Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

HepKitty

One Too Many
gorgeous dresses Lottie! is it easy to find vintage patterns in Berlin? I'd love to get my little mitts on some German or French patterns

I made this for the homecoming parade, which was today. ISU's mascot in the Bengal tiger, and this was the closest fabric I could find to tiger-ish. that and it's spandex which was almost perfect for the dress

I made a pattern from the red polka dot dress, and since I was a little short on fabric, I cut the front in 2 pieces and put the wide ribbon over the seam to hide it. That and I like bows. I cut the front lower than I wanted so I had to put on a tank top underneath but oh well. I had to use a lot of bridal tape because the bias tape I used for the neckline did funny things to the fabric. Can you tell I'm not used to spandex. We won't talk about the hemline, which was finished at about 0100 right before bed this a m. Anyway here is the dress I used to make the pattern, I'm overall pleased with the pattern

http://www.dancestore.com/Swing-Dance-Dress-Red-with-White-Polka-Dots/productinfo/D-2220-RWH/

maristella

New in Town
Lottie and Miss Sofia- the shoes are from Shellys, but I think I bought them on Asos.
5026417770_cb3956de2b.jpg

The only drawback is that they've got a 5" heel and I'm used to flats so I can only totter around in them for about 10 minutes at a go! :eusa_doh:

Lottie

Familiar Face
Thank you for the help everyone :)

NancyLouise said:
Lottie, even if you're taller, you may still have a short back waist - could just be making up for it with long legs. I looked at a Simplicity sewing book I have from 1958, it lists back waist length on size 16 as 16 1/2", and size 18 as 16 3/4". Also, around 1958 Misses' patterns were targeted at an average height of 5'6" - only one inch away from you!
Good job :]

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. :)

HepKitty said:
is it easy to find vintage patterns in Berlin? I'd love to get my little mitts on some German or French patterns

Actually, no.. I get almost all of my patterns from Etsy or eBay. :(

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
My going out clothes I make myself when I find time.

I have not put a foot into a highstreet store for over 10 years.

Partly because nothing in the shops fits me, there is not much I like but most of all: when I do go out, I want to know that there is no-one else with the same outfit ;)

I do love hats, I find they are a great addition to any outfit.

This one I made 2 years ago ... the feathers are from a pheasant which was given to us (dead, i might add). I plucked the feathers, and then we cooked it :D. The buttons are of vintage age and the feather arragement on the other side is quite different, but I have never actually bothered taking a decent picture of it.

Btw, the red ears are because I have had plenty of red wine and garlic, it has that effect on me :p

thehat.jpg

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
004.JPG

I'm always looking for blouse patterns, and have been really partial to those from the late 50s and early 60s, like McCall's 4403, which is from 1957. It's version C that I was after, but those tight little sleeves where just not going to make it into the final version.

003.JPG

So I used the sleeve from this 1930s pattern, and made it from early 1940s fabric. Sounds like a time-warp mess, but I'm happy with the blouse!

001.JPG

crwritt

One Too Many
Gilboa said:
My going out clothes I make myself when I find time.

I have not put a foot into a highstreet store for over 10 years.

Partly because nothing in the shops fits me, there is not much I like but most of all: when I do go out, I want to know that there is no-one else with the same outfit ;)

I do love hats, I find they are a great addition to any outfit.

This one I made 2 years ago ... the feathers are from a pheasant which was given to us (dead, i might add). I plucked the feathers, and then we cooked it :D. The buttons are of vintage age and the feather arragement on the other side is quite different, but I have never actually bothered taking a decent picture of it.

Btw, the red ears are because I have had plenty of red wine and garlic, it has that effect on me :p

thehat.jpg

Pleased to meet you, I like your hat, and your creative approach to dress.
Such pretty feathers!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
fuzzylizzie said:
004.JPG

I'm always looking for blouse patterns, and have been really partial to those from the late 50s and early 60s, like McCall's 4403, which is from 1957. It's version C that I was after, but those tight little sleeves where just not going to make it into the final version.

So I used the sleeve from this 1930s pattern, and made it from early 1940s fabric. Sounds like a time-warp mess, but I'm happy with the blouse!
I love it fuzzylizzie it looks great.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Lauren - Too cute!! I used that same Bubble Girl fabric to make a summer housecoat!

Lottie - I really like the leopard collared brown dress! Perfect for Fall!

maristella

New in Town
I've finished my second dress! This pattern (Simplicity 3673) was so easy, if it hadn't been for the zip this could've been finished in a day.
5029896994_f533b8e923.jpg

I had to do the zip without a zipper foot, which was ok except for the bottom of it which I had to finish by hand. It turned out a little squiffy, but pretty alright.
5029897040_90bfa0011e.jpg

The pattern with this fabric feels a little like a school uniform to me, but it's by far my best finished garment so far, yay!

annet

One of the Regulars
maristella said:
I've finished my second dress! This pattern (Simplicity 3673) was so easy, if it hadn't been for the zip this could've been finished in a day.

I had to do the zip without a zipper foot, which was ok except for the bottom of it which I had to finish by hand. It turned out a little squiffy, but pretty alright.

The pattern with this fabric feels a little like a school uniform to me, but it's by far my best finished garment so far, yay!

that's adorable! can't believe it's only your second dress! if you want to de-school it, i'd say wear it without the shirt, and maybe add some color (bright shoes, a cardigan,...) just go for mature accessories and you'll be fine :)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I just made this one up too! It's soooo easy. I made the sheath version first and then the full skirt. I wore the full skirt version to work a few weeks ago without a blouse and it definitely changes the look. People kept asking me where I was going after work. This is one of my favorite patterns.
maristella said:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
maristella said:

I love it, it looks amazing!

I also have Simplicity 3673, but have yet to attempt making a dress (starting with smaller things). I was going to start off with the tried and true Butterick 4790.

Just wondering, if anyone has done both, which is easier? I have a ton of Butterick and Vogue vintage patterns, but want to start off with the easiest.

X
BD

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
Foofoogal said:
KittyAnneMalloo

Welcome. Nice skirt. It looks like linen on the fabric. Is it?

Welcome annet as well.

Thank you for the welcome:D

It is a wool blend, cream with a fine brown fleck so looks bone/fawn. I bought enough fabric and interfacing and lining to attempt the jacket but I need to build my sewing confidance a bit more first;)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Black Dahlia said:
I love it, it looks amazing!

I also have Simplicity 3673, but have yet to attempt making a dress (starting with smaller things). I was going to start off with the tried and true Butterick 4790.

Just wondering, if anyone has done both, which is easier? I have a ton of Butterick and Vogue vintage patterns, but want to start off with the easiest.

X
BD

Having sewed both Simplicity 3673 and Butterick 4790 I would lean towards Simplicity 3673. It's a more versatile piece and since it's a jumper, you can layer different tops under it for the colder months that are coming. I would save Butterick 4790 for a late winter, early spring project since IMO lightweight fabrics work better for that dress. :)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Great work everyone.

Here is my latest. You can't see the details for the buy print but I like it. It was really easy and I like the actual garment more than the pattern illustation.

1462eae79985.jpg
ed55bdc47ea5.jpg

b4583377a100.jpg
d9a6dc504bcb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran