Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Enchanted Evening Barbie

Here is my latest creation. It is my newest Burlesque costume and is designed to look like the 1960 Enchanted Evening Barbie! I made this with no pattern and I thought it turned out pretty well.. concidering. :) Not the greatest photo of me, but it is still neat!

enchantedevening.jpg

IMG_5041b.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Lolita, that is FABULOUS! I remember wanting that dress SO bad when I was growing up!

The turban's easy- just a long strip of fabric- I did mine about 2.5 yards long by 12" wide, then sewed along the ends and length and flipped it inside out. After that it's just all in the wrapping! I tucked up my hair in a french twish then wrapped it and tucked in the ends. It's really easy and so nice not to have to do a fancy hairdo- though I bet it would be cute with a cascade of curls coming out of it, too :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lauren--Did you make that outfit from the latest pattern you posted? You look so great!

Lolita--Saw your picture of the "Barbie" dress and audibly said "oooh!". That pink is a really nice match to the original.

ssubialdea--I'd have never known that was your first time with embroidery, lovely work

Lauren

No, I actually drafted that one, then found the pattern on Ebay the day after I drafted it! Haha... guess I get two different sets now :) Thank you so much!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lauren, amazing as always. That photo truly looks vintage.

Lolita, stunning dress! You did a marvelous job and the FIT is devine! :eek: I saw it in the hair thread. What kind of dress form do you use? I'm just in awe, perfect copy. But when a hand made garment fits like that, it's like being your very own HIGH END fashion designer. The difference between looking like you made your dress and looking like you paid $$$$$$ for it, ya know!?

Ssubialdea, great blankies. Nice to see someone embroidering!

Can't wait to see finished pics of others mentioned!
NIkki

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lauren... Thank you. I have been wanting to make this dress for about a year now. I am so happy it is complete. I now have the Solo in the Spotlight dress and the Enchanted Evening dress. My next project is the black and white striped swimsuit! Thanks for the hint on the turban. Now I know what do do with the extra fabric I have!!

Ssubialdea... Those baby blankets are too cute!

Imoldfashioned... Thank you so much! Looking back I wish I got the pink that was slightly lighter, but this color fabric was on sale and I am a cheapo. LOL I am really happy with the way it turned out! :)

Goldwyn Girl... Hehehehe I shall take over the Barbie Universe! Hahaha Do they cosplay barbie?

Ohairas... Actually, I used no pattern nor did I use a dress form. I basically undid the Barbie dress and tried to freehand the peice lifesize on my fabric. I then modified it to fit. I used my own body as a dressform if you will. Putting it on, marking it, taking off, alter, repeat! Oy! In fact, I made a bit of a boo-boo in my draft that made the skirt part too small to wrap around my body fully, but since it is my Burlesque costume, it worked better for the break away. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Well, I finally finished the first thing I've ever made from a pattern... starting off easy, I chose an apron, as I couldn't get what I wanted on ebay for a price that seemed acceptable to me.

Here's the pattern I used:
pattern.jpg

I made a lot of changes to the pattern which was perhaps a bit ambitious for my first project, but the result was that I ended up with what I wanted. I left off all the ruffles, used seam binding for a vintage effect, widened the waistband, made the straps tie around the neck instead of buttoning to the waistband in the back (I've never done buttonholes anyway). I made the bib into a single piece (instead of a smaller piece with the straps attached to each side) and added a bib lining, to which I attached the straps.

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

It's not perfect, and the lining piece is a little crooked, but overall, I'm pleased with it. It was quite a learning experience and required many phone calls to mom, but now I know how to edge stitch (better than I could before, in any case), stitch in the ditch, slip stitch and I was even able to get the pattern matched in most places.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren said:
I made these today :) The pants, sash and turban.
l_48a83e15f64c746b4c9adfe88fa1d40c.jpg

Hey Lauren, is that sash just a straight piece of fabric, or are there slits on its sides. Im looking for a good belt like alternative.

It all looks great ladies!

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
Well, I finally finished the first thing I've ever made from a pattern... starting off easy, I chose an apron, as I couldn't get what I wanted on ebay for a price that seemed acceptable to me.

It looks great!

three cheers for us learning to sew folks actually making stuff!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lauren

Lady Day, thanks! It's a straight length of fabric, but in retrospect I wish I had done it on the bias. There's no slights- just a tube of fabric I finished the ends on. I think I'm addicted to them now! Doubles as a Turban and a belt :)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
KittyT said:

pattern.jpg

I made a lot of changes to the pattern which was perhaps a bit ambitious for my first project, but the result was that I ended up with what I wanted. I left off all the ruffles, used seam binding for a vintage effect, widened the waistband, made the straps tie around the neck instead of buttoning to the waistband in the back (I've never done buttonholes anyway). I made the bib into a single piece (instead of a smaller piece with the straps attached to each side) and added a bib lining, to which I attached the straps.

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

It's not perfect, and the lining piece is a little crooked, but overall, I'm pleased with it. It was quite a learning experience and required many phone calls to mom, but now I know how to edge stitch (better than I could before, in any case), stitch in the ditch, slip stitch and I was even able to get the pattern matched in most places.

KittyT, your apron is fabulous and making all those changes on your first item was ambitious, well done :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You will have no problem progressing to further projects.

Amelie

A-List Customer
Kitty you apron is so very lovely! I think I'll have to go and buy that pattern and do just as you did! I'm in love with it!! :D

Lauren: this outfit is gorgeous, just as always !

LolitaHaze: I also loved that dress the first time I saw that doll, you would drive jealous a lot of barbie fans in that dress! :rolleyes:

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
thanks everyone for the nice compliments on the blankies! I really had fun making them, I wish I had more time to sew.

Lauren: I love the outfit, the turban looks great on you. I don't know that I could pull one off.

KittyT: Your apron looks great. Congrats on working with a pattern, I've always found them difficult to work with but you did a great job! Oh and be careful making aprons, they are addictive. I bought a vintage waist apron a while back and loved the style so I used it as a pattern to make a bunch more, very fun and great as gifts too.

Lolita: amazing!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
DSCF0123.jpg

That's a great apron Kitty! Kudos to you for using seambinding, lining and edgestitching on your first apron project--nice that you had your mom to act as a reference too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
nice that you had your mom to act as a reference too.[/QUOTE]

My mom is a great seamstress... and all that time I spent growing up, I never wanted to learn to sew :-/

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Lauren: Your photos always look so authentic. I especially like the slightly oversaturated look here that just screams 1940s to me. Your trousers and turban project turned out beautifully! (P.S. Cute shoes.)

KittyT: That apron is absolutely amazing. I would never have pegged it as your first sewing project. My first projects (at age 9) were doll clothes for my Cabbage Patch doll, and they certainly didn't have the "finished" look that you've achieved here. Great work!

Sylvia: I love your baby blankets. They look so cute and snuggly, and I'm sure your friend really appreciated them.

Lolita: Burlesque Barbie! The gown you made is gorgeous, and as Nikki noted, the fit is excellent.

Miss1933

New in Town
Miss Lauren, you look like a movie star!! I love the whole look and the colors.. It must be great to do your own clothes, not to mention the possibilities!! Swell job!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Great oufit, Lauren! The pic looks properly 40s.

I want to make an all in one beach oufit too, as well as a two piece jacket and trousers, just like my Nana had in the 30s. Got a few ideas, but so many sewing projects, so little time.....

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
KittyT said:

pattern.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

Kitty, that is just so cute. You did a great job. Very vintage looking. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21