Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
swinggal said:
Im a 36 bust too.
I always assume that everyone is at least two sizes smaller than me. :)
I will keep my eyes out for a size 18 and if I ever get some of my other projects done I would be happy to make you a copy. I am just the slowest person on earth when it comes to things like that.

Lorelai99

One of the Regulars
deadpandiva said:
abutt7837.jpg

Love that pattern!!!

swinggal

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
I always assume that everyone is at least two sizes smaller than me. :)
I will keep my eyes out for a size 18 and if I ever get some of my other projects done I would be happy to make you a copy. I am just the slowest person on earth when it comes to things like that.

Haha, it's the boobs, I'm thinnish below but the boobs get me ;) You are a sweetie. I would love it and would pay you for it of course. I'll keep looking online too in the mean time.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Swinggal, I have the same problem, a full bust on a narrow body, and have bought patterns that measure both my full bust (36") and my high bust (34"), so either a size 18 or a size 16 and always find that the size 18 is too wide across the back.

I usually find it easier to buy according to my high bust and then just let it out as I usually get a pattern that fits my shoulders and back properly then.

I don't know if you have tried it this way, but I find it better.

I'm having an absolute nightmare with a size 18 at the moment I've had to take nearly 3 inches out the back, both vertically and by moving the whole armhole in and it's still too baggy!! It's got the point where I'm basically redrafting the back bodice from scratch!! :eusa_doh:

Do you other ladies buy your full or high bust sized patterns?

I'm no good at grading up or down yet so I'm not able to just pick any pattern and just go for it!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
AllaboutEve said:
Swinggal,

Do you other ladies buy your full or high bust sized patterns?
You should always buy your high bust measurement if you are larger than a C cup, sometimes even if you are a C but of tiny frame. It's much easier to add to a pattern than take away. I have a small frame, so even though my full bust is 46, I usually buy 38 because that's what fits from the top of the armhole up.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
True, but the most difficult part to fit is the shoulders and upper bust.

All that below the boobies is easy with strategically placed slashes. I always grade my patterns (hence the mock up first) but I rarely have to worry about the shoulders if I use a 40 bust pattern.

Maybe its just us big gals. :rolleyes:

LD

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Here is a butterick 1960s pattern I made
IMG_0978.jpg

Here is a Butterick 1950s pattern I made and purchased only a couple of weeks before it was discontinued
28259_409931473275_315573078275_430.jpg

34013_10150219789890355_505185354_1.jpg

28259_409931468275_315573078275_430.jpg

Here is a 1940s butterick pattern that can be both short or halter (I have made a bunch of these dresses, I think it is my favorite one right now)
here it is in halter
35988_406389414982_504669982_442222.jpg

and here I am with the group I am part of The Pinup Angels I am the one in the blue and peacock dress, i also made the yellow dress in these pictures
34809_1444303819848_1000703420_3133.jpg

34809_1444303659844_1000703420_3133.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
deadpandiva said:
Those dresses are pretty Grant Fan. I love the top one. The fit and fabric are perfect.
Thank you so much I like that one a lot too I just never wear it. My favorite it the peacock one but I have an odd obsession with peacock feathers

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
kamikat said:
You should always buy your high bust measurement if you are larger than a C cup, sometimes even if you are a C but of tiny frame. It's much easier to add to a pattern than take away. I have a small frame, so even though my full bust is 46, I usually buy 38 because that's what fits from the top of the armhole up.

Thanks Kamikat,that's the reassurance that I was after! :)

I thought I'd be smart and buy a button up dress in a 36 as I figured that I could alter it on the button panel, which in hind sight was incredibly stupid, but my oh my what a nightmare I have had fitting the back! I'm nearly there but it's cost me about 3 full afternoons and about 3 yards of muslin and a whole sheet of pattern tissue!!!!

I'm a 30FF/G in the boob department so I'd really got tired of having to let out patterns that I'd attempted but I have well and truly learned my lesson this time and will never buy a 36 again!!

I'm only 33 above the bust, so would you mind if is asked if you would advise buying a 34" or a 32"?

I have a big butt to match the boobs lol so I'd need to alter the rest of the pattern which ever way I go, but altering from the waist down has never been a trial for me!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
AllaboutEve said:
I'm only 33 above the bust, so would you mind if is asked if you would advise buying a 34" or a 32"?
Do you have broad shoulders? If so, 34 might work better. If you are slight, ie less than 5'5", small hands, small shoe size, ect, 32 might work better. It also depends on the style. Fifties dresses are drafted for a more forward projection of the bust and all I have to do is add 2in to the side seams to get mine to fit. Thirties and forties patterns are drafted for less curvy figure and I have to do a full bust adjustment, as well as add to the side seams.

Lauren said:
Ooh! Kamikat, that's adorable!! Love the patterns, too :)

I just finished my shirtwaist dress. Yay! I am pretty happy I remembered to cut the sleeves to match my stripes with the bodice :) More on this project on my blog.
stripedress1.jpg

stripedress2.jpg

Oh, I'm in love! Agreeing with the thoughts of the previous posters, when I say I always admire how your things look like genuine vintage. I so admire your fabric selections!!:eusa_clap

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Do you have broad shoulders? If so, 34 might work better. If you are slight, ie less than 5'5", small hands, small shoe size, ect, 32 might work better. It also depends on the style. Fifties dresses are drafted for a more forward projection of the bust and all I have to do is add 2in to the side seams to get mine to fit. Thirties and forties patterns are drafted for less curvy figure and I have to do a full bust adjustment, as well as add to the side seams.

Thanks Kamikat, that's all really useful information!
I'm medium to small in frame but I suppose the best way for me to try it out, is to try it out. Like you say the way that patterns were drafted over the years varied so it is likely that I may have to make different variations.
I've bought a couple of 40's patterns in a size 34 for cheap and will see how they go.
One thing is for sure though, no more size 18!!!!!!!
After all that faffing I've done with the back I'm still going to have to do a full bust alteration after all as the armhole gapes at the front so I have saved myself no time at all and just bought myself a whole heap of trouble to the bargain.
This really has been sent to teach me a lesson! lol
Thanks again for all of your words of wisdom.
XX

Lauren - That striped dress of yours is just so wonderful that it's one of the things that inspired me to start sewing again. I love how you have managed to match the fabric to the envelope illustration so well.

zendy

A-List Customer
Spats

I make these all the time, but I came up with a new nautical design that I'm really in love with :D

il_fullxfull.158236158.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ