Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

crwritt

One Too Many
This is the s&s swing dress pattern i made a few years ago.
IMG_0289-1.jpg

I haven't put it on in awhile, I just don't wear dresses with sleeves I guess.You can't really see the waist detail
with the dark print, maybe some piping would work to play that up.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I think I may have to get that Sense and Sensabilty pattern. It's really cute.
Amy Jeanne- That's a really cute House Dress. I have my eye on a similar pattern.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer

BoPeep

Practically Family
Love these last few photos of the S&S swing dress . . . everyone has different hair! lol Kamikat and crwritt, I like the long styles on you. And Inky, you do brunette very well!

AmyJeanne, you've got the perfect picnic dress there! Really great fabric!

crwritt

One Too Many
BoPeep said:
Love these last few photos of the S&S swing dress . . . everyone has different hair! lol Kamikat and crwritt, I like the long styles on you. And Inky, you do brunette very well!

AmyJeanne, you've got the perfect picnic dress there! Really great fabric!

I guess this just shows that time has gone by for all of us since we sewed or modeled these dresses. As for me, that picture was taken before my hairdresser retired, she did a great job for years!I think that picture is from three or four years ago. Looking at that picture, I'm tempted to let it grow that long again, and break out the hot rollers, although
I don't think I'll go back to twice monthly hair dye again, so I'll still have the gray.
I've spent the past year growing out that color and encouraging my natural curl.
I do like to see both Inky and Kamikat with those other hairstyles. We do change over the years.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Rockapin-up said:
Try this pattern, Simplicity 3780 it's similiar. vhttp://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=18510

Thank you so much!!!

Photobud

New in Town
kymeratale said:
Photobud and anyone else who has used this pattern, opinions? Is it a tie-back? How well does it get the era? I like the look, but I wonder if it is vintage enough, or might run the risk of looking like a regular modern dress. I suppose the fabric choice would be a biggy.

Photobud, how well does the waist inset show up in real life? I like that part in particular, but in your photo, it doesn't show up very strongly.
I liked the pattern, it was easy once I figured out the shoulder piece. It is a tie back, i think it fits the era pretty well, but yes, that would also depend on your fabric choice.
I like the inset but indeed it doesn't show up well, I think, soilds would reveal it more, but some contrast stitching or piping would make it stand out if that's your desired effect.

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
I was watching an old episode of mad men a couple days ago, saw a bright orange pencil skirt and I just had to have one. I chose to tone down the color a bit, it's a creamsicle (sp?) kind of color in real life. I'm still fiddling with fit but most of the wrinkles are from my shirt and it hasn't been hemmed, but ooh I like it.
Photo_00041.jpg

I was just about done, when I made one terribly aimed snip at a thread hanging from a dart, and cut a hole in it in the back :( I'm not sure if it's cute or weird yet, but my solution? Little bows!
Photo_00042.jpg

And I'm holding out for a lighter zipper, but this will have to do for now!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
I'm the plus-sized model on the pattern website. I've made several of them. The designer used an actual vintage pattern as the base and made very few adjustments, other than grading the sizes. The waist inset depends mostly on color. If you choose a light color, it shows up nicely, but it tends to hide on darker colors. It does have a tie in the back. In my mind, how vintage or modern it looks depends on your fit. If you look at the pattern site and the S&S gallery, the more modern versions are much looser. If you take care to really fit the shoulders and neckline area and use shoulder pads, it will give a more authentic look.

Ha, I thought you looked familiar! I recognized Casey and was pretty sure I recognized you. Thanks for the advice Kamikat, I think I will give it a try.

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
Okey dokey this one is vogue 2401 which I made about a year ago, the most bizarre pattern I've ever tried to use. Still it turned out ok

Randomshots004.jpg

This one I've just finished the famous butterick 4790, for a supper club dance being held in a couple of weeks, I fill it a little better than the dress form having more boobage, but not entirely happy with the armholes gaping a bit.

Randomshots003.jpg

hopefully these pics work.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Made this as practice, but I am weird enough to wear it out and about lol. I am kind of wishing I hadn't used the green fabric. I think it makes it look a bit to 80's. Then again maybe I should go crazy and pair it with some green converse lol, maybe not...

utf-8BSU1HMDA0NDUtMjAxMDA3MDQtMTQzM.jpg

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
She Bear, TOOOOO cute! I love it! I think the green panels are very "make do and mend" 40s. Love that pea fabric and am wishing I had it to make the wrap dress I made yesterday instead of the yucky stuff I had!

spiff

New in Town
Inky said:
and here's my version of the S&S Swing dress in a rayon floral print

2958293273_bb73caa77c.jpg

Nice! You sort of look like Madonna in this photo. Like when she was in the movie A League of Their Own. I love that movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24