Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting up a whisky- and cigar-tasting night

Doctor Mabuse

New in Town
I'm trying to organize a cigars 'n' scotch night for my Lodge, but I've never done such a thing before. Has anyone here done one, or something similar? I don't know if it would be better to do something structured like an organized tasting, or something simple and to the point like sharing a single bottle of something really nice. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions from all of you Connoisseurs.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
The best thing about those type of nights is variety and trying something you have never had before. Small tastings of rare single malts and cigars. Some cubans are always great for those who have never tried one. Try to get as many guests to bring something off the beaten path as possible and the host should provide a good selection themselves as well as taste cleansers. Ice water, crackers. Taste stimulators are also a good thing to have. Chocolate, candied ginger, or smells of things like herbs to stimulate or help a taster sense/evoke these flavors in the items they are trying.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

A huge one would be to set up designated drivers. If the local LEO get wind of this, everyone who goes will be paying for a drunk driving conviction. I live in Wichita and a friend of mine's kid got married. It wasn't that big of a deal, but it resulted in 12 DUI's from the reception including a wife who's husband was stopped, so she stopped to see why and they BOTH will lose their license for at least a year.

Later

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Does your lodge allow alcohol? My lodge serves alcohol once in a while, usually blended scotches, beer and wine. Everybody gets two drinks, and nobody gets pressured into drinking. I personally no longer drink, as is the case with many of my fellow Masons.

Something we do, however is hold a "4th Degree" which basically means we go to a quiet bar after Festive Board and those who want to come have a beer, or a ginger ale. That way, we get the chance to have a drink, but we don't have the liability issues of serving alcohol.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot