Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

CherryBubbles

New in Town
Lady Day said:
plaidskirt.jpg

Oh, Lady Day, that is just the kicky-est plaid skirt! Love it, 'deed I do ;)

CherryBubbles

New in Town
Inky said:
not as much made as modified: an original U.S. Navy Men's enlisted dress blues jumper - not vintage - modified into an open jacket - with original large U.S. Navy pea coat buttons and vintage liberty cuffs added.

4594960427_86f2bfb896_b.jpg

Inky - I love your "modification" and wow, what a fun look! :)

crwritt

One Too Many
CherryBubbles said:
Inky - I love your "modification" and wow, what a fun look! :)
Inky your jacket is cute, and I remember wearing a dress blues top back when I was a teenager,and probably would have made one back then if I'd thought of it, but forgive me for having mixed feelings about it. I have a son who's a sailor.
25001_1106677644183_1744062716_195686_7101129_n.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
crwritt said:
Inky your jacket is cute, and I remember wearing a dress blues top back when I was a teenager,and probably would have made one back then if I'd thought of it, but forgive me for having mixed feelings about it. I have a son who's a sailor.
25001_1106677644183_1744062716_195686_7101129_n.jpg

oh crwritt, i hope i haven't offended you. you can ask my hubby (he did six years as a sailor as well) - it was a much hemmed and hawed over decision to cut up the jumper. I love the U.S. Navy and have nothing but respect for the men and women that serve in all of our Armed Forces.

But it was a gift, not vintage and I knew I would never wear it and it would sit there doing nothing - this way it gets used and gives me warmth.

And your son is down right adorable!!

crwritt

One Too Many
Inky said:
oh crwritt, i hope i haven't offended you. you can ask my hubby (he did six years as a sailor as well) - it was a much hemmed and hawed over decision to cut up the jumper. I love the U.S. Navy and have nothing but respect for the men and women that serve in all of our Armed Forces.

But it was a gift, not vintage and I knew I would never wear it and it would sit there doing nothing - this way it gets used and gives me warmth.

And your son is down right adorable!!

No, Inky,I'm not offended, and, as I said, I think your jacket came out really cute. I might have made one myself 30 years ago if I'd thought of it. I get such a kick out of seeing my formerly scruffy son all cleaned up in dress blues, they have so much vintage style all on their own!
I guess I'm just not ready to make such a fashion statement for myself.
What job does the insignia on your jacket represent? My son's means he's a sonar technician.
Since your sweetie is a sailor, what does he think of the jacket?

Inky

One Too Many
crwritt said:
No, Inky,I'm not offended, and, as I said, I think your jacket came out really cute. I might have made one myself 30 years ago if I'd thought of it. I get such a kick out of seeing my formerly scruffy son all cleaned up in dress blues, they have so much vintage style all on their own!
I guess I'm just not ready to make such a fashion statement for myself.
What job does the insignia on your jacket represent? My son's means he's a sonar technician.
Since your sweetie is a sailor, what does he think of the jacket?

oh good, crwritt, thank you so much :) I do love the enlisted dress blues - we still call them Crackerjacks!!

The jacket was assigned to someone on the U.S.S. Nevada (a submarine) and they were a First Class Petty Officer working as a Missile Technician. The buttons I used are standard U.S. Navy Pea coat buttons from a an embarrassingly large stash of them that I have ;)

As for hubby, he encouraged me to do it because he knew I wanted to wear it but didn't want to wear it as a closed jumper. I have gotten some comments from retired Navy men in town and they have loved it too and think it's pretty neat, especially the Liberty Cuffs I put on it.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I have a question about skirts. As far as where they sit. I don't wear hip huggers but most of my pants and skirts sit a couple inches below the belly button. I was adjusting a skirt this morning and instead of doing the sensible thing and pinning it I just ran it though my serger. Now it sits just above my belly button, looks cute but feels weird. So question is, where do most of the waist lines on the vintage patterns sit? Above or below belly button? If it is above I can get used to that, I mean I did go through the 80s lol.

SheBear74

Practically Family
crwritt said:
My son is headed for his first submarine "ride" starting tomorrow. He says it will
be a short ride, only 40 days.

My son will be 15 next month, he is torn between Navy and Air Force. He has been talking a lot lately about submarines. I am just trying to support what he wants, but as a Mom I kind freak out inside! lol He is in the Civil Air Patrol now, and boy do I hold my breath when he goes up in the glider or the plane. He loves it though :) Congrats to your son, you must be so proud!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
SheBear74 said:
I have a question about skirts. As far as where they sit. I don't wear hip huggers but most of my pants and skirts sit a couple inches below the belly button. I was adjusting a skirt this morning and instead of doing the sensible thing and pinning it I just ran it though my serger. Now it sits just above my belly button, looks cute but feels weird. So question is, where do most of the waist lines on the vintage patterns sit? Above or below belly button? If it is above I can get used to that, I mean I did go through the 80s lol.
The waist line on 30's through 50's usually sits above the belly button at the smallest part of the waist.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
deadpandiva said:
The waist line...smallest part of the waist.

Bingo!
Modern clothing has fooled a lot of gals and guys into thinking their waistline is their mid hip area, SheBear74. No matter where on your body, the smallest area (or where you bend) is your waistline.

LD

crwritt

One Too Many
SheBear74 said:
My son will be 15 next month, he is torn between Navy and Air Force. He has been talking a lot lately about submarines. I am just trying to support what he wants, but as a Mom I kind freak out inside! lol He is in the Civil Air Patrol now, and boy do I hold my breath when he goes up in the glider or the plane. He loves it though :) Congrats to your son, you must be so proud!
Thank you. We are proud of him and so glad he decided what he wanted to do.
Most of all, don't we want our kids to be happy in life, whichever path that takes them on?

SheBear74

Practically Family
crwritt said:
Thank you. We are proud of him and so glad he decided what he wanted to do.
Most of all, don't we want our kids to be happy in life, whichever path that takes them on?

I really do want him to be happy, and I am very proud of him, sometimes I wish I could just wrap him in bubble wrap and keep him safe. lol I think the CAP has been a great experience for him, I would have loved to do that at his age. :)

Deadpandiva, and LD thanks! That's good to know. Here I thought my waist was bigger than it really is ;)

cordelia

New in Town
Hi !
Do some of you sew with patterns created by yourself ?
I ask this, because methods exist to create patterns, some of them come from 40 50, and i continue to use them.
I have some of them in spanish, and of course, line jaque in french(perfect method !, around 1950 approximatively !)
I'm french so i excuse for my approximative english.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I kinda cheated on this one. It's supposed to have buttons down the back, but with a 2.5 year old running around I took the easy way out and put in a zipper. Oh and I didn't get enough fabric so I had to leave off the pockets! That's an easy fix later though. :)

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjMtMjAxMDA1MTYtMTIwM.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy