Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
This one is repro 1950's, so you probably did see it's vintage mommy, but this one is entirely available in modern sizes!:D

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
You're very welcome, the pattern only cost me 5 dollars at the most, so if you do decide to "splurge" on it Happy Sewing!:D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren, as usual, your dress is lovely!:eusa_clap

ShooShooBaby said:
knitting or crocheting are excellent activities for this as well, and they're portable!
I find that needlepoint is very relaxing, and no counting involved either. My Mom has made some incredible wall hangings/tapestries. She does it to relax, and the outcome is really rewarding.

As the owner of a new Pfaff sewing machine and being that I'm a completely new sewer IMO there's nothing at the moment relaxing about sewing. But, I'm still very new, haven't made anything yet. Just trying to figure out this complex machine that is more difficult to use than a computer. I'm beginning to wonder if I might have been better off buying a cheaper, easier, beginner model, and then traded it in in a year or two for the complex Pfaff that I got. I'm wondering if I'd enjoy the task a bit more if I wasn't so scared of the machine I got. But, I'm sure that once I get a little better I'll be happier. I just have to learn to ignore all the fancy gadgets and stick to the basics. But wow, the button holer is the coolest thing, and the monogramming function is amazing. I was teasing Hemingway Jones that he would come home one day from work and find all the pockets of his dress shirts monogrammed!! It has 106 different stitch options, the ability to monogram, the entire alphabet in script, 8 different button hole options, and what I think is the coolest function is the bottom piece where the drawers are to hold all the tools slides off so when you're hemming cuffs you can slide the cuff right on, kind of like the thin edge of an ironing board. I don't know much about sewing machines, but the woman who sold it to me told me this wasn't a typical feature. I like it though, for I'm planning on hemming all of my own clothes from now on. I'm so short that petites are long on me and my tailor bill can get expensive. I'm hoping that this will save me a bit of money, that is if I can ever figure out how to use it! Now, what does this pedal thingy do?lol:eek: :D

Daisy Buchanan

Pink Dahlia said:
Kimberly, the antique stores around here have loads of vintage buttons. I'm not sure the situation in your area. Ask Daisy.
:) Great idea!:D

Kimberly said:
I didn't even think of the antique stores. Good idea! I live in Central Massachusetts (about an hour away from Daisy) and northern cental has a ton of antique stores. Maybe I will call around and ask them if they have any. I am taking a break from sewing the lining. There are no tags on this coat, but I did find the small shoulder pads!). I will post pics once it's finished. I have a terrible time photographing black though and I want you to all see the detail and the sewn in arrow details that makes this coat so 40's.
I'm not sure where abouts you live in central Mass, I've actually been meaning to ask you. I got my sewing machine at The Fabric Place in Framingham. I get some fabric there as well, but they don't have a great selection of vintage patterns. Jo-Anne Fabrics on the Natick/Framingham line has a good selection of Vintage Vogue, Simplicity, and other vintage patterns and IMO I think they have a better selection of vintage-y fabrics. Both stores have great button selections, but I like The Fabric Place better, they seem to have a good amount of vintage looking buttons.
I don't know how far you are from Waltham, but there are a few different antique shoppes that have a varied selection of items. They don't specialize in clothes, but they get great accessories including buttons. I can find out the names for you if you'd like.
I haven't been to central/western Mass for vintage shopping, but I'm thinking of making a trip out that way. I know Worcester pretty well, I went to under-grad there (the first time around:eek:) but I wasn't into the vintage scene then. Any store names that you find good vintage at would be appreciated. Don't worry, I'm a bigger size than you, so we wouldn't be fighting over the same stuff!

Pink Dahlia said:
Tell me about it, LD! I could only make the flower barrettes one at at time before I started to get a little loopy! lol
How much of this stuff do I need to make me a lot loopy?:p

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy, I am in a small town right outside of Worcester (15 minutes from downtown Worcester!). I don't know of any vintage shops around here, the only places I go are the thrifts and eBay. I have been bombing at the thrifts though for summer clothes (I guess the dresses go quicker than I can get there).

Someone had told me about some kind of vintage fair in either Brimfield or Sturbridge that is happening in May! I did some googling and found what I think it is, but if that's the one it looks like it's more catered toward that Victorian era. I will keep my eye out on it and once they start listing some of the vendors, maybe it will be a worth a trip out there! :cool: It would be so much fun to vintage shop with another vintie as everyone in my immediate circle likes only Ann Taylor and Banana Republic clothes.

There has to be some vintage shops around here, I just can't find them that's all. [huh]

I am about 1/2 hour away from Framingham.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Rockapin-up said:
I have that pattern too. I just don't know how to sew yet :eek: Sorry to hear that it doesn't look the same as the drawing :(

I don't know, it's quite possibly my ability (or lack thereof :eek: ) or my body that makes it look unlike the picture.

The one thing I found wiith it is that you need to carefully fit it before you sew the side seams in. That's the only place you seem to be able to adjust the fit, and with a side zipper, once it's in, it's nearly impossible to adjust without ripping the whole thing apart.

I'd also suggest not doing this as a project early on as you learn. It was my second ever, and it gave me fits.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Okay ladies you've inspired me.

I'll be picking up this pattern soon.

B4790.jpg

My mom said she'd teach me. It's marked "very easy" so I thought I could do it. Hopefully, I can swing it. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia said:

B4790.jpg

My mom said she'd teach me. It's marked "very easy" so I thought I could do it. Hopefully, I can swing it. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

If this is the pattern I think I remember thinking about getting at one point, it did look very easy.

I finished my peasant blouse, need to take a photo, will post soon.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kimberly said:
BTW: Where is there a good source to find vintage buttons. Whenever I go on eBay I get overwhelmed because you can't just buy 10 or so buttons. It seems as if you have to get 50 of them. :eek:

!BUTTONS! !BUTTONS! !BUTTONS!

All from an eBay lot. Over 200 buttons. Cost, $35. My happiness, priceless. One of the best lots Ive ever won! eBay and lots are the best place for buttons. Most of the time people dont know what they have! :D

LD

Kimberly

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
!BUTTONS! !BUTTONS! !BUTTONS!

All from an eBay lot. Over 200 buttons. Cost, $35. My happiness, priceless. One of the best lots Ive ever won! eBay and lots are the best place for buttons. Most of the time people dont know what they have! :D

LD

You bring up a good point. Most of the time I go shopping for buttons on eBay once I need them and it is very frustrating. Maybe I should just buy a lot of them and use them on an as needed basis. I have a ton of things I could add buttons to. I LOVE buttons so it would be fun.

I love the buttons you got. There are a set of green ones in there that are magnificent!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Pink Dahlia said:

B4790.jpg

Be careful of the sizing.

I cut it out a size larger than I normally wear (to accomodate my bust and the non-stretchy fabric I bought to use), and the darn dress doesn't fit! It's too small through the ribs and waist. Five yards of super cute batik fabric down the drain. :( (I can always give it away to a girlfriend, I suppose.... and buy another pattern to try making it larger.)

:rolleyes:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Babydoll said:
Be careful of the sizing.

I cut it out a size larger than I normally wear (to accomodate my bust and the non-stretchy fabric I bought to use), and the darn dress doesn't fit! It's too small through the ribs and waist. Five yards of super cute batik fabric down the drain. :( (I can always give it away to a girlfriend, I suppose.... and buy another pattern to try making it larger.)

:rolleyes:

Oooh Ive had that happen to me as well :rage: I learned to always measure the pattern pieces (especially around the widest area of where the bust is) to make sure it will fit well.

This dress has been floating around the lounge for a some time. Im sure you can find more info (maybe in this thread) on this particular pattern.

And yes, I am the Queen of Buttons! lol

Later,

LD

pretty faythe

One Too Many
The peasant top, you can't tell in the first pic, but it's white with black pinstripes.
On me
Photo0019.jpg

On hanger, closer look to see the materal.
Photo0020.jpg

(yes, with non-vintage jean shorts. lol)

Daisy Buchanan

Pink Dahlia said:
Not much! Just take the cap off.
Now that sounds like my kind of stuff!!:D

Kimberly said:
Daisy, I am in a small town right outside of Worcester (15 minutes from downtown Worcester!). I don't know of any vintage shops around here, the only places I go are the thrifts and eBay. I have been bombing at the thrifts though for summer clothes (I guess the dresses go quicker than I can get there).

Someone had told me about some kind of vintage fair in either Brimfield or Sturbridge that is happening in May! I did some googling and found what I think it is, but if that's the one it looks like it's more catered toward that Victorian era. I will keep my eye out on it and once they start listing some of the vendors, maybe it will be a worth a trip out there! :cool: It would be so much fun to vintage shop with another vintie as everyone in my immediate circle likes only Ann Taylor and Banana Republic clothes.

There has to be some vintage shops around here, I just can't find them that's all. [huh]

I am about 1/2 hour away from Framingham.

I remember this event from last year. If I'm thinking of the same one, it is mostly Victorian and some Edwardian. Most of the vendors last year were either fabric dealers or people selling museum quality pieces, that were way way out of my price range.
This weekend there was a big vintage expo at the Bayside Expo Center. I'm kicking myself for bailing at the last minute and not going. I was just trying to be good and was worried if I went I would spend way too much money. Now I'm a bit sad. But the vintage dealer I'm friends with went, and he said he would keep me in mind during his buying, so hopefully he found me a few lovelies, and won't upcharge me too much:eek:

I know the Worcester, Framingham, Natick areas pretty well. I lived in Worcester for five years. I don't know of any vintage shoppes out there, but I imagine that the thrift stores get some good things. I hear that further west, in the Stockbridge/Sturbridge area there are some great places. I'm gonna have to get out there at some point.
It would be fun to meet up and do some shopping. You could always take the commuter rail into the Boston area one afternoon and I could take you over to Bobby's. Maybe we can make arrangements to go to his warehouse. Just imagine a 20,000 sq. ft. building filled with vintage. He's in the process of re-doing the space trying to make it look a little nicer, now that he's selling a bit more to the public. For a while he only sold a little to the public, and supplied movie companies mostly. So, at the moment a lot of his stuff is in boxes. But he's making progress. The last time I went there with Jitterbugdoll between the two of us we must have bought 25 different items!! We were two very giggly girls in there, and I'm pretty sure Bobby was happy he let us in!!
I could also take you over to Cafe Society in Brookline. She gets some nice things in too.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Daisy that would be great!!! I am used to taking the commuter rail anyhow because I have to go out to Boston sometimes for work. We even have a Saturday schedule. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters