Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Elaina

One Too Many
Dragging out the pattern for the jacket...you should be able to wit no problem. Comes in an upper front and sleeve, upper back and sleeve, lower front, lower back, facings and linings. Individual pieces there is no line to lengthen, but I don't see where it would be much of a problem.

As to my capris, I know what you're talking about, adding a gore, like one needs to do on some corsets. It wouldn't be noticeable at all, since I don't wear anything that high up on my body shirt wise. Right now I've kicked them (literally) into a corner, and they're not done being punished. Although that was not the only problem, the center front seam does something terribly unseemingly to my person, so the sides aren't the only problem. Even enlarging the sides didn't cure it (I did the gores in a contrasting fabric to see if it would help already) and it's a problem for me in the pattern itself. Part of the reason I seldom make pants from patterns. Sometimes the adjustment doesn't work. I have a petite body and a long inseam and crotch. It tends to make for an interesting construction in fitted pants. So I knew better then to make them, but oh well. Funny thing is, I don't like pants and I really don't like capris. My sister loved them anyway, and Christmas is around the corner. But thanks for the suggestion.

The shirt, on the other hand, IS awesome. Looks good, fits good, and went together great. I got this pattern for the shirt and I was happy with that.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Thanks for the warning on the Simplicity pattern. I'll be careful while sewing if it is ever in stock at either of my local JoAnn's.

You could lengthen that coat by a few inches with no problem. I wouldn't try for knee length unless you want to re-draft the whole pattern though.

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks ladies. I was thinking knee or a little below the knee length though, I think I may make a shorter version in that houndstooth, that is VERY cute.

Elaina, sorry about the capris. I hate when I work on something and it just doesn't come out well. :(

Elaina

One Too Many
Eh right now it's fine. I have an 11 year old sister who's 5 inches shorter and a few sizes smaller, so if I mess it up too bad, she's just as happy to get it and wear it. She's in Podunk, Tn (sorry no offense to you in TN), so her "latest fashion" is printed t's.

It's all about fashion at that age, and I have better taste then my mother, so she's like "What'd you mess up on for me this time?" I drag them all with me when I go and visit, and just hem and adjust if needed on my mom's machine.

So yea, bummer for me, party bonus for her.

AllaboutEve said:
Those are amazing CherryRed! They must take you a while to make!!!
Do you enjoy doing fiddly little things like I do?
I love sewing on tiny buttons and sewing tiny hems etc.
I LOVE the dotted swiss what a beautiful colour and what a gorgeous dress!!!!!
Have you ever checked out the little trimmings website?http://www.littletrimmings.com/
They have the tiniest of trims.

Thank you! And thank you for that link! I have been getting more and more agrivated at the lack of fine yarn that is apropriate for doll size knits and crochet. Love it!!

Rosie

One Too Many
I finished the dress just in time for tomorrow. :) I'll post a picture of me in it tomorrow at the party because

#1 The dress needs to be pressed, it looks kind of crummy.

#2 I need a dress form because the dress doesn't hang on the hanger the way it hangs on me. :eek:

IMG_0021-2.jpg

IMG_0022-1.jpg

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Caroline's simple Regency dress

I finished my daughter Caroline's costume for 10/31. It is the first garment I have made in a couple of years and I had to do lots of adjusting of an adult size pattern for my large 11 year old chickie, so I am pretty pleased with how it turned out :)

Carolinefixed102006.jpg

The back
Caroline3fixed102006.jpg

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Thanks very much Ladies...
It was a simplicity pattern but not from the site that you show, though it has some really cool stuff.

http://www.sewingpatterns.com/simplicity-patterns.html
She really wanted something a little more evening gown-ish but I wanted to start off with something that was cotton blends.

I tried making her a bonnet because I got a free pattern off of the simplicity website for it but she seems to think it is a dumb idea and just wants her hair done up. Apparently, she thinks I am a better hairdresser than milliner.

Sunny

One Too Many
I should have clarified - Sense & Sensibility (Jennie Chancey) has licensed her patterns to Simplicity. They're numbers 4055 (dress) and 4052 (chemise, short stays, and chemisette). There's a lot of directions and how-to's on the website, as well as on the forum. She's been selling the patterns for years, so there's a lot of info there. ;)

And for an 11-year-old, cottons are a lot better idea anyway. ;) But I want to see your bonnet!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Rosie, I can't wait to see you in your dress.

I wasn't sure if I was going to finish the bonnet since she wasn't interested but since I only have one piece left to sew for it I will complete it and get a photo.

I used a straw hat that I had and just basted it to reshape with clear thread so I don't plan on keeping the finished product. I like the original hat for sun shade!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Barbigirl the outfit truely is cute and so is that little sweetheart wearing it. I LOVE this thread so much and I hope I can contribute something myself soon. I guess only 2-3 weeks to go until I can show around my first self-made piece... :rolleyes:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I made this a while back for Costume College, but I took pics in it today, since I was inspired from watching Marie Antoinette last night.

1319828670_l.jpg

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
I made this a while back for Costume College, but I took pics in it today, since I was inspired from watching Marie Antoinette last night.

1319828670_l.jpg
OMG that is AMAZING! :eek:

I just saw Marie Antoinette today! (Loved it!)

Rosie

One Too Many
Wow Lauren:eusa_clap You never cease to amaze me with the things you make. I know how labor intensive they are. It goes without saying but, great job. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner