Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation for Outdoors Hat

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Horsehair stampede strings can be scratchy against your face until they are well worn in....
Some never quit being scratch!

Good to know! I'm looking to add some stampede strings to my Resistol Cogburn (when I get it, that is...). Guess I'll look for leather. Thanks for the tip!

davesays

New in Town
It sounds redonkulous but I don't want just a straight-up fedora, just something looser that doesn't look stiff but keeps off the rain and wind pretty good, and this is the closest I could think of. I'm not interested in putting fishing gear in it though, but I might not mind it.

I've looked in local stores and online (I'm too embarassed to asked around since hardly anyone I know wears anything like a fedora) but I'm not sure what they're called; I've seen them, and the closest I could find is Christy's felt hats. Even those aren't quite close enough, so can you recommend what I should look for?

DesertDan

One Too Many
Would definitely second the Tilley, I think they are probably some of the best modern "outdoorsmen" type hats.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tilley is a great option
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/tilley-travels.62631/
I have had mine for years, fantastic camping, traveling, outdoors hat.

If you are looking for something made of felt, the Akubra Banjo Patterson is a good option.

One style I will recommend but most here will say its a fedora is the Akubra campdraft. The only reason I mention it is when I was in Yellowknife I saw a man fishing off the pontoon of his sea plane wearing heavy work boots, worn dark jeans and a plaid button up shirt and a diamond crease "open road" hat. Something about the look just seemed right. Northern, woodsman, fishing. The thought just stuck in my head "that guy is just doing it right." Unfortunately no pictures.
Johnny

Duper

Practically Family
I think a Tilley would do a great job. Lots of styles and brim widths and fabrics to choose from. Also not made in China.

If you want a felt hat that can take some abuse you could look at the Akubra Traveller. It comes in multiple colours. It is unlined and the sweat is a fabric rather than leather.

If you wanted something a bit more refined there is the Akubra Leisure Time. it is very much like the Banjo Paterson Johnnycanuck suggested , but less expensive as it is their regular grade of felt.

,,,Mike in Canada

RJR

I think a Tilley would do a great job. Lots of styles and brim widths and fabrics to choose from. Also not made in China.

If you want a felt hat that can take some abuse you could look at the Akubra Traveller. It comes in multiple colours. It is unlined and the sweat is a fabric rather than leather.

If you wanted something a bit more refined there is the Akubra Leisure Time. it is very much like the Banjo Paterson Johnnycanuck suggested , but less expensive as it is their regular grade of felt.

,,,Mike in Canada
Have to second this advice.

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Can someone recommend a brimmed hat that can actually be used in inclement conditions? I want something to keep me in the shade when its sunny and dry when its raining that will stand up to some proper use. I need it for fishing, walking and canoeing.

Although I do use a gas mask bag for fishing, I'm not especially looking for an indy look :)

Thanks.

Inclement conditions... any felt Akubra. My preferred ones are the Coober Pedy and the Territory. The Coober Pedy would probably be more suited to the UK though as the Territory is a serious hot weather hat.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Inclement conditions... any felt Akubra. My preferred ones are the Coober Pedy and the Territory. The Coober Pedy would probably be more suited to the UK though as the Territory is a serious hot weather hat.

The Territory does fine in hot weather, but that enormous brim is also fantastic during rain and snow. In fact, it's my go-to yard work hat in the heat, the rain, and the snow; the heat dissipates off it nicely in the spring and summer, but in the autumn and winter, it holds enough heat in to make you comfortable.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Downside to the Akubra Territory.
1.Very thick and heavy.
2.Quite a low crown which leaves nowhere for the hot air inside to go.
The two above factors make it rather hot in warmer weather.
3.Unusually large vent holes, four in all, two on each side.
This compensates somewhat for 1 and 2 above, but it also means you can expect to get splashed a fair bit inside during a heavy rain.

I speak from personal experience regarding all of the above.

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Can someone recommend a brimmed hat that can actually be used in inclement conditions? I want something to keep me in the shade when its sunny and dry when its raining that will stand up to some proper use. I need it for fishing, walking and canoeing.

Although I do use a gas mask bag for fishing, I'm not especially looking for an indy look :)

Thanks.
Take a look at the SunBody Guatemalan palm hats. Durable and water is their friend.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Take a look at the SunBody Guatemalan palm hats. Durable and water is their friend.

Water doesn't hurt Sunbody hats but they are not waterproof. They will soak through and you will get your head wet unless its just a light drizzle or you're outside only a short time.
Sunbodys are also quite heavy compared to other straw hats, with the "fine" ones being considerably heavier than the "standard" ones.
I speak from personal experience here, as I own six Sunbody hats, both fine and standard ones.

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
My go to cool weather rain hat is my Tilley or my old Stetson Gun Club.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453899632.405457.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453899734.254771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foamy

A-List Customer
Hm. Fishing, walking and canoeing.

If there's a chance of it going swimming: Tilley. It's what I've been wearing sailing the last couple of years. Chin strap to keep it on in a breeze. Plenty of brim for rain and shade from sun, it floats and you can do anything you want to it. Mash it flat, roll it up, cram it in a pocket or pack, have a wrestling match on it—doesn't matter. You can wash it. White and light colors make more sense on the water as they stay cooler. Wet the hat and you're cooler still.

Akubra's are great hats (I own a couple), they're tough and are all of the things folks say they are, but I won't take one on a boat with me. A fur felt hat has no business on a boat. Hiking, walking, farming, working, anything ashore and they're great—and much more stylish.

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
Hm. Fishing, walking and canoeing.

If there's a chance of it going swimming: Tilley. It's what I've been wearing sailing the last couple of years. Chin strap to keep it on in a breeze. Plenty of brim for rain and shade from sun, it floats and you can do anything you want to it. Mash it flat, roll it up, cram it in a pocket or pack, have a wrestling match on it—doesn't matter. You can wash it. White and light colors make more sense on the water as they stay cooler. Wet the hat and you're cooler still.

Akubra's are great hats (I own a couple), they're tough and are all of the things folks say they are, but I won't take one on a boat with me. A fur felt hat has no business on a boat. Hiking, walking, farming, working, anything ashore and they're great—and much more stylish.

I echo these remarks. I own 17 Akubras, several custom felts, and a few vintage fedoras. I am also an avid (sea) kayaker and would never consider wearing a felt hat while paddling. I have a Tilley and a few Outdoor Research Sombreros (all with chin straps) for the water/inclement weather activities.

Fedster

Familiar Face
As by subject. I would like a reasonably robust hat to be worn outdoor, of rabbit (or better!) felt, that is soft. I have an Akubra Banjo Patterson, which I love, but I would consider it way too stiff in terns of softness... I'm after something far more pliable, though not wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points