Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing help, how to get thin straps right side out again.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I take a bobby pin and insert it in the last stitch or so and run it through sort of like this tutorial here: http://craftyendeavors.blogspot.com/2009/05/tutorial-how-to-make-button-loops-or.html

I did however find that Dritz made a tool especially for turning bias strips and straps when I ran across a vintage one last weekend. Mine still has the packaging with ladies on it from the early 60s. http://www.gonesewing.com/servlet/Detail?no=4595 The end is narrower than the one I posted the link to though, more like a safety pin. I haven't had the chance to use it but it looks much better than a bobby pin!

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
I have that tool, but haven't been able to use it correctly in the last few projects - it never seems to grip the fabric properly! I usually use a really sall safety pin, so you can feel the metal inside and push it to the other side, or just do it by hand, but that can take ages.

Flicka

One Too Many
Oh, that's neat! Really nice tip! I've wrestled with this many times but I never thought of anything as clever as the wonderfully simple bobby pin method.

Flicka

One Too Many
I just found a brilliant trick in my sewing book - sew a piping cord into the strap, but only fasten it with a few stitches across one end. Then you pull it, et voilà! The strap turns itself inside out with no hassle. Just snip off the cord and you're done!

DonnaP

Familiar Face
I have a set of tools that are three different size tubes and three different width dowels, you drop the tube into the strap, and use the dowel to push the fabric through the dowel and right side out. I tried to find it them online and didn't see anything that looked exactly like it. The tubes really make a difference.

JennieWren

Familiar Face
I have a set of tools that are three different size tubes and three different width dowels, you drop the tube into the strap, and use the dowel to push the fabric through the dowel and right side out. I tried to find it them online and didn't see anything that looked exactly like it. The tubes really make a difference.

You can find them on doll making supply web sites, in different sizes. Doll makers use them for turning fingers and skinny arms and legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy