the river or creek & keep cool.

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_8140.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

My main canoe is a Kevlar. I have a cedar strip too & last winter I fully stripped & restored this 1928 Old Town canvas canoe. I have two more canvas canoes waiting my restoration.

IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6916.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko