Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
thank you so much everyone :eek:
MissSis- I think I'm addicted to these now! I'd love to see one you made!

KittyT- FABULOUS! Great job, and it came out so perfect!

$ally

One Too Many
Lovely work girls!
957011423_b6ba522151_o.jpg

957011387_41b30d83ee_o.jpg

I made many Tiki box purses last summer. It's very easy.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I don't remember if I was active here when this was going on, so I'll mention it just in case. Two years ago, the owner of Sense and Sensiblity asked her frequent buyers to make and model samples for her new paper catalog. I made a swing dress and the Edwardian jacket. On the swing page, I'm the plus-sized gal by the railroad tracks. The location was a great, old train station. The paper catalog as pics of me running down the track, waving a hat, purched on some vintage luggage, ect.
http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/swing.htm
The Edwardian jacket isn't as flattering and was a pain in the you know what. We got really lucky and found someone with an old Ford for a prop.
http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/edwardian.htm

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
My mom is a great seamstress... and all that time I spent growing up, I never wanted to learn to sew :-/

I was the same way too. She was a pro seamstress for about 4 years. I never wanted to learn. Then when she died a few years ago, I just took it up. Now I use her machine and make most of my stuff with it.

Okay, back on topic :rolleyes:

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
I was the same way too. She was a pro seamstress for about 4 years. I never wanted to learn. Then when she died a few years ago, I just took it up. Now I use her machine and make most of my stuff with it.

Okay, back on topic :rolleyes:

LD

Aw, this makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :eek:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
kamikat said:
I don't remember if I was active here when this was going on, so I'll mention it just in case. Two years ago, the owner of Sense and Sensiblity asked her frequent buyers to make and model samples for her new paper catalog. I made a swing dress and the Edwardian jacket. On the swing page, I'm the plus-sized gal by the railroad tracks. The location was a great, old train station. The paper catalog as pics of me running down the track, waving a hat, purched on some vintage luggage, ect.
The Edwardian jacket isn't as flattering and was a pain in the you know what. We got really lucky and found someone with an old Ford for a prop.

Wow Kamikat, worlds collide! I love Jennie's site--the catalog and your photos are both fab.

kerry

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:

Hi Kamikat, I thought I recognised you. Im just making the swing dress at the moment. When my hubby and I looked at Jennies website we both thought you looked the best in the swing dress. Its a lovely pattern for us curvy girls.
Just got to do the hem and Ive finished it.
Kerry

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A crop of things

Its been a while since Ive posted and you ladies have out done yourself in all your projects! :eusa_clap

Here is a close up of the hat I made and the same one I am wearing in my avatar...the vail is detachable.
DSC00642.jpg

Here is another pill box I made as well.
DSC00640.jpg

I also have one in tan but Im gonna put some sort of crazy ribbon on that one.

This is my first venture into velvet. Its dased on that day jacket pattern I mae a while back, except I gave this one double pleats and pleated the collar, and its fully lined...

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

Thats it for now. My next project is another garter belt ;)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Dottie said:
I totally agree! In fact I was going to buy that pattern based on how amazing you looked in it!

Thanks for the sewing inspiration!

Wow! Thanks, ladies! You made me blush. I think the authentic hair and make-up helped. I also noticed (on all the models, not just the swing dress) that many of the dresses had too much ease. I came into vintage sewing from sewing for historical reenactment, where you fit everything very close to the corseted figure. Most of the models for the S&S catalog use the patterns as adapted for modern wear, meaning no foundation garments and more ease. For the swing dress, I had a proper girdle and a vintage bra (yes, it was hard to find in my size). That made all the difference in the world!

ShortClara

One Too Many
Yes, Lady Day, I am tres impressed! And that black velvet coat - shut up! Just sumptuous.

I wish I had time to sew again - but other hobbies and such are drawing my time away. I *will* make a dress soon!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
goldwyn girl said:
One of my latest, brocade sarong.

843889-R1-07-9_008.jpg

Gorgeous, Goldwyn Girl! That color is fantastic on you.

I will keep plugging away at sewing until I can finally make lovely things like this for myself. You are an inspiration!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24