Show us what you've made!

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Lady Day, Jul 14, 2006.

1. deadpandiva

deadpandiva Call Me a Cab

I always assume that everyone is at least two sizes smaller than me. :)
    I will keep my eyes out for a size 18 and if I ever get some of my other projects done I would be happy to make you a copy. I am just the slowest person on earth when it comes to things like that.

2. Miss Sis

Miss Sis One Too Many

Ah, DPD, you couldn't have as many projects as me backed up. At least you get things made!!!

I have made a 30s cotton voile evening dress but the pics I have don't show any detail, so I'll have to take some more before I can post.

3. Lorelai99

Lorelai99 One of the Regulars

Love that pattern!!!

4. swinggal

swinggal One Too Many

Haha, it's the boobs, I'm thinnish below but the boobs get me ;) You are a sweetie. I would love it and would pay you for it of course. I'll keep looking online too in the mean time.

5. AllaboutEve

AllaboutEve Practically Family

Swinggal, I have the same problem, a full bust on a narrow body, and have bought patterns that measure both my full bust (36") and my high bust (34"), so either a size 18 or a size 16 and always find that the size 18 is too wide across the back.

I usually find it easier to buy according to my high bust and then just let it out as I usually get a pattern that fits my shoulders and back properly then.

I don't know if you have tried it this way, but I find it better.

I'm having an absolute nightmare with a size 18 at the moment I've had to take nearly 3 inches out the back, both vertically and by moving the whole armhole in and it's still too baggy!! It's got the point where I'm basically redrafting the back bodice from scratch!! :eusa_doh:

Do you other ladies buy your full or high bust sized patterns?

I'm no good at grading up or down yet so I'm not able to just pick any pattern and just go for it!

6. Miss Sis

Miss Sis One Too Many

I measure about 37" around the fullest part of my bust but am narrow under the ribcage. I tend to buy 34" patterns but sometimes I still have to take them in. [huh]

7. kamikat

kamikat Call Me a Cab

You should always buy your high bust measurement if you are larger than a C cup, sometimes even if you are a C but of tiny frame. It's much easier to add to a pattern than take away. I have a small frame, so even though my full bust is 46, I usually buy 38 because that's what fits from the top of the armhole up.

8. swinggal

swinggal One Too Many

Hmm...if I used my high bust measurement I doubt the rest of the dress would fit. :(

9. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

True, but the most difficult part to fit is the shoulders and upper bust.

All that below the boobies is easy with strategically placed slashes. I always grade my patterns (hence the mock up first) but I rarely have to worry about the shoulders if I use a 40 bust pattern.

Maybe its just us big gals. :rolleyes:

LD

10. Grant Fan

Grant Fan Practically Family

Here is a butterick 1960s pattern I made
    [​IMG]

Here is a Butterick 1950s pattern I made and purchased only a couple of weeks before it was discontinued
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a 1940s butterick pattern that can be both short or halter (I have made a bunch of these dresses, I think it is my favorite one right now)
    here it is in halter
    [​IMG]
    and here I am with the group I am part of The Pinup Angels I am the one in the blue and peacock dress, i also made the yellow dress in these pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. deadpandiva

deadpandiva Call Me a Cab

Those dresses are pretty Grant Fan. I love the top one. The fit and fabric are perfect.

12. Grant Fan

Grant Fan Practically Family

Thank you so much I like that one a lot too I just never wear it. My favorite it the peacock one but I have an odd obsession with peacock feathers

13. AllaboutEve

Thanks Kamikat,that's the reassurance that I was after! :)

I thought I'd be smart and buy a button up dress in a 36 as I figured that I could alter it on the button panel, which in hind sight was incredibly stupid, but my oh my what a nightmare I have had fitting the back! I'm nearly there but it's cost me about 3 full afternoons and about 3 yards of muslin and a whole sheet of pattern tissue!!!!

I'm a 30FF/G in the boob department so I'd really got tired of having to let out patterns that I'd attempted but I have well and truly learned my lesson this time and will never buy a 36 again!!

I'm only 33 above the bust, so would you mind if is asked if you would advise buying a 34" or a 32"?

I have a big butt to match the boobs lol so I'd need to alter the rest of the pattern which ever way I go, but altering from the waist down has never been a trial for me!

14. kamikat

kamikat Call Me a Cab

Do you have broad shoulders? If so, 34 might work better. If you are slight, ie less than 5'5", small hands, small shoe size, ect, 32 might work better. It also depends on the style. Fifties dresses are drafted for a more forward projection of the bust and all I have to do is add 2in to the side seams to get mine to fit. Thirties and forties patterns are drafted for less curvy figure and I have to do a full bust adjustment, as well as add to the side seams.

15. Kitty_Sheridan

Kitty_Sheridan Practically Family

Grantfan! gorgeous! loving those dresses, I have a thing for peacock prints!
    :eusa_clap

16. SheBear74

SheBear74 Practically Family

Grant Fan, those are some beautiful dresses, and wonderful pictures!

17. Oh, I'm in love! Agreeing with the thoughts of the previous posters, when I say I always admire how your things look like genuine vintage. I so admire your fabric selections!!:eusa_clap

18. AllaboutEve

Thanks Kamikat, that's all really useful information!
    I'm medium to small in frame but I suppose the best way for me to try it out, is to try it out. Like you say the way that patterns were drafted over the years varied so it is likely that I may have to make different variations.
    I've bought a couple of 40's patterns in a size 34 for cheap and will see how they go.
    One thing is for sure though, no more size 18!!!!!!!
    After all that faffing I've done with the back I'm still going to have to do a full bust alteration after all as the armhole gapes at the front so I have saved myself no time at all and just bought myself a whole heap of trouble to the bargain.
    This really has been sent to teach me a lesson! lol
    Thanks again for all of your words of wisdom.
    XX

Lauren - That striped dress of yours is just so wonderful that it's one of the things that inspired me to start sewing again. I love how you have managed to match the fabric to the envelope illustration so well.

19. HepKitty

HepKitty One Too Many

beautiful dresses GrantFan! I have all 3 patterns but have only made the 40s dress so far, the short sleeve version. it's here, in the family photo

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10188&page=258

on the 60s one I love the bows and want to make the full skirt one out of pink satin (cheap, test dress) then have black shantung for the tighter version. just need the time... *sigh*

20. zendy

zendy A-List Customer

Spats

I make these all the time, but I came up with a new nautical design that I'm really in love with :D

[​IMG]