Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rising Sun Jacket

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a jacket I'm looking at for the warmer weather in the UK(!!)

Old denim jacket style, but in a canvas that goes well with jeans and avoids the denim+denim look.

risingsunclothing562gra.jpg

Craftsman made in Pasadena, CA., so no silly Japanese telephone number pricing.:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
I like Filson Levi's Oil Finish Trucker Jacket that comes in mid brown or black. If you google, there are lots of images to be found. If you buy, keep in mind that this model fits small and will need to order a size bigger than you would normally. Their XL fits similar to a 42 long.

http://www.filson.com/products/oil-...sProduct=mens/coats-jackets&fmetaProduct=1011

Hi Fanch.

Thanks for the link. I'm wanting something a little more vintage, otherwise the Filson would have done the job.

Even though I love side pockets in my Aero's, I try to avoid them in Denim/Jean Jackets. Which is daft, I know, but that's just me:eeek:;)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Thinking about the pockets... I think I might like this jacket more if it had only the one left side pocket, similar to the cowboy jacket that was posted recently..

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.... just had to chime in. I have the Levi's x Filson and the whole 'it fits small' thing you'll read on the website is untrue. That's for if you want a modern day fairly loose fit. For a classic Denim jacket fit order true to size. I made this exact mistake after reading their website and ordered a large. It's going back tomorrow for a medium. The arms are very long, although the cuffs are lined in moleskin and can be buttoned when folded back so that's not a problem.

Great jacket, mind you.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Interesting placement on the pockets.

That's pretty much where Levi's put theirs until the introduction of the Type 3 jacket in 1962.

Here's a Type 2 from 1953:

lvc1953typeiidenimjacke.jpg

Remove one pocket, and you have a Levi's Type 1.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi Fanch.

Thanks for the link. I'm wanting something a little more vintage, otherwise the Filson would have done the job.

Even though I love side pockets in my Aero's, I try to avoid them in Denim/Jean Jackets. Which is daft, I know, but that's just me:eeek:;)

Major, no side pockets is daft. What will you do with your hands without them? :loco: When I wear jackets without side pockets I have to sit on mine.:D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Major all kidding aside, the picture of the Type 2 from 1953 looks pretty good. Maybe you will be able to kind something similar in khaki in the UK.

majormajor

One Too Many
Major, no side pockets is daft. What will you do with your hands without them? :loco: When I wear jackets without side pockets I have to sit on mine.:D

You are dead right, Fanch. I know it's daft, but I guess Cowboys didn't put their hands in their jacket pockets!

Here is THE classic Cowboy Jacket that beats ALL others - the Lee 101J - with NO side pockets:

lee101new.jpg

For 40 years they made it without side pockets, and then they ruined a classic by adding them!:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
Major all kidding aside, the picture of the Type 2 from 1953 looks pretty good. Maybe you will be able to kind something similar in khaki in the UK.

I like to get US items if I can. I regularly scan the net for vintage finds. Other than the big three (Levi, Lee, Wrangler), very few were sold in the UK, so they hold a fascination for me. Well, that's my excuse anyway:eeek:;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster.... just had to chime in. I have the Levi's x Filson and the whole 'it fits small' thing you'll read on the website is untrue. That's for if you want a modern day fairly loose fit. For a classic Denim jacket fit order true to size. I made this exact mistake after reading their website and ordered a large. It's going back tomorrow for a medium. The arms are very long, although the cuffs are lined in moleskin and can be buttoned when folded back so that's not a problem.

Great jacket, mind you.

I suppose there is conflicting information regarding sizing on the Filson Levi Trucker jacket. I will say though that the XL that I have is by no means a loose fit. Mine does have long arms, which is great since I have very long arms and normally wear a 16X37 shirt, although I wish the body length were an inch or two shorter. As a point of reference, I am almost 6'2" and 180-185 lbs, and have a 42" chest and 37" waist.

2012-10-06094308.jpg

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
With respect Fanch, while that's not a loose fit it's not the trimmest ever either. I think you're right about the jacket being cut a bit long in the body, not yours in particular but the cut of the jacket in general. Mine was the same way and I hope the size down is going to be different. Might end up being tight in the shoulders then though, which is my personal bane.

Having said all this I reckon you wear it well, I don't mean to disparage by any means.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
Here's a jacket I'm looking at for the warmer weather in the UK(!!)

Old denim jacket style, but in a canvas that goes well with jeans and avoids the denim+denim look.

risingsunclothing562gra.jpg

Craftsman made in Pasadena, CA., so no silly Japanese telephone number pricing.:D;)
That's a fine jacket.
You could also go for the new LVC pleated blouse that should soon become available.
There are a number of pics on denimbro like this
8469182728_c005342e76_b.jpg

But that might be nearly double the price of the RS one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner