Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shearling lined flight jacket aqusition

mattface

Practically Family
I didn't see a show us your new jacket thread. Apologies if I missed it. I'm pretty excited about my latest aquisition. I've been coveting this particular jacket for years, and one like it for many many years. It hung in my favorite vintage shop in town for years an no one ever bought it, and I could never afford it. SO today I asked the owner if she would consider a trading this one jacket for a pile of jackets and coats I no longer wear. It took a little bargaining, but she got 5 of my old jackets, and I got this one.

I am going to need to spend some money to get the zipper fixed, but other than that it's in excellent condition, even the knit cuffs.

Mostly I'm just showing it off, because I'm excited, but I'd love information about it if you have some. The tag said WWII vintage flight jacket. I don't know if that's true. I just know it's about exactly the style I've been wanting to own. I'd love if it were horsehide, but I suspect it's steer. Not sure how one would tell, there are no tags.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nope not WWII vintage. Mebbe a "civilian" model. No Govt. Issue ever had buttons on the sleeve or cinch straps IIRC. Also the slanted zipped pockets scream Motorcycle as do the handwarmer pockets on the front. Dinerman and Aswatland are THE experts though... they'll sort you out quickly.

Worf

PS Little chilly this mornin' in dem Green Mountains eh?

mattface

Practically Family
Nope not WWII vintage. Mebbe a "civilian" model. No Govt. Issue ever had buttons on the sleeve or cinch straps IIRC. Also the slanted zipped pockets scream Motorcycle as do the handwarmer pockets on the front. Dinerman and Aswatland are THE experts though... they'll sort you out quickly.

Worf

PS Little chilly this mornin' in dem Green Mountains eh?

Those are the details I LIKE about it. Not looking for a military issue flight jacket, but more something just like this. Not that I have an accurate guess as to age, but the styling feels a little more pre-war to me.

Yes it was quite chilly this morning, but nowhere near chilly enough this afternoon for this jacket. The heavyweight leather and thick shearling lining makes it definitely winter weight.

You should be excited. Very nice. With a fixed zip it will last you for years. Such a good feeling to be able to acquire something that you've had your eye on for such a long time. I wouldn't care whether it was HH or steer. Congrats
HD

mattface

Practically Family
You should be excited. Very nice. With a fixed zip it will last you for years. Such a good feeling to be able to acquire something that you've had your eye on for such a long time. I wouldn't care whether it was HH or steer. Congrats
HD

Oh I definitely AM excited about it thanks!

mattface

Practically Family
Found a tag hiding under the black furry stuff on the lining in the lower left front: Sport Time Sportswear Sold Exclusively By Robert Hall Clothes, along with a second tag that answered any doubt that it's steerhide. According to Wikipedia, that puts it squarely between 1937 and 1977... That doesn't really narrow it down that much...

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Nice jacket, mattface! I admire your patience in waiting so long to make your move on it. All the more satisfying to have it now. That's killer, but, we need to see some pics of your wearing it to be official.

pipvh

Practically Family
Some nice vintage shops in Montpelier. I think I may have coveted that very jacket myself a few years ago...

mattface

Practically Family
Well done... nice score. PM Dinerman he may be able to narrow down the years for you based on the original zips.

Worf

THanks! Will do. The main zipper is Conmar FWIW.

conmar_gold_front_pin_lock_cropped.jpg

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
super cool, good for you, worth the wait
yup vintage aint nothing like it ( when it fits )
looks great all around your ensemble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred