Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Asset

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
nubuck is not fullgrain as the surface is sanded completely off, I don't know how to treat or care for this kind of leather when it get dirty I'm afraid suede brush would make the nubuck develops hairy patch, other liquid conditioner would get absorbed immediately and unevenly... few years back I had a shoe made from this type of leather I don't know what to be done with it after it looked dirty.

Last edited:

Hh121

Banned
6e2eb42674dda0d614bd03389295bea4.jpeg
1cdb64c533ca1cc217af9a9c582a7a1c.jpeg
ba3a36af1c3666a52b48fd9b92dd67fd.jpeg

Looks very delicious

Hh121

Banned
nubuck is not fullgrain as the surface is sanded completely off, I don't know how to treat or care for this kind of leather when it get dirty I'm afraid suede brush would make the nubuck develops hairy patch, other liquid conditioner would get absorbed immediately and unevenly... few years back I had a shoe made from this type of leather I don't know what to be done with it after it looked dirty.

Of course, my question is if it's like suede which gets dirty very easy, then it doesn't make any sense since its been advertised as heavy duty motorcycle jacket, name "storm"

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Of course, my question is if it's like suede which gets dirty very easy, then it doesn't make any sense since its been advertised as heavy duty motorcycle jacket, name "storm"
to me it's more like it doesn't matter much when it get dirty because it already look 'dirty' from the factory.
maybe the oil or wax works like waxed canvass giving it more water resistance, overtime need to be reapplied but on the same time turning you into a potential human candle, dunno if it would catch on fire if a spark falls on it due to all the wax and oil.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
to me it's more like it doesn't matter much when it get dirty because it already look 'dirty' from the factory.
maybe the oil or wax works like waxed canvass giving it more water resistance, overtime need to be reapplied but on the same time turning you into a potential human candle, dunno if it would catch on fire if a spark falls on it due to all the wax and oil.
Haven't heard of any spontaneous combustion leather jacket wearers. Maybe a new thread?. But what the heck to I know!
It's not dirt, It's "Patina". :)

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Some one start a thread on treating leather, dying leather, cleaning leather, aging and/or breaking in leather, restoring leather, darkening leather, antiquing leather, different products, weird origami techniques, taking a shower with your jacket on, and on, and on.
It needs to be put in one place. I have been threatening to do so, but can't come up with a thread name that is not as long as this rant.
I really like my NOS "Blondy" Schott Trucker that I picked up pretty cheap. You have all probably seen my posts where I described black dye left over on my hands transferring onto this raw jacket. My favorite part of the adventure with this is not really sure how It will end up looking but that is part of the fun. And it will change with age, or if I get bored and try another Frankenjackt project as I did with that NOS, but really boring Gap fiasco that I recently took on.
Peace.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Jackets ARE life!

I remember when I was in sixth grade, walking to school one frosty morning, freezing and shivering, and only wearing a thin sweater, because I didn't even own a jacket. I told my Mom and Dad about it at dinner that night. After dinner, my Dad took me to a men's clothing store and helped me pick out a warm wool jacket with knit collar and cuffs. I absolutely loved that jacket, but what I never forget, for the rest of my life, was the one-on-one time with my Dad... in a men's shop. It was a bit of a rite of passage for me, a little male bonding. And it was special because my Dad worked long hours, and I had precious little one-on-one time with him. I have had an emotional and irrational love of jackets ever since that night.

Did you move the Aero cordovan cafe on?
I have similar memories of mom buying me an Army/Navy surplus pea coat to get me through the cold NYC winter. It din't. Have no idea what vintage it was, but pretty sure it was Govt. contract issue. It wasn't warm enough, that is all I remember. Brrrr.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Plenty of people are still buying the Schott too, I imagine! Thing is, though, that Schott prices have been shooting up in recent years - at least, they have here in the UK. A 618 at £350 was a great deal. Now they're more or less the same price as an Aero in some places, well.... Schott in general here in the UK in my experience are now pretty much the same price as Vanson; I've always been more impressed with the Vanson quality.

Some markets do seem to attach a premium to intangible features which have nil impact on the quality of the end product itself - factors like country of origin, being "the real thing", "heritage" and so on. It can certainly be a very successful strategy, lifestyle marketing: brands like Harley have done very well out of it over the years. Seems, though, that for many people in the leather jacket niche other ideas have taken over and there isn't the same value placed on somebody having made X since Y if another company is considered to do it better. The denimhead market is probably even moreso this way than the leather crowd by now: how many serious denim people still wear regular Levis by now?

Perceived value is a difficult animal to pin down, really. With SChott beng so well known for their midmarket prices and mainstream fashion-targeted product, I don't know if they could raise their prices all that much without the market deciding it was "too much" for what they are.... it's all so subjective.

Again, though, that all comes down to what the market want. Schott aren't really chasing the same people as want an Aero or an ELC or a Freewheelers or whatever.... they're a mainstream fashion brand chasing a mainstream market, more Alpha than Aero in terms of what they want to do. The fashion market values novelty, the classic, retro crowd less so.

Oh, I'd say there's precious little objectivity involved once we get as deep as this into our niche. ;) Absolutely, though, Schott can ask whatever price they think the market will bear - whether they can get that is up to the market. Again, I doubt the people buying into Iron Heart are the same folks that are likely to want a Schott: in this game, often people want the obscure, cottage-industry experience and they expect something small-scale and obscure rather than a big, fashion house name. In the fashion world, that'll be different.

Almost a dead ringer for the Aero King of the Road model (though the Aero has 'pillion pockets', which this one lacks). Is it a repop of one of the old Durable jackets? I don't have my reference material to hand, and can't recall if it was Schott or Durable who tended to make d-pockets this way - as memory serves, Buco *always* had a horizontal chest pocket over the D.... at least all those I've seen.

I've only owned one but handled many over the years. They've always felt to me like the first rung on getting a decent jacket without major compromises, but here in the UK at least there's always also been the sense that there's a significant price premium attached to the brand and the made in USA elements. It's all subjective, of course: there are those to whom those things will matter; to me, they don't.

This goes back to what I was saying about brand perception and marketability. Schott undoubtedly do some very nice stuff as well, but because the brand is also so readily associated with cheaper fashion jackets in a flimsy lamb (for example) by many, it is definitely harder for them to shake that image when trying to sell to a different, hardcore crowd. It all rather reminds me of when Toyota created the Lexus brand in order to move into a higher price-band market, because they didn't feel they could sell an "expensive Toyota" to that market. Schott are perceived by many as a mid-price brand, which is going to make it harder to sell more expensive, premium pieces. It's all marketing psychology.

All comes down to what the market is prepared to pay, in the end - whatever that market is. None of these brands would still be around if nobody was buying, so they must all be convincing somebody they're worth whatever they're charging.
Or, maybe they are good jackets?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Not at all. And I was wrong. 1950-something. But it's still kinda silly on RMC's blog, though...

hollister_48_copy.jpg
RMC, no matter. This is a really great photo of real people, wearing real clothing. They are probably laughing at RMC prices, that if they are still around. :)

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. That's fair, I just personally see fashion specifically as a negative word. I personally use it negatively. To me, fashion means trendy instead of actual style. Sorry if I responded too negatively because of this word. Agreed, I think Schott's biggest issue right now is their lack of direction. Their pricing has been all over the place which makes them quite confusing.

The off the rack only aspect of the Japanese brands is a bit of an issue, especially given the price premium. At least with Himel, you get customization options and the jacket is made to measure.

Yes, you are right that the prices are higher in general even without Shinki. However, the Shinki jackets are the most expensive by a significant margin. I know it's not the only reason for the cost, however. The durability has proved to be excellent with the Japanese jackets, but having handled Vanson jackets, will agree that those are likely to be more durable. They are specifically built for that.

@Fonzie checking that right now, thanks for the tip! I think you're right. I love assymetrical moto jackets in general, but I don't think any of them work for me.
Yeah, but the" Holy Shinki" as i calls it is still pretty cool. but, I have only bought a few used at half price from the new ones. Unfortunately, my local little old seamstress on the corner can't get a needle though them for the needed repairs of a used jacket. Even though i want to own one jacket from all the best makers, probably skip Vanson, and even LW, because I don't ride. Though am very tempted by LWs goat. Plus I have not had any dealings with Stu, but I like that in your face attitude. A bit of a hard sell, but from what i have studied he walks the talk. He's a New Yorker. Nuff said.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure we just had an earth quake in Oakland just now. House is still standing. My Hercules would hold up to almost anything. I'm going to put it on in case of any after shocks. :)

Most of the listings in your rant are answered here in various threads of the past under ' Outerwear '. ' Search ' is your friend to find these answers. Many posters who have been here for years don't often care to keep answering all the same questions again every time a new member joins the FL...and some may no longer post but most of the answers are still there.

I agree with Dude ( and he says it better than I can ) " To me, fashion means trendy instead of actual style ".
There's a big difference between 'fashion' and 'style'..that's for sure..!!

No, I have never tried to apply oil on Nubuck leather since I described my reaction to that leather so wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Also try search to find other members likes and dislikes of certain maker's jackets and how their hides and finishes differ from others. ...maybe before buying them...:D
HD

MET

A-List Customer
That p673 oiled Nubuck seems to be full grain waxed roughout leather not a partial thickness nubuck.

That p673 oiled Nubuck seems to be full grain waxed roughout leather not a partial thickness nubuck.

Nubuck leather is top grain rather than full grain and artificially made to look like roughout or a spotty suede ( IMO ) from the smooth side of the leather rather than the natural roughout side. What do you mean ' partial thickness nubuck..??

MET

A-List Customer
Nubuck leather is top grain rather than full grain and artificially made to look like roughout or a spotty suede ( IMO ) from the smooth side of the leather rather than the natural roughout side. What do you mean ' partial thickness nubuck..??
Excuse my terminology. I do mean this leather seems to be thick enough to be full grain roughout leather.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Most of the listings in your rant are answered here in various threads of the past under ' Outerwear '. ' Search ' is your friend to find these answers. Many posters who have been here for years don't often care to keep answering all the same questions again every time a new member joins the FL...and some may no longer post but most of the answers are still there.

I agree with Dude ( and he says it better than I can ) " To me, fashion means trendy instead of actual style ".
There's a big difference between 'fashion' and 'style'..that's for sure..!!

No, I have never tried to apply oil on Nubuck leather since I described my reaction to that leather so wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Also try search to find other members likes and dislikes of certain maker's jackets and how their hides and finishes differ from others. ...maybe before buying them...:D
HD
Yeah @HoosierDaddy, it must get frustrating for all you veterans getting silly questions from all us newbs. I have trouble searching on this forum. It doesn't seem too be too user friendly. But, that is probably user error, not the forum's search engine. :). One more question is Horween FQHH thick leather? just kidding.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Off subject.
Man, that earthquake really rattled me last night. Yikes. Good excuse to buy 4 oz. + leather.,
Plenty of people are still buying the Schott too, I imagine! Thing is, though, that Schott prices have been shooting up in recent years - at least, they have here in the UK. A 618 at £350 was a great deal. Now they're more or less the same price as an Aero in some places, well.... Schott in general here in the UK in my experience are now pretty much the same price as Vanson; I've always been more impressed with the Vanson quality.

Some markets do seem to attach a premium to intangible features which have nil impact on the quality of the end product itself - factors like country of origin, being "the real thing", "heritage" and so on. It can certainly be a very successful strategy, lifestyle marketing: brands like Harley have done very well out of it over the years. Seems, though, that for many people in the leather jacket niche other ideas have taken over and there isn't the same value placed on somebody having made X since Y if another company is considered to do it better. The denimhead market is probably even moreso this way than the leather crowd by now: how many serious denim people still wear regular Levis by now?

Perceived value is a difficult animal to pin down, really. With SChott beng so well known for their midmarket prices and mainstream fashion-targeted product, I don't know if they could raise their prices all that much without the market deciding it was "too much" for what they are.... it's all so subjective.

Again, though, that all comes down to what the market want. Schott aren't really chasing the same people as want an Aero or an ELC or a Freewheelers or whatever.... they're a mainstream fashion brand chasing a mainstream market, more Alpha than Aero in terms of what they want to do. The fashion market values novelty, the classic, retro crowd less so.

Oh, I'd say there's precious little objectivity involved once we get as deep as this into our niche. ;) Absolutely, though, Schott can ask whatever price they think the market will bear - whether they can get that is up to the market. Again, I doubt the people buying into Iron Heart are the same folks that are likely to want a Schott: in this game, often people want the obscure, cottage-industry experience and they expect something small-scale and obscure rather than a big, fashion house name. In the fashion world, that'll be different.

Almost a dead ringer for the Aero King of the Road model (though the Aero has 'pillion pockets', which this one lacks). Is it a repop of one of the old Durable jackets? I don't have my reference material to hand, and can't recall if it was Schott or Durable who tended to make d-pockets this way - as memory serves, Buco *always* had a horizontal chest pocket over the D.... at least all those I've seen.

I've only owned one but handled many over the years. They've always felt to me like the first rung on getting a decent jacket without major compromises, but here in the UK at least there's always also been the sense that there's a significant price premium attached to the brand and the made in USA elements. It's all subjective, of course: there are those to whom those things will matter; to me, they don't.

This goes back to what I was saying about brand perception and marketability. Schott undoubtedly do some very nice stuff as well, but because the brand is also so readily associated with cheaper fashion jackets in a flimsy lamb (for example) by many, it is definitely harder for them to shake that image when trying to sell to a different, hardcore crowd. It all rather reminds me of when Toyota created the Lexus brand in order to move into a higher price-band market, because they didn't feel they could sell an "expensive Toyota" to that market. Schott are perceived by many as a mid-price brand, which is going to make it harder to sell more expensive, premium pieces. It's all marketing psychology.

All comes down to what the market is prepared to pay, in the end - whatever that market is. None of these brands would still be around if nobody was buying, so they must all be convincing somebody they're worth whatever they're charging.
@Edward you hit that one right with only a few words "Perceived value is a difficult animal to pin down".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner