Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing pecard from a leather jacket?

knowledgeandstyle

New in Town
I added a bit of pecard onto a scuff mark on my leather jacket. Maybe I added too much, but it's left a shiny spot which is unfortunately somewhat noticeable. Should I wait over night and hopefully it'll soak in? or is there a way to remove excess pecard? Thanks

Novos

One of the Regulars
If I do any conditioning I generally conditiont the ENTIRE jacket in Pecards. Try dabbing it with a soft cloth?

Forrest

Familiar Face
Yeah, that stuff is meant for entire conditioning of the jacket. Anyway, just buff it out. It will be shiny for few days or so but will dull out with time. Pecards has a wax in it that shines a bit, but it wears off. No harm done.

I used Lexol on a jacket that I'd over-Pecarded, and it removed a lot of the excess...but again I used it on the whole thing.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
In the past (to remove a previous owner's over zealous use of Pecards on an A-1) I used a ball of cotton wool soaked in 40-60 petroleum spirit - not to be done at home folks...
I've also found that a medium weight alkane (e.g. hexane or heptane) will do the trick (as all are relatively non polar) - they're all low boiling so evaporate quickly. Avoid acetone as it'll be too polar.
I swabbed the whole jacket and it work extremely well.

Peacoat

Bartender
As a long time user of Pecard, I have found the substance soaks in overnight. What is left after 24 hours or so can be rubbed off. It won't be shiny for too long. Nothing major to worry about.

knowledgeandstyle

New in Town
Hmm so it's been a few days and there's still this mark where I applied the pecard. It's like this white mark, no longer shiny (jacket is black). I think it's residue but it almost looks like it's discolored the jacket, although I've never heard of dressing lightening a jacket

Forrest

Familiar Face
Weird. When folks put way too much Pecards on leather, it can form white spots or residue. But, it doesn't sound like that's what happened. I don't know what to tell you. Had the scuff mark taken off some of the original finish? Pecards makes a black version of their product. Maybe you could use that? Not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner