SB Lavant Clayton veg tan vintage brown HH & Harris Tweed

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by 58panheadfan, Apr 29, 2019.

1. 58panheadfan

58panheadfan A-List Customer

I know, there is not much SB love here, but the leather and workmanship itself is gorgeous: Simmons Bilt Lavant, Clayton veg tan vintage brown HH, Harris tweed lining.

With this post, I only want to document the beauty of the Clayton leather and bring it closer to the interested party. Please leave in this thread the comments SB vs. Aero, thank you!

Indoor pics:

SB Lavant Front-01.JPG SB Lavant Back-01.JPG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    navetsea, Guppy, Pdawg and 7 others like this.
  2. Robbie79

Robbie79 Practically Family

Looks really good and similar to Aero's oil pull HH and perhaps a little bit like Aero's battered HH....do you have fit pics and closer pics of the Clayton hide? How does it age, have you worn it a lot? Is it pliable, soft or more rigid?

3. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

That is very cool.

4. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

5. 58panheadfan

Just a quick review:

Thank you for your kind words, In fact, the jacket or the leather (clayton vintage brown HH), the lining (Harris Tweed) and the workmanship are outstanding. I have bought the jacket here in Switzerland recently and wore it 4 times since. I am 180cm (5'11") tall and currently weight 85 kgs (187 lbs) athletic built. Jacket is labelled as a size 38". The measurements are as follow: pit/pit on front 57 cm (22.5"), shoulder seam to seam on back 48 cm (19"), neck seam to bottom 75cm (29.5"), sleeve straight 65 cm (25.5") and bottom opening is 52 cm (20.5").

Overall the Jacket fits me on the tighter side, which I like. Just wearing a shirt or lighterweight sweater underneath. It is definitely not an overcoat & I am not able to layering a heavy sweather or jeans jacket e.g. I always felt, when this jacket/coat is cutted as it was originally meant for (carcoat, overcoat) it looks like a tent ;) but of course, the trimmer cut is more a actual/modern thing...

As usual SB Jackets are cut generally a bit more on the trimmer side from my experience. Bottom opening is ok for me but is spread a bit by walking, when lowest button is closed. I like how wrinkles will develop with a trimmer bottom opening, but I also understand it is not everyone's taste. Same on wider collar/lapel, which I like but same here, not everyone's thing. Btw, I am a 34" waist in most japanese denim. The leather itself has a warm and waxy haptics and looks like a vintage jacket from first day... here are some fit pics on request:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Pdawg and samo like this.
  6. 58panheadfan

Jacket looks a bit pale & plane due the indoor light. Outdoor pictures below are more accurate :)

SB Lavant Front open.JPG SB Lavant Front closed.JPG SB Lavant Back-02.JPG SB Lavant Side.JPG

7. 58panheadfan

Outdoor & detail pics, cloudy conditions:

IMG_3071[1].jpg IMG_3080[1].jpg IMG_3074[1].jpg IMG_3075[1].jpg IMG_3076[1].jpg IMG_3077[1].jpg

Some more picture can be found on my insta profile...

8. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

My God that collar!!! it's beautiful!

9. 58panheadfan

Thread updated, all your questions should be answered now ;)

10. 58panheadfan

11. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

Upon reading it again it sounds like it might still be trading under a different name. I hope it does honestly but it seems like they are struggling to stay profitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. 58panheadfan

It would be a shame if a company with 178 years of history is doomed :(.

13. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Not a fan of this sort of leather, tbh. Too faux worn for my taste. I'm sure it's fine but it's just not my look.

14. Robbie79

Robbie79 Practically Family

In my opinion it looks very good but for sure the vintage/ worn look is not everyone's cup of tea like so many things. Enjoy wearing it!

15. 58panheadfan

Of course everyone has his own opinion and taste. For me, I appreciate this leather very much, because it lives through the color nuances and gets more beautiful with time...

navetsea and Thuggee like this.
  16. Pdawg

Pdawg One of the Regulars

I prefer the coat unbuttoned in the trimmer fit. The regular clayton horsehide is fantastic. I like the variegation in this hide. Coat looks great man!

17. 58panheadfan

After wearing the jacket during a rainy day, it has developed a completely new look. I really appreciate this pull up leather, after each wear you have the feeling to own a different jacket:

HXLZ9227 - Kopie.JPG

willyto, rolf s, Mich486 and 8 others like this.
  18. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda New in Town

This is still wet right? Or did it get a lot of sun after the soaking rain? Very nice patina!

19. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

wow the last picture leather looks incredible

20. 58panheadfan

After the jacket was wet, the leather became dull, so I brushed it... pull up leather as some self-polishing vein. Also it darkened im some areas significant.