Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I made a cute two piece outfit. It is dark blue with white polkadots. The top was a pain, cause somehow the pattern was a bit wrong so I had big problems to get front and back together since the front was smaller than the back (that´s why it´s a bit tighter on me than on the pattern-pic). On the other hand the skirt was a real quickie to do.

The pattern:

s4047.jpg

The one I made:

http://www.empireart.de/Sari/sari-pinup0005-web.jpg.html

http://www.empireart.de/Sari/sari01.jpg.html

http://www.empireart.de/Sari/Sari/sari-pinup0006-web.jpg

I´m working on the jacket, but i have to wait for my sewing-lessons to continue cause I have big problems trying to figure out the lining lol

Ohairas: I LOVE your dresses!!! They look georgous! *green with envy*

Kim: I love your jewelry!!! (It makes me consider trying some stuff myself!)

Lady Day: The sweater is great! It really looks like an authetic piece to me and the brooch looks like it was inteded for it from the start!

Dandelion: Both the top and the bag rock! The look like summer in Italy to me :)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Lady Day, that sweater is so stylish! When might we be treated to another of your sassy photo shoots in your sassy new threads?

Sari, your dress turned out lovely, and you are a cute model!

Now I need to get sewing on all the fabric I bought. :eek:

--Leslie

Barbara

One of the Regulars
dandelion-vint said:
This weekend I did a little sewing for myself. First was a top, made from vintage cotton, using a 1930s pajama top pattern -

451235265_41562e75d9_m.jpg

Next was a purse, using a fun piece of vintage cotton that has jungle and native print. I had the old wooden purse handles, and all that I had to do was slide the fabric through the handles and stitch it, then stitch down the sides.

451235263_dc5d1df79b_m.jpg

I'm ready for Summer!

Hello Dandelion. I am in love with that blouse. Was it difficult to make? I am not an experienced seamstress, but that's a great idea to take a pyjama top and make a summer top out of it.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Hey, Thanks everyone for the compliments on my purse and blouse!
Here is a close up of the purse fabric. It's a great cotton piece that was in with some vintage stock that I bought for my website. It was just about a 1/2 yard piece, it had a pocket sewn on it, I think it was going to be made into an apron, but never got finished by the previous owner.

463393119_17c940a32a.jpg

I made my top from this 1930s pajama pattern, which is actually a copy that I bought online recently. It was the one in the middle, fairly easy, 4 pieces plus the ties. I'd love to try the pants, but I have to find the right kind of fabric, something lightweight, for regular daywear.

463393111_90ea5ffeb6_o.jpg

I bought some great 1940s rayon that I want to make into a dress, that'll be my next project.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Elaina said:
Sari: word of warning about that lining for the jacket: it's going to bag. Badly, at that. It wound up taking me about 2 weeks to get it to lay the way I wanted it to, and even then I picked the heck out of it and hand quilted the inside.

Oh my... that sounds extremely bad... Especially for a beginner like me. I would just make it without the lining, but I had to "glue" the fabric together with Vlieseline cause it´s sort of stretchy so it doesn´t look very pretty on the inside... Maybe my sewing-teacher can help me as she is a seamstress by profession, but if it is so time-consuming I might have to think of something else... That´s my first project with a lining, so I guess I will hate lining for the rest of my life lol

Barbara

One of the Regulars
dandelion-vint said:
This weekend I did a little sewing for myself. First was a top, made from vintage cotton, using a 1930s pajama top pattern -

451235265_41562e75d9_m.jpg

Next was a purse, using a fun piece of vintage cotton that has jungle and native print. I had the old wooden purse handles, and all that I had to do was slide the fabric through the handles and stitch it, then stitch down the sides.

451235263_dc5d1df79b_m.jpg

I'm ready for Summer!

Hey Carol

I notice the blouse is tucked in on the pattern so you can't see it fully. Does the waist indeed extend below the waistline to hang over a pair of trousers or skirt? I have zero to wear this summer and you have inspired me, though I doubt my attempts would look as good as your's. I've gone back to the basics and am making a simple apron for my daughter just to hone my skills a little. But my next sewing class is in a couple of weeks and this may make a good project if I can get material that would look right.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Hi Barbara,
My finished top is 20 inches long, and it does come down over the waist several inches. I didn't alter the pattern length. The only thing I did differently from the pattern was to add the ties at the waist, to give it a little more fit. The pattern is a copy and I bought it here - http://www.vintagefashionlibrary.com/

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the information! I think the ties are a good call on that blouse. Did you attach them or were they separate? I may give it a whirl! My husband always says to me, why don't you just buy things, but everyone knows you can't buy much of anything like that.

Thanks for the link. They have some great patterns!

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
Hi Barbara,
I like making things too. That way you get what you want, and it's satisfying to make it on your own. I made the ties out of the same fabric, and just handstitched one to each side of the waist, that way they can tie in the front, or the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw