Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Woot! Fabric passed on to friends who sew is half the fun :)
I made this for the victorian ball. I stole the pic from a costumer friend :)
002f4xwb

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
:eusa_clap

You are such the lady! Got the posture and everything!

How to you finish your edges? What type of stitch? Blind hem Id imagine....Im looking for a nice finishing stitch, other than a straight stitch :p

LD

Kimberly

Practically Family
I just wanted to let you all know how in awe I am over your skills. I feel so accomplished after sewing on buttons and can't even imagine the rush I would have after creating an entire outfit. :eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia, when I took home economics in Jr. High we had cooking for 1/2 the year and then sewing. I took great at cooking (in fact I still love to do it), but did terrible at sewing. I will never forget my pathetic attempt at a prairie skirt that got me an F. LOL

Now that I have gotten older though I tend to like it more. I pick up a lot of things at thrifts and my passion is clothes from the 40's. I bought a suit there that was gorgeous. The woman who owned it before me actually had one shoulder pad in one shoulder of the jacket and not the other (my guess is she had polio and was trying to even her silhouette). Anyhow, I fixed it and all of the other alterations she did to it and I loved doing it. I am also a pro at sewing buttons and fixing hems.

At some point I would love to learn how to really sew but I am taking baby steps. It is actually very relaxing. I am going to be quitting smoking later this month and I am going to substitute it with sewing because it will take my mind off of it and give me something to do with my hands.

I know what you mean though, it can get rather frustrating. :eek:

Kimberly

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
knitting or crocheting are excellent activities for this as well, and they're portable!

That's what people keep telling me. I was also thinking of doing embroidery. Anything to keep me from smoking or eating (if I can't smoke I want to eat lol ).

I wouldn't mind knitting some cute scarves or something. Until then I have let a pile of mending pile up that I am going to tackle the first week I quit. I have about 5 pairs of pants and 3 skirts that need hemming. I have quit before so I know I can do it, it's just the first week that's torture. :rolleyes:

Small Town Girl

One of the Regulars
WoW!

You girls are amazing!!! Lauren, I love your choice of fabrics! Miss Neecerie, I don't think that,given the choice of fabric, your curtain could ever be called "boring.":)

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Lauren you are truly amazing!!

I recently made this dress. However, um, wow, you wouldnt know it by looking at the actual dress :D I'll try to get a picture up of it. I find sewing to be quite difficult. But I desperately want to be good at it.

1942.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Trixie said:
Lauren you are truly amazing!!

I recently made this dress. However, um, wow, you wouldnt know it by looking at the actual dress :D I'll try to get a picture up of it. I find sewing to be quite difficult. But I desperately want to be good at it.

1942.jpg

I feel you on that one Trixie.
I made the same one, and it just doesn't look quite the same. I still like it, but I don't think it looks like the illustration either.

Kimberly

Practically Family
OMG Shearer that is crazy! :eek: Talk about clever.

I am not making anything but have to sew the lining up on a 1940's coat I got that a thrift today. I saw the damage last week and didn't want to spend the $10 for it, but I kept thinking about it all week and was kicking myself for not getting it so I ran there today and sure enough there it was. All it needs is for the lining to be sewed and it's good as new. I also bought a pair of 80's denim suspenders that I am thinking of adding buttons to as a project. You have all inspired me!

BTW: Where is there a good source to find vintage buttons. Whenever I go on eBay I get overwhelmed because you can't just buy 10 or so buttons. It seems as if you have to get 50 of them. :eek:

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Kimberly, the antique stores around here have loads of vintage buttons. I'm not sure the situation in your area. Ask Daisy. :)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Kimberly, the antique stores around here have loads of vintage buttons. I'm not sure the situation in your area. Ask Daisy. :)

I didn't even think of the antique stores. Good idea! I live in Central Massachusetts (about an hour away from Daisy) and northern cental has a ton of antique stores. Maybe I will call around and ask them if they have any. I am taking a break from sewing the lining. There are no tags on this coat, but I did find the small shoulder pads!). I will post pics once it's finished. I have a terrible time photographing black though and I want you to all see the detail and the sewn in arrow details that makes this coat so 40's.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I'm making this one, in the middle right, my summer project(pictured in red)
It'll be in a soft yellow pineapple Tiki print!:D It's my first garment sewing project!

Dress.jpg

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
CanadaDoll I hope you dont mind my asking but is that a modern pattern or is it out of print? I saw exactly the same dress as a vintage pattern on ebay but it wasnt in my size so I was wondering if I could track it down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael