Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

spiff

New in Town
Simplicity 1016

red+40's+dress.jpg

simp+1016.jpg

This came together quick and easy. I especially love how flattering it is without having to wrangle myself into any shapewear at all!

SheBear74

Practically Family
spiff said:
red+40's+dress.jpg

simp+1016.jpg

This came together quick and easy. I especially love how flattering it is without having to wrangle myself into any shapewear at all!

That is really cute, and I am dig'in your shoes too!

SheBear74

Practically Family
Wire9Vintage said:
She Bear, TOOOOO cute! I love it! I think the green panels are very "make do and mend" 40s. Love that pea fabric and am wishing I had it to make the wrap dress I made yesterday instead of the yucky stuff I had!

Thanks! :)

BoPeep

Practically Family
40'sfetish said:
This one I've just finished the famous butterick 4790, for a supper club dance being held in a couple of weeks, I fill it a little better than the dress form having more boobage, but not entirely happy with the armholes gaping a bit.

Randomshots003.jpg

Don't worry, you're not the only one who's had problems with the armholes. I added small snaps in the armpits (right on the trim) to keep the armhole from shifting/gaping. It helped a bit. I've never seen one in satin though. It really takes the style from day dress to party dress! And your first dress is lovely too. Wool?

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
She Bear... I need new glasses! That's not green peas at all. Alligators! Right? (yeah... making an appointment first thing in the morning with the eye doctor!)

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
BoPeep said:
Don't worry, you're not the only one who's had problems with the armholes. I added small snaps in the armpits (right on the trim) to keep the armhole from shifting/gaping. It helped a bit. I've never seen one in satin though. It really takes the style from day dress to party dress! And your first dress is lovely too. Wool?

Great idea with the snaps, I'll do that. I wasn't sure I'd wear the satin, it is very shiny shiny, but hey what the hell.

The second dress is a lightweight wool blend. Next time if I muster up enough courage to do that one again I'll do it in a lighter weight fabric, the heavier weight does make the tie at the front quite bulky to knot.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Wire9Vintage said:
She Bear... I need new glasses! That's not green peas at all. Alligators! Right? (yeah... making an appointment first thing in the morning with the eye doctor!)

Lol I thought you where talking about the color! Yeah those are alligators :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Butterick 5214 sorry about the over the top patriotism but we were swing dancing in the 4th of July parade...

I made this one before (ok so I'm not quite done yet) in a size bigger and I'm pulling it in on the sides. even the smaller one has kind of a weird pucker above the bust and as a test I tried putting in tiny darts but it looked ohso wrong. so I went for the body tape, in the back too to hide the black bra (didn't have a white one that would work). it looked a little better that way and helped in terms of containment. sad that I'm not quite done, still need to put in the buttons, it was 0300 when I finished the jacket and I had to be up at 0530 and there was no way I was going to try to read the buttonhole instructions on the new machine at that hour

crwritt

One Too Many
HepKitty said:
Butterick 5214 sorry about the over the top patriotism but we were swing dancing in the 4th of July parade...

I made this one before (ok so I'm not quite done yet) in a size bigger and I'm pulling it in on the sides. even the smaller one has kind of a weird pucker above the bust and as a test I tried putting in tiny darts but it looked ohso wrong. so I went for the body tape, in the back too to hide the black bra (didn't have a white one that would work). it looked a little better that way and helped in terms of containment. sad that I'm not quite done, still need to put in the buttons, it was 0300 when I finished the jacket and I had to be up at 0530 and there was no way I was going to try to read the buttonhole instructions on the new machine at that hour

Great pictures! You look like you're having such fun, I love the glasses.
I think if you take a little dart in the pattern paper along the outer edge of the strap, the fit will improve. Also stitch bra cups into the dress, so much more comfy.

HepKitty

One Too Many
it's the jacket, I'll try to post some pix of each on the form

lol he's a sweetie, too bad I'm an old hag with kids huh?

HepKitty

One Too Many
crwritt said:
Great pictures! You look like you're having such fun, I love the glasses.
I think if you take a little dart in the pattern paper along the outer edge of the strap, the fit will improve. Also stitch bra cups into the dress, so much more comfy.

we had a ton of fun :) I know the glasses are more 50s but they're red that's patriotic right?

bra cups were suggested but I'm terrified of the thought. but if I sewed an actual strapless in, sew in the front and leave the back hooks free, I might feel a bit more secure... I prefer bras of steel even though I'm not huge lol

crwritt

One Too Many
HepKitty said:
we had a ton of fun :) I know the glasses are more 50s but they're red that's patriotic right?

bra cups were suggested but I'm terrified of the thought. but if I sewed an actual strapless in, sew in the front and leave the back hooks free, I might feel a bit more secure... I prefer bras of steel even though I'm not huge lol

I've done that before. It works.

lareine

A-List Customer
That suit is AWESOME.

In fact, everything on this thread is awesome. It's so inspirational. I found a vintage pattern in my size (a 1950s Academy pattern, made in New Zealand) and am going to give it a go soon. I want to be able to join in with everyone else here :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Salsanadia that suit is gorgeous! what pattern did you use, or did you use one?

PS thanks everyone, I'll have better pix of the outfit soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24