Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have both the original and the repro of this pattern and I haven't decided which version to make. I have compared the pattern pieces for both versions and they are very different.

ohhhh man, that's so annoying! I finished making the dress on Wednesday and it didn't turn out brilliantly (though I am a perfectionist ;) ). Now I wish I'd sought out the original! I expected that the reprint pattern would be easier to fit and use but we had real trouble. I've only made two other things, but I was surprised that I found my 50s/60s patterns easier to use, make and fit than this modern one. Don't know if you read my blog post, but it took a lot of fiddling with the bodice, and it still doesn't sit right. Other than that we followed the instructions *exactly*. Obviously everyone's body is different, and it is a lovely pattern, but from my experience, don't expect it to be the best-fitting dress you'll ever make, at least if you use the reprint one!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Oh no, I always lost out on the originals so bought the repro as well. How disappointing to hear the pieces are different.
I know! Don't be completely discouraged though. It is a lovely style and my attempt definitely wasn't a failure... I'm just not 100% happy with it. I will probably put pics of the dress up on my blog, so perhaps you might be interested to see how the finished garment came out. I'll definitely wear it, it's just disappointing that so much work went into it for a less-than-perfect result!

P.S., has anyone here made Butterick Retro B5556? I have that one lined up and given my experience with the previous one I wondered if anyone who had made a finished dress from this pattern could give me any pointers.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I tried to make that dress as well. I worked on the bodice a bit and decided not to bother. I really wasn't liking how it was turning out and wasn't going to waste any more fabric on it. :p

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I tried to make that dress as well. I worked on the bodice a bit and decided not to bother. I really wasn't liking how it was turning out and wasn't going to waste any more fabric on it. :p

Do you mean the tie-shoulder one, or the other one I posted about? B5556. Just checking, I'm paranoid that the other pattern won't come out right either, and I've got six and a half metres of fabric waiting for it! :p

SheBear74

Practically Family
Do you mean the tie-shoulder one, or the other one I posted about? B5556. Just checking, I'm paranoid that the other pattern won't come out right either, and I've got six and a half metres of fabric waiting for it! :p

Oops sorry! I am talking about the shoulder tie one. :)

SheBear74

Practically Family
We had gotten in some new photography backdrops so we where goofing around. I had my husband take some apron pictures for me. I love this picture though. lol
samapron.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
I have both the original and the repro of this pattern and I haven't decided which version to make. I have compared the pattern pieces for both versions and they are very different.

I'd check the reviews on Pattern Review before getting out the scissors. Not many people were happy with the design
and especially the bodice, which to me is the most interesting part of this dress. Maybe you could try the original and the new one in muslin and show us?

Its very sad to me that they would use the original illustration but redraft the pattern, very misleading.

Last edited:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Not many people were happy with the design
and especially the bodice

do you mean of the reprint pattern? If so, that's really interesting, and somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone, and that it's not something I did wrong! I was on the verge of tears when I tried it on after five solid days of making the damn thing! It was that frustrating! :p

BTW SheBear, what an adorable photo! :)

crwritt

One Too Many
do you mean of the reprint pattern? If so, that's really interesting, and somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone, and that it's not something I did wrong! I was on the verge of tears when I tried it on after five solid days of making the damn thing! It was that frustrating! :p

BTW SheBear, what an adorable photo! :)

Here is a link to reviews of the pattern ob Pattern Review http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi...atternid=51007&CompanyID=5&PatternNumber=5708

DameWhoDrinks

Familiar Face
I wish I had taken the hat with ne to get a better pic, but alas. This was a project that myself and two others worked on. We had a pillbox base, covered in in a blue polysatin, covered it in feathers and covered the whole thing with a ripped up shower pouch. Some sequined ribbon around the bottom, and two flowers that were put on without my knowledge.
Matches my muumuu preeeettty well
417089_2387452385710_1747767530_n.jpg

itsalovelyday

New in Town
Hello all! I've been working through this thread for weeks admiring everyone's handiwork.

Here are my two contributions: First, this year's Easter dress from Vintage Vogue 8789 (I'm not a brat, I promise, I just had my wisdom teeth out two days prior!)
Dress1.jpg

And a slightly modified version of Vintage Vogue 2961 for springtime. I love this dress so very much.
photo44.jpg

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wish I had taken the hat with ne to get a better pic, but alas. This was a project that myself and two others worked on. We had a pillbox base, covered in in a blue polysatin, covered it in feathers and covered the whole thing with a ripped up shower pouch. Some sequined ribbon around the bottom, and two flowers that were put on without my knowledge.
Matches my muumuu preeeettty well
417089_2387452385710_1747767530_n.jpg

Is this a production of 'Hairspray'?! AWESOME!!!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Hello all! I've been working through this thread for weeks admiring everyone's handiwork.

Here are my two contributions: First, this year's Easter dress from Vintage Vogue 8789 (I'm not a brat, I promise, I just had my wisdom teeth out two days prior!)
Dress1.jpg

aaah I'm in love with this! If I didn't have a pile of patterns lined up ready to go I'd be hunting down this one ASAP!

Lovely, perfectly accessorised too! Well done! :)

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I made this from butterick patter 5603
B5603.jpg

I made it using the pattern for black and white dress I just didn't use the shoulder bows. I have bigish shoulders and didn't want to make them bigger by adding a bow to the top of them.
June222012001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21